Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Stattik Shiv vs. Phantom Dancer

Creator: FantasySniper January 25, 2014 1:18pm
FantasySniper
<Member>
FantasySniper's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2014 1:18pm | Report
Help me understand the viability between these items, like what champions would pick one over the other, or the situation that calls for either, etc. Or even if one entirely outranks the other.

My opinion is most likely wrong, so help me correct it: I'm leaning toward Statikk Shiv because I can't seem to find a reason to use it over Phantom Dancer.

Statikk Shiv

It seems to like it mostly for utility.

Avarice Blade will pay off it's terrible gold efficiency before mid-game, no matter how well you are doing, and holding on to it for longer is not such a bad idea either.Naturally procs with effects that take advantage of crit chance. (Even the Frenzy mastery)

The magic damage is nice for burst and certain moments in teamfights, especially since they might be expecting you to deal physical damage and respectively built armor.

Phantom Dancer

I see little use for the passive outside of the laning phase, in which time you would have built a more preferable item for sustain.
If you want to help me, teach me.
Hannul
<Inhouse Addict>
Hannul's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2014 1:22pm | Report
Statikk Shiv has 1% more ms and bonus magic damage over Phantom Dancer. dunno why you would want a fizz passive without the damage reduction by getting Phantom Dancer unless you wanted that extra 10% AS and crit

Basically how I play LoL
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2014 1:25pm | Report
really it all depends.

shiv is better early on (since its cheaper and builds out of avarice), and better for crit champions who want a little more wave clear.

pd is better late game, also good as a replacement for berserkers greaves if you already have 5 items and one of them already gives ms (like zephyr or shiv)
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2014 2:04pm | Report
Shiv is in general a better item because it's comparatively much more powerful in early and mid game, giving you extra burst, waveclear and poke power. BT + Shiv attacks hurt like crazy and will take something like a third health if they crit on an ADC. Plus Shiv is 300g cheaper.

If the game goes late PD is better for sustained single target DPS because the Shiv proc falls off a lot lategame when people have health + MR.
FantasySniper
<Member>
FantasySniper's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2014 2:48pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

Shiv is in general a better item because it's comparatively much more powerful in early and mid game, giving you extra burst, waveclear and poke power. BT + Shiv attacks hurt like crazy and will take something like a third health if they crit on an ADC. Plus Shiv is 300g cheaper.

If the game goes late PD is better for sustained single target DPS because the Shiv proc falls off a lot lategame when people have health + MR.

How would you foresee the need for PD? (If you can)
Is it worth (efficient) to replace SV with PD late-game instead?

btw, love your Caitlyn guide :)
If you want to help me, teach me.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2014 5:17pm | Report
It's usually pretty difficult to foresee how long a game is going to last. You can look at the team comps, analyse how the game is progressing and try to decide from there, but to be honest I just mindlessly go for Shiv 90% of the time. I don't think you can really go wrong with the choice though, both items are good and it's somewhat down to preference. It is worth replacing Shiv with PD, provided that you've finished your build.

Thanks friend. c:

Oh and because I just noticed the part about champions, generally you'd want to get Shiv on strong early/mid game champions who are less reliant on autoattacking constantly and PD on strong late game champions who are completely auto-reliant to synergize with what the pick does best. That said though, one could also make the argument for Shiv on a late game champion as a way to compensate for your champion's weak areas. As I said it's partly down to preference, but personally at the moment I'd usually favour something like:

PD: Twitch, Kog, Vayne, Trist
TF: Ezreal, Lucian, Corki
SS: Everything else
NateDog13
<Member>
NateDog13's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 27, 2014 2:29pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

It's usually pretty difficult to foresee how long a game is going to last. You can look at the team comps, analyse how the game is progressing and try to decide from there, but to be honest I just mindlessly go for Shiv 90% of the time. I don't think you can really go wrong with the choice though, both items are good and it's somewhat down to preference. It is worth replacing Shiv with PD, provided that you've finished your build.

Thanks friend. c:

Oh and because I just noticed the part about champions, generally you'd want to get Shiv on strong early/mid game champions who are less reliant on autoattacking constantly and PD on strong late game champions who are completely auto-reliant to synergize with what the pick does best. That said though, one could also make the argument for Shiv on a late game champion as a way to compensate for your champion's weak areas. As I said it's partly down to preference, but personally at the moment I'd usually favour something like:

PD: Twitch, Kog, Vayne, Trist
TF: Ezreal, Lucian, Corki
SS: Everything else

I partly agree with that little section you placed at the end, but I actually think you can make exceptions for certain champions for switch offs. I've seen a ton of Vayne's grab PD and SS, I've seen Ezreal's and Lucian's with SS, other than that it really just points out how superior SS is in terms of overall ADC play; since splitting/wave clearing for counter siege is such a big part of the meta. Statikk not only makes a champion better at all these things, but also allows them to have a harder burst, it really has become a core item for almost every ADC.
-Check out my Yasuo Guide (Click the Picture above, 4 Current Builds)!-
-Honorable Mention In The S4 Guide Contest!-

Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 27, 2014 3:01pm | Report
Maybe I look at it wrong, but I just think of Shiv being a cheaper version of PD. Not as strong, but cheaper so you can get onto your 3rd damage item faster.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide