Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

New player.. Character Selection help (Zeratul)

Creator: Smurfeh November 6, 2013 7:01am
1 2 3
Smurfeh
<Member>
Smurfeh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 7:01am | Report
Hello,
I'm new to the game but not new to RTS games like this.. I primarily play Aeon of Storms which is a "starcraft 2" arcade version. Anyone familiar with the game I play a character called "zeratul"

I would like some help with character selection.
I would like to be able to initaite (either pull or swap positions with target) which could also be used as a method of escape, or saving a trapped Ally.
I would like to be able to have a quick attack speed with decent dps.
Would like a method of leaping into a target for a quick hit or two with a large bonus.

I'm sure there are a couple items that could help me achieve this my major concern is the pull or swap with selected targets, and Attack speed. Anyone familiar with AoS and the character Zeratul might be able to help me in the right direction. Thank you in advance for your time and help!! Good hunting!
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 7:10am | Report
Well, hi!

So there are 5 basic roles and I'm just going to suggest easy champions for each of them. Keep in mind that the game is more flexible than what I am about to suggest, but as a starting point, I'm just going to keep it simple:

Top lane Tank: Shen, Nasus, Renekton.
Mid Lane Mage/Assassin: Annie, Lux, Ahri, Karthus.
Jungler: Amumu, Nunu & Willump, Jarvan IV, Vi.
Ranged Attack Damage Carry (Marksman): Caitlyn, Ashe, Ezreal, Vayne.
Support (Marksman Aid): Soraka, Sona, Taric, Thresh, Alistar.

As I said, there is more than what I just mentioned, but as a starting point, it should be manageable for you. I've listed both cheap and expensive champions, so feel free to start wherever.

The other tip is to just go with champions you like the look of. During free week, you think that Fizz looks cool to play, you go experiment and see what comes of it!
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 7:10am | Report
What kind of help with character selection?

Blitzcrank and Thresh are hooking characters

If you want attack speed, get items with attack speed as a stat

There are many champions that can leap e.g. Kha'Zix
Smurfeh
<Member>
Smurfeh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 7:33am | Report
Alright, the help I needed with selection was outlined in the original post.

Anyone Familiar with AoS on Starcraft 2 that knows the character Zeratul will know what i'm looking for exactly, and will be able to help me quite a bit.

I Want to pull targets into towers, or save allies from danger.. or save myself from a gank or get out of a spot quickly with this pull or planar.

Also want to be able to jump into a fight, and deal one hard hit and then retreat quickly either through movement (running) or via the above mentioned pull or planar.

I may be new to this exact game but not new to these types of games.. Please if you think a very difficult to play character has the skill set I'm looking for mention him.. I have no issues PAYING cash for the character I want.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 7:39am | Report
Thresh matches that description best. If you forget about the hook part, Jarvan IV matches really well (initiation, dps and some defensive spells)

However, what you want is pretty much the 'perfect' champion (which would have everything). Hooks and spells to defend allies are support skills, while dps is a carry feature while initiation is a tank feature (some supports can initiate as well though).
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 8:17am | Report
Nobody has everything you've mentioned.

I would like to be able to initaite (either pull or swap positions with target) which could also be used as a method of escape, or saving a trapped Ally.
- Urgot Malphite Blitzcrank Thresh Nobody does all of these things but these are some characters that some of those things.

I would like to be able to have a quick attack speed with decent dps.
-Well, there goes Blitzcrank and Thresh. Malphite too. That leaves urgot.

Would like a method of leaping into a target for a quick hit or two with a large bonus.
-And there goes urgot. Nobody in this game has high dps, a hook, a swap, bonus damage, a gapcloser, etc. You are high, go home.

I suggest you try Jax. He can initiate, gapclose and escape, aoe stun, high attack speed and very high dps.

Or you can go back to playing your obscure game.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Smurfeh
<Member>
Smurfeh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 8:33am | Report
I'm sure we can do without the rude comments.. "You're high, go home" or telling me to "gtfo and play my obscure game.. but thank you for your input.
TROLLing1999
<Member>
TROLLing1999's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 8:58am | Report
sirell wrote:

Well, hi!

So there are 5 basic roles and I'm just going to suggest easy champions for each of them. Keep in mind that the game is more flexible than what I am about to suggest, but as a starting point, I'm just going to keep it simple:

Top lane Tank: Shen, Nasus, Renekton.
Mid Lane Mage/Assassin: Annie, Lux, Ahri, Karthus.
Jungler: Amumu, Nunu & Willump, Jarvan IV, Vi.
Ranged Attack Damage Carry (Marksman): Caitlyn, Ashe, Ezreal, Vayne.
Support (Marksman Aid): Soraka, Sona, Taric, Thresh, Alistar.

As I said, there is more than what I just mentioned, but as a starting point, it should be manageable for you. I've listed both cheap and expensive champions, so feel free to start wherever.

The other tip is to just go with champions you like the look of. During free week, you think that Fizz looks cool to play, you go experiment and see what comes of it!

you call lux easy? you miss a skillshot and then you're ****
also j4 needs some time to get used to his combos
vayne is skill-cap i don't call her difficult, but you must have great reflexes and be able to work with the limited range
thresh is quite hard to be used to his full potential because 1)his skillset consists of skillshot 2) teammates must be really good as well.

To the point now, there is no champion you describe simply because there must be balance between champions. Although you will find many broken or OP champions around this mainly due to meta changes(in items for example) that go well with one champions kit. Additionally, there is always one counterpick for every sigle character. So, yeah , LoL is a game around balance, numbers and strategy( probably that's the reason that stats from items are not as extreme as in Dota) and champions like the one you describe would change this.
So if you want a hook or swap-positions ability then go for:
- Blitzcrank, Thresh, Urgot
If you're looking initiators you can choose from many:
- Malphite, Amumu, Leona, Zac, Thresh and many more tanks offtanks/ tanks with gap-closing+CC abilities but not all of them in every case
If you want superhigh dps
- Vayne, Jax, Jinx, Master Yi and many more
If you like to go in, deal some damage and the go out, then i can only think of:
- Fizz, LeBlanc, Zed( and with zed it is not always possible)

Kha'Zix has huge burst damage and a gap closer, whose cooldown is reduced to 0 sec whenever you get a kill/assist(if evolved) and an ulti that gives his movement speed and invisibility for a little duration up to 3 times(if evolved- can't go into this now...look a kha'zix guide)
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 9:12am | Report

you call lux easy? you miss a skillshot and then you're ****

Yes, I do. Amongst all the skillshot champions in the game, she's got some of the easiest to hit. AoE E and R? Bouncing Q?

also j4 needs some time to get used to his combos

E+Q. Wasn't hard. He's one of the easiest junglers to get a grip of.

vayne is skill-cap i don't call her difficult, but you must have great reflexes and be able to work with the limited range

She's one of the few ADCs champion where you don't have to 100% focus on her skills and just need to auto. Sure, you won't be a GOOD Vayne, but she's easy to learn. Easier to learn dodging with Vayne's Q than Caitlyn's E. Also, the majority of ADCs have the same range as Vayne. There are about 3 who outrange her (about 6 if you include range increases like Draw a Bead).

thresh is quite hard to be used to his full potential because 1)his skillset consists of skillshot 2) teammates must be really good as well.

Who needs to learn the full potential? Who needs good teammates? He's just learning, ffs. Not to mention he actually wants a champion that hooks/swaps positions. Better Thresh than Blitzcrank. Thresh is a strong all-round support. If a skillshot is a bad thing, god forbid that you play a game where you need skillshots.

So if you want a hook or swap-positions ability then go for:
- Blitzcrank, Thresh, Urgot
If you're looking initiators you can choose from many:
- Malphite, Amumu, Leona, Zac, Thresh and many more tanks offtanks/ tanks with gap-closing+CC abilities but not all of them in every case
If you want superhigh dps
- Vayne, Jax, Jinx, Master Yi and many more
If you like to go in, deal some damage and the go out, then i can only think of:
- Fizz, LeBlanc, Zed( and with zed it is not always possible)

Kha'Zix has huge burst damage and a gap closer, whose cooldown is reduced to 0 sec whenever you get a kill/assist(if evolved) and an ulti that gives his movement speed and invisibility for a little duration up to 3 times(if evolved- can't go into this now...look a kha'zix guide)

*Criticises me for suggesting Thresh, then suggests Thresh*
*Criticises me for suggesting Vayne, then suggests Vayne*

***** please, sit the **** down.
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 11:16am | Report
I think I kinda remember playing something like that in SC2 and from what I remember and what you said Zeratul was a mobile assassin-ish character.

The two characters I find the most would suit what I'm thinking of are Talon and Zed. They're both powerful assassins and can both jump onto a target, deal a huge amount of damage to them then escape with ease. They don't have pulls but the rest of what you described they have. Few champions in this game have pulls.
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide