Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Support Thresh Help

Creator: TrowlingForSoup January 25, 2014 4:37pm
TrowlingForSoup
<Member>
TrowlingForSoup's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2014 4:37pm | Report
Which ability should I max first? Death Sentence or Dark Passage? Death Sentence cd is reduced, meaning more initiations for the adc, but the increased shield on Dark Passage helps him and your jungle tower dive with more security.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2014 4:58pm | Report
There's plenty of guides on the subject. But generally I prefer maxing Dark Passage before Death Sentence (assuming you're maxing Flay first as you should be). I only max Death Sentence second if I'm like, fed as hell and we're dunking people.
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2014 5:29pm | Report
Yep, R>E>W>Q.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
STeeDofDooM
<Member>
STeeDofDooM's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 28, 2014 3:34pm | Report
As support, you'll want to max Flay first, and Dark Passage second. One point in Death Sentence at Level 2 will suffice.
Check out my XERATH and NIDALEE Guides!
Please comment any tips/advice; always looking to improve!
Inquisitor_Kane
<Member>
Inquisitor_Kane's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 6, 2014 10:43pm | Report

As support, you'll want to max Flay first, and Dark Passage second. One point in Death Sentence at Level 2 will suffice.

Exactly. But if I'm laning against extremly good enemy bot lane (like when I got platinum Jinx against me in provisional match), I sometimes put my first point in Death Sentence on lvl 3, as lantern would be more effective for saving my ADC or safe soul collecting, at lvl 2.
I thank myself for this awesome sig!!!
Stomper
<Member>
Stomper's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 11, 2014 5:51pm | Report
Most guides and people are going to tell you to max Flay first. It's the safest way to play Thresh and it works in every situation- whoever your opponents are, whether you're ahead or behind, it works great.

However, there are niche situations where it's going to be far more beneficial to max Q for the increased CDR. A rank 5 Q with 40% CDR has a 4.2 second cooldown... you can easily get around 17.3% CDR from Glyphs/Masteries and 20% from your Talisman = 37% CDR midgame. All this allows you to grab easily twice, maybe three times per engagement.

I feel it's a playstyle that often gets overlooked, but definitely check it out- it might suit you :). However, like people have been saying, Flay is usually the way to go.

When I max Flay, I run 0/21/9 or 9/21/0.

When I max Death Sentence, I run 4/5/21 (4 Offense points in CDR, 5 Defense points in Block, Recovery, and Unyielding).

Exactly. But if I'm laning against extremly good enemy bot lane (like when I got platinum Jinx against me in provisional match), I sometimes put my first point in Death Sentence on lvl 3, as lantern would be more effective for saving my ADC or safe soul collecting, at lvl 2.

Fair points. However, you really want to pick up Death Sentence at level 2. Thresh's level 2 power spike is so great that even if you're getting zoned, just hitting level 2 and picking up Death Sentence can unzone you. The 2 or 3 souls are not important enough to warrant getting a point in lantern at level 2. Getting Dark Passage at level 2 makes you extremely vulnerable to an all in, as you won't be able to retaliate if your opponents capitalize. And finally, if Thresh is in a position where throwing Dark Passage to his ADC would save them, then he's way underextended because he isn't in a position to Flay enemies away from his ADC or utilize the poke damage from Flay's passive.

tl;dr IMHO, if you're getting zoned at level 2 picking up a point in Death Sentence is only going to make it worse by delaying your power spike and making you even more vulnerable.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide