Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

[Suggestion]TID: Resolution

Creator: Alahric April 19, 2011 3:35am
1 2
Alahric
<Ancient Member>
Alahric's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2011 3:35am | Report

Sorry, I couldn�t help myself. However, this is the closest analogy I could get when it comes to what we truly are. Everyone wants this to be a democracy, but in reality it is just a really kickass dictatorship. When I asked why the moderators locked threads they found pointless, they directed me to this thread as a legitimate answer;

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/forum/mobafire-support/excessively-derailing-threads-and-trolling-discussions-will-no-longer-be-tolerated-3841

It seems to me that the moderators are doing Matt�s will, God�s will. Ironically this thread is locked as well, but it explains why they were doing it.

Matt wrote:
As was said earlier, if you EVER feel a thread was locked inappropriately you can use the report feature to ask that it gets unlocked, or if you want to ask an admin directly you can PM myself or Flash. We will always investigate any report or PM.

We do not want to stifle discussion in any way on this forum! The only reason we started cracking down is that the derailing was getting out of hand and we had MANY people ask us to start moderating this to prevent it. There was also a long discussion about this between the Vets, Alahric did you read that one?

I'm going to move this to the Support forum, that is a better place to discuss this. If you guys have feedback regarding what types of threads should and shouldn't be locked, let us know, we will always listen. The end goal is to make the forums a useful place for everyone, so obviously if people are unhappy with our level of moderation we can adjust it. That is why we started moderating more heavily in the first place, everyone asked us to :)

1. Should we lock threads if people are derailing topics, cursing, etc?
2. Should we report the people who were derailing topics, cursing, etc?
3. Should we ignore the people and thread altogether?

You see, here�s the problem; we don�t care enough about the threads to report people or report a thread that was locked because the one who locked the thread found it pointless. I would rather go on about a new solution.

1. Add a searchtool and warning to all the threads to avoid thread duplication.
2. Only use lock thread as last resort, just report it or let the thread die out.
3. Allow the author of the thread to be able to lock the thread.

[EDIT]: Move the thread instead of locking it, I'm thinking more of a junk folder or hell if you prefer.

Go!
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2011 3:43am | Report
If the author could lock his own thread, if someone posts something they don't like, they are going to lock it and shut down what could be someone else's valid opinion/true facts/whatever?

At least all of the locks that I have seen from the mods have been for valid reasons, whether inappropo, way too OT not in OT, offending, trolling, etc.

I think it is fine the way it is tbh.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2011 3:45am | Report
I'm a fan of Number 1 and Number 3 solution. You have my support homie.

EDIT: I admire your persistence lol

JHOIJHOI IS THE BESTEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD AND THIS SIG IS AMAZING TY <3
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2011 3:57am | Report
Search is definitely on the menu. I've got it planned out, just need time to do it.

I don't see how letting the OP lock their own thread would help, it would just be a tool to end an argument on your terms and piss off everyone that had joined in. I don't think we'd ever allow that.

I would love to hear people's thoughts on dealing with thread derailing and OT posts though.
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2011 4:00am | Report
Quoted:
I would love to hear people's thoughts on dealing with thread derailing and OT posts though.

The + and - thumbs like they have on the LoL forums, calculate the -'s by the total posts in the topic and if it reaches a certain value hide the post.
Australians, the best gamers in the world combined with the worst ping.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2011 4:19am | Report
I don't think we have enough users for that Adi, but maybe it could work if it requires only 10 or 20 votes. (it's like 100 or 1000 on the LoL forums)
"every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning,"" - Colin Campbell
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2011 4:21am | Report
Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of training people to not ruin threads in the first place :) However the collapsing of individual comments is something that could help. Via +/- vote on specific comments, and/or by allowing mods to force collapse a comment. That way the comment is still there, anyone can click it to expand and read, but if it's OT it can be "removed" in a way without stifling people so much.

Kinda like that idea myself...
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2011 4:22am | Report
Searz wrote:

I don't think we have enough users for that Adi, but maybe it could work if it requires only 10 or 20 votes. (it's like 100 or 1000 on the LoL forums)

That's why I said take the number of DV and compare them to the total posts in the topic. So it's a dynamic amount rather then a stagnant one.
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2011 4:24am | Report
Matt wrote:

Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of training people to not ruin threads in the first place :) However the collapsing of individual comments is something that could help. Via +/- vote on specific comments, and/or by allowing mods to force collapse a comment. That way the comment is still there, anyone can click it to expand and read, but if it's OT it can be "removed" in a way without stifling people so much.

Kinda like that idea myself...

Sounds good, I like the idea of both being available.

OT: Yes!!1 I'm 2 for 2 on helpful ideas! =3
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2011 4:27am | Report
Adonikam wrote:

That's why I said take the number of DV and compare them to the total posts in the topic. So it's a dynamic amount rather then a stagnant one.

Huh, where did you say that?
"Well, basically you should treat me like a prostitute." - TotalBiscuit
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide