Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

A new day, a new Beta

Creator: Thatdudeinthecotton August 9, 2013 2:10pm
18 posts - page 2 of 2
1 2
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2013 7:39am | Report
WoW meets WoW, with a dash of WoW thrown in for good measure, is the best description. Guys, Wildstar has some cool concepts, but it's basically just a straight MMO in a fairly traditional style. Cinematic trailers mean absolutely nothing about a video game, so please don't judge games based on them. This video includes some 30 minutes of gameplay, which is a much better way to judge a game.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2013 8:07am | Report
lifebaka wrote:

WoW meets WoW, with a dash of WoW thrown in for good measure, is the best description. Guys, Wildstar has some cool concepts, but it's basically just a straight MMO in a fairly traditional style. Cinematic trailers mean absolutely nothing about a video game, so please don't judge games based on them. This video includes some 30 minutes of gameplay, which is a much better way to judge a game.

Thank you, o voice of reason.
""Toshabi took thy **** and strucketh Hotshot in his face 'thou art no god'" Toshabi 3:16" - Toshabi

"And then, TheJohn said something so Brazilian that it made all the Brazilians in Brazil turn to look at him" - Toshabi

"abloobloo ur triggering me" - Toshabi
Thatdudeinthecotton's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2013 8:08am | Report
I will concede that there are hefty similarities to wow in terms of its basic structure, however from everything Ive seen so far, wildstar seems to improve on almost all of the systems being implemented by wow.
For example, combat is not only lock on based, but also area based, meaning more emphasis on moment to moment positioning.
There are also classes tailored to play-styles outside of combat, such as engineers who can build actual towns in the game world, which can then be used as checkpoints for other players that stumble across them.

So yeah, its WoW-ish, but I personally see it as having potential to be its own thing.
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2013 8:19am | Report

For example, combat is not only lock on based, but also area based, meaning more emphasis on moment to moment positioning.
There are also classes tailored to play-styles outside of combat, such as engineers who can build actual towns in the game world, which can then be used as checkpoints for other players that stumble across them.

Other MMOs have done these things, although perhaps not necessarily well. Games that have not done these things, or much even vaguely resembling these things, include: Borderlands, The Sims.

It's well known that the MMO genre is highly iterative, in that each successive game builds off of what games before it have done. Wildstar is one such MMO. While it seems like a lot of its systems and combat are a step forward from other large-name MMOs, Wildstar is still just an MMO and is still only doing MMO things. Let us temper our comparisons a little.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2013 12:19pm | Report

The first thing that struck me was how much like WoW it looked. Hahaha
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2013 12:58pm | Report
I saw some gameplay and tbh this doesnt look awesome at all to me any more. Like others said it looks really WoWish ingame and it seems that it's just another traditional MMORPG with a few gimmicks. Also I googled the business model and it looks like one of those games that restricts you a ton unless you pay a subscription. I don't think they have officially said the business model yet though.
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2013 1:13pm | Report
Play TERA instead. It's Free 2 Play and has no real restrictions other than the amount of characters you can have on your account. You do of course get a decent amount of bonuses for paying, but nothing you can't get for free by spending a little time. (there are also cosmetic items you can pay for)
I've only heard good things about the business model it has.
"I walked up to her big butt and asked her *** butt what." - Lil Wayne, lyrical genius

"I can't decide where I stand on abortion, on one hand it is killing children, on the other it gives women a choice." - ???
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2013 1:34pm | Report
Meh I'm not in the market for an MMORPG anyway lol (and I already dl'd TERA)
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide