Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Why is Gold considered high ELO?

Creator: regatto August 27, 2013 1:01am
1 2 3 4
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 1:59pm | Report
I was 950 elo in early S2, now I'm 2100 (comparable to bronze 3 - plat 2)
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 3:33pm | Report
I dont think Gold is high at all. Mid Elo feels more appropriate.

Yesterday I've played on my friend's Gold 1 account, MMR about Gold 2-1, and the overall lack of knowledge for players in the top 10% was disturbing.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
RaNuD
<Member>
RaNuD's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 9:27pm | Report
As I stated previously today, gold fits well my conception of "high" quantile. Then, AGAIN, you dont need to be especially aware of any subtle game mechanic to get there, which means I do agree it doesnt mean you are anywhere near competitive play when you reach gold.

Still, after doing some pretty basic maths, how can anyone state 12% of the population isnt "high ELO", or even "high-ish ELO"? It just doesnt fit any reasonable standard I know.
In a thread about his own ban,
gabpin wrote:
stfu I only did that : swearing and thats why i got ban are u ****** or something ?

In a thread about toxic players,
Go be a whiny baby elsewhere. Find and abuse the ignore button. No sense stinking up this forum with your crying.
regatto
<Member>
regatto's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 28, 2013 4:44pm | Report

Okay, how about you look at it this way?

Low elo: Bronze, Silver

Mid elo: Gold

High elo: Plat, Diamond

Obviously challenger is high elo too, but I don't treat it as a proper tier because only 50 people are in it at any one time. So leaving aside challenger, there's 5 tiers. The 2 lower ones are the low tiers, the one in the middle is the middle tier, and the 2 higher ones are the high tiers.

Gold should get to be in the high elo section despite not being high elo, because guides by gold players are almost always better than silver / bronze guides, and you need to be reasonably good to actually get gold anyway, as opposed to bronze / silver which are really absolutely no challenge at all. Even bronze level players just need to get lucky enough in their placement matches to get placed in silver, and they're silver for the rest of the season, provided they don't let themselves be Elo decayed.

But it would be very very very very very hard for anyone to get into gold by pure luck if they weren't at least at a silver 1 level.

yeah but, even though its about guide tagginng, i dont think you can consider a gold player better just because his guides are better, and the difference between how unranked/bronze/silver players look at a gold ranked player vs a plat ranked one is very big; platinum players get way more credibility because the climb is harder and platinum > gold outright (gold1 > plat5 is considered one of the toughest climbs for people that are plat+ in my experience and that of others i know).
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide