Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Magic Penetration

Creator: Goregrim May 22, 2011 2:22pm
34 posts - page 2 of 4
mobrebel
<Member>
mobrebel's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2011 7:17pm | Report
Flat and % depends on how much MR they have. At low levels of MR, it is better to get flat. At a certain point, which I think is about 80 MR that the enemy has, it is better to get percentage as it reduces more than the flat. BUT, keep in mind that flat goes before percentage.

Thanks to Scrax for my Evelynn Sig.I did the Yi, Anivia, and Udyr Sig.
Visit my signature shop! I will take requests!
http://www.own3d.tv/live/31072/Real_LoL <- My stream is UP!
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2011 10:14am | Report
OK, I got it now. Ty
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2011 10:30am | Report
Basically, if you use MR runes, you will have 14 magic pen or so.

Lets say you're comparing Void Staff with Abyssal Scepter.

If the enemy has 64 magic resist, you will take off 14, then take off 40% for the void staff, and you will be left with 30 magic resist.

With an Abyssal Scepter, you will take off 34 and be left with 30 magic resist.

40% Magic Pen = 20 magic pen @ 50 MR after flat reduction.

It's a bit of math, but just take their Magic Resist - Your magic pen, and if it's above 50, void staff is better.

Your average opponent will have 80 resists, so unless you have at least 30 flat pen, void staff is the superior choice.
Tri lane for life.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2011 10:32am | Report
30 flat pen is easy when you have a rune page with all magic pen glyphs and marks lol
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 2:44am | Report
% based pen is **** if you are already going for flat one.
Even on the tanks.
Usualy you go with Mpen Marks (sometimes Mpen Quits) and Sorc boots. That is usualy all you need against non tanks.
Your team should always be balanced about Magic/physical damage, so you wont see anyone mindlesly stacking MR till they reach 500.

% based MPen is something i would consider as a counter to active MR boosts from tank champs like Rammus or Mordekaiser.

Other than that, i would just go for Abysal Scepter, it gives YOU MR too maintaining decent AP too. And it is usefull for your team :P
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 7:49am | Report
DEWO wrote:
Your team should always be balanced about Magic/physical damage, so you wont see anyone mindlesly stacking MR till they reach 500.

unless they have a galio who's trying to "optimize" his passive
EDIT: stacked abyssal scepters ftl
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 7:59am | Report

30 flat pen is easy when you have a rune page with all magic pen glyphs and marks lol

30 flat pen is Sorc Shoes + marks.

Anything past Marks + Quints is just irresponsible.

At very least, the health from seals and CDR, Magic Resist, or AP from glyphs is superior to magic pen in most cases.

Also, assuming you get boots, it's not possible to reach 500 magic resistance without a full magic resist rune page.

The 30 Magic Penetration argument means a few things... If you get Sorc Shoes, Abyssal > Void Staff. (assuming 10+ magic pen from runes.)

If you get Merc Treads, Void Staff > Abyssal purely damage wise.
Tri lane for life.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 9:09am | Report
If they have more than 50 MR the last bit is true. If they do you might as well get sorc. shoes + haunting guise cuz you'll have better penetration up to 100 MR at that point. Void Staff is extremely situational.

I start with 14 magic pen on one of my rune pages, I was just commenting that you can start with nearly 30 if you have quints (which I don't).

I know you can't reach 500 MR, I was joking about stacking abyssals on Galio...since he gets AP for his MR...stacking several of them could give him a lot of damage output even if the aura only stacks once.
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 9:25am | Report

If they have more than 50 MR the last bit is true. If they do you might as well get sorc. shoes + haunting guise cuz you'll have better penetration up to 100 MR at that point. Void Staff is extremely situational.

I start with 14 magic pen on one of my rune pages, I was just commenting that you can start with nearly 30 if you have quints (which I don't).

I know you can't reach 500 MR, I was joking about stacking abyssals on Galio...since he gets AP for his MR...stacking several of them could give him a lot of damage output even if the aura only stacks once.

That was with 80mr, if you have 30 flat pen, they need to go above 80 magic resistance (Most people's base 30 + 50 from BV) in order to make Void Staff > Abyssal.

And yes, 50 magic pen would make void > abyssal till 100 magic resist.

Void Staff is situational, but if the enemy "carry" is a Sivir or a similar AD carry who might buy a Chalice or a Spirit Visage AND a BV like a WW, then I'll get a Void Staff. I usually run 34 magic pen.

Also, Aegis will bump a lot of carries above the 100 magic resist range.

Aegis is so good if one of your team mates gets one.

I know :s i was just being silly too.
Tri lane for life.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 9:40am | Report
stacking all of them would make you do true damage =D

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide