Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

This is democracy.

Creator: Alahric April 17, 2011 3:30pm
55 posts - page 4 of 6
Alahric
<Ancient Member>
Alahric's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:41pm | Report
Zeprido wrote:

I personally agree with the mods on this issue, the Admins clearly want to crack down on derailment and trolling. I don't see a problem with continuing a conversation after questions have been answered, but when a topic receives posts with little to nothing to do with the original topic I don't see a reason to keep it open, those posts belong in an off topic discussion.
I may be the patron saint of lost causes, but aren't you being a being bias of the insignificant? Afterall, it's just one thread. One pointless disussion, with its first warning to be none the wiser.
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:46pm | Report
You quoted me before I added my other comment =/
Zeprido wrote:

When I see a thread start derailing, I try to get it back on topic, or reiterate a new direction for the original topic, usually citing eventual locking of the thread if we don't.

I try to warn them and get it back on topic (especially if I'm involved in the discussion) before the warning.

Matt wrote:

As was said earlier, if you EVER feel a thread was locked inappropriately you can use the report feature to ask that it gets unlocked, or if you want to ask an admin directly you can PM myself or Flash. We will always investigate any report or PM.

We do not want to stifle discussion in any way on this forum! The only reason we started cracking down is that the derailing was getting out of hand and we had MANY people ask us to start moderating this to prevent it. There was also a long discussion about this between the Vets, Alahric did you read that one?

I'm going to move this to the Support forum, that is a better place to discuss this. If you guys have feedback regarding what types of threads should and shouldn't be locked, let us know, we will always listen. The end goal is to make the forums a useful place for everyone, so obviously if people are unhappy with our level of moderation we can adjust it. That is why we started moderating more heavily in the first place, everyone asked us to :)

Brought this to the next page in case it was missed.
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:48pm | Report
@Alahric, the problem is it wasn't just one thread. For a while there it was getting somewhat rampant. It felt like we couldn't have a serious thread for more than 20 minutes before people went way off topic and started goofing around with each other. It's understandable, but it can ruin the forums for other users when it happens constantly.

Anyways, I ask for patience and continued discussion on topics like this. We are still trying to find an appropriate level of moderation for this site and it will be an ongoing process, your feedback is very helpful :)
Alahric
<Ancient Member>
Alahric's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:49pm | Report
Matt wrote:

As was said earlier, if you EVER feel a thread was locked inappropriately you can use the report feature to ask that it gets unlocked, or if you want to ask an admin directly you can PM myself or Flash. We will always investigate any report or PM.

We do not want to stifle discussion in any way on this forum! The only reason we started cracking down is that the derailing was getting out of hand and we had MANY people ask us to start moderating this to prevent it. There was also a long discussion about this between the Vets, Alahric did you read that one?

I'm going to move this to the Support forum, that is a better place to discuss this. If you guys have feedback regarding what types of threads should and shouldn't be locked, let us know, we will always listen. The end goal is to make the forums a useful place for everyone, so obviously if people are unhappy with our level of moderation we can adjust it. That is why we started moderating more heavily in the first place, everyone asked us to :)
Thanks, that pretty much clears it then.
The only issue is that people don't care enough about the threads that was locked, I mean the moderators locked them spesfically because they thought the thread was pointless. But I digress, I just didn't want this policing to get out of hand. I mean I talk about wierd things, inevitably it just wouldn't matter.

*pauses as the irony sinks in*

@Zeprido wtf, just, just.. wtf.
Anywho; you got a point, why warn with a lock that only seeds ignorance?
Tr4ce
<Member>
Tr4ce's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:52pm | Report
2bh I kinda hate when mods close discussions, even when their stupid discussions. It's Like HELLO? where not even fighting chill the heck down. If we are fighting, were using words. BIG WOOP!
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:53pm | Report
@Alahric It wasn't wrong to bring it up, to be honest, I was going to bring this up eventually myself.

Warnings in my opinion should include how the thread is derailing, and insist on-topic or near on-topic discussion.
When a thread is closed, it should include a more constructive or detailed reasoning than has been provided recently.
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
Alahric
<Ancient Member>
Alahric's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:56pm | Report
@Zeprido No, no, by all means; I agree with you.

Quoted:
2bh I kinda hate when mods close discussions, even when their stupid discussions. It's Like HELLO? where not even fighting chill the heck down. If we are fighting, were using words. BIG WOOP!
Exactly!
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 6:00pm | Report
The problem is that people are getting really fired up over arguments with words. We've had a lot of rage, a lot of drama, and a lot of bad feelings going around because of arguments on forums - it's not what mods are predicting, it's what has happened in the past and it's what the mods are trying to pre-emptively stop now.
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 6:16pm | Report
Honestly, I think it just needs some time for everyone to find a balance.
Alahric
<Ancient Member>
Alahric's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 6:19pm | Report
That only occurs when the people don't properly understand the opposition (happens to me a lot) or when people start attacking the person and not the argument. People have to decide for themselves what the resolution will be, its a matter of being self aware and respect. You locking the thread won't be much of a help really, I do however a gree that a warning would be suitable if they are doing the ladder.

But what if this is one-sided, or if the person refuses to acknowledge the points that are being made? You know people won't care enough to bring the discussion back on if you lock it, and warnings will turn up as nagging. I was led to believe we were to report the person, not the argument.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide