Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Viable Tanks

Creator: SpoonyBard November 21, 2010 11:29am
27 posts - page 1 of 3
1 2 3
SpoonyBard
<Member>
SpoonyBard's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2010 11:29am | Report
New player and have yet to purchase a champion. I see that the link in the Sticky is currently down so I hope no one minds me creating a thread.

I'd like to know which pure tanks are viable at the higher levels of play. To make things a bit harder, I'd also like to know which on the list can not be purchased in a bundle (should I choose to buy the bundles, I don't want to waste IP).

Galio, Garen, Gragas, Mordekaiser and Shen are all listed as tanks (in the wiki) and are not available in bundles. Though I have read that Morde is not a pure thank and that Shen is often banned in ranked play. Any opinions or insight into these champions (or any that I may be missing) would be greatly appreciated.
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2010 11:35am | Report
Galio, Shen, and Amumu are often banned in ranked play and they are probably the best tanks in the game. Gragas I see as more high HP AP character but that's up to debate. Mordekaiser indeed is not a tank but he can push a turret and farm minions like no one's business. Can't really speak to much for other tanks such as Rammus.

caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2010 12:12pm | Report
idk what the bundles are, mostly because i have a lot of champs so it'll be a waste, also because i'm trying to not spend money and so far its working.

as b-wong said shen galio and amumu are some of the best tanks in the game, and i'm pretty sure rammus is up there too somewhere.

i also like to play gragas and singed, but they are more ap-offtanks than full tanks.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2010 3:26am | Report
Thread no # 1919418952952 "which champion to get" and no # 9294528 Which tank is the best...
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Valgrave
<Member>
Valgrave's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2010 3:48am | Report
Been playing malphite as my main tank in my clan for a long time. Amazing denyer, best iniater in the game, almost industructible early game and amazing harraser. Although he falls under the off-tank better ( we normally have a Shen jungle in our set up)
Ernil
<Member>
Ernil's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2010 6:23am | Report
One of the most viable tanks in game, and generaly ignored by the community is NUNU. Amazing jungling capabilities, with a never ending HP pool build correctly.

Give it a try the champ is cheap and easy to get used to.
My mains with guides !

Scrax
<Retired Moderator>
Scrax's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2010 6:32am | Report
And not to mention very easy too use, ey Ernil? :)
Chaotic Bliss
<Member>
Chaotic Bliss's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2010 7:00am | Report
One of the best tanks for engaging is

He ranks up there is Amumu in terms of starting team fights, and he scales with armor so thats a plus. His passive gives him a bubble that will block 10% of his health and it comes back up if he isnt attacked for 8sec... I think. He is also easy to use. Great farmer and Harasser. Can deal insane dmg, and one of the best tanks.

Links below lead to victory. Choose your path

Pillars of Justice

Seeds of Chaos

Open your minds

Skype me at: chaotic_bliss1
Valgrave
<Member>
Valgrave's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2010 7:20am | Report
Way to read my post chaotic bliss.
Scrax
<Retired Moderator>
Scrax's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2010 7:30am | Report
Valgrave, I believe Chaotic Bliss is allowed to post his own opinion on this, regardless of previous posts?
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide