Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

AI in video games

Creator: Blowfeld October 9, 2011 1:55pm
18 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
Blowfeld
<Editor>
Blowfeld's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2011 1:55pm | Report
Asking a little provoke:

Am I the only person who has the feeling that since F.E.A.R. back in 2005 the video game industry has made regress in enemy AI?
The reason why I do not play any single player modes any more is the totally dumbed down AI in video games.

It's either streams spawning out of scripted points, guys running into enemy fire, more scripted events and everything either acts dumb, misses path-finding or is totally predictable.

Can somebody point me to a pc game that restores my faith in programmers?
Fox Rage wrote:
Blowfeld. Best Party Wrecker Worldwide.
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2011 2:02pm | Report
You ever think "Maybe I've gotten exponentially better"

If you play shooters they blend together and eventually you find yourself killing the same goons with different guns. All of a sudden a game that felt impossible to you 5 years ago feels amazingly easy because you've gotten better than the new technology that's been created.
Rudmed
<Editor>
Rudmed's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2011 2:04pm | Report
So put it up to super hard and watch yourself get obleriated, and then you feel your victory again.

Its like gears of war on insane, you'll be staring at a locust...then just in chunks as 200 some locust just chainsaw ********ed you.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2011 2:12pm | Report
Honestly, they have toned down AI in video games. And difficulty in general.
Early difficulty levels are easier while the higher up ones are just brutal.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
Blowfeld
<Editor>
Blowfeld's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2011 3:47pm | Report
The problem I have with higher difficulty levels is not that the AI seems to act smarter, they just aim more precisely and deal more damage, but they still act dumb...
Fox Rage wrote:
Blowfeld. Best Party Wrecker Worldwide.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2011 4:37pm | Report
I LOVE F.E.A.R. Such a great game.

You ever think "Maybe I've gotten exponentially better"

If you play shooters they blend together and eventually you find yourself killing the same goons with different guns. All of a sudden a game that felt impossible to you 5 years ago feels amazingly easy because you've gotten better than the new technology that's been created.

Nope.

The AI has gotten dumber. But that's not all. The difficulty overall has been reduced drastically over the years.

Blowfeld wrote:

The problem I have with higher difficulty levels is not that the AI seems to act smarter, they just aim more precisely and deal more damage, but they still act dumb...

Exactly.
The moment a religious person unknowingly calls his own ways stupid: "And lol. I highly doubt you have magic powers. If you proved it I would believe you, but since you 'refuse to', I choose not to."
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2011 4:42pm | Report
I LOVE games that require skill and thought. Most games nowadays are just very bland and easy Q.Q

While I may just be better and more patient than other players, I love really hard games like Ninja Gaiden. Games that aren't hard in an unfair way (like in CoD on the hardest difficulty, all enemies have aim bot and kill you in 2 shots if not a headshot which is ~30% chance).
I really wanna play Dark Souls and Demon Souls, but I don't wanna buy a console :/
They seem like just the kind of games I love.
"He cooked cake." - MrCuddowls

"Oh forget it, I have nothing to hid, I admit it, 12 hours of every single day of my life ever since I was eleven years old have been anal sex with canoes" - MrCuddowls
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2011 4:50pm | Report
I thought FEAR was a good game, but honestly, when I played it at a friends house, I almost **** my pants. I jump at almost anything (I jumped today when a Lee Sin hit me with his Q or something, I forgot, but I remember jumping, and I've jumped before when I've heard shotguns being fired on FPS games), and god does that game have a lot of jumpiness in it.

For people that like the horror genre, FEAR is great, for me, no thanks.

I'd definitely agree that games are targetting a more casual audience now, though. Hell, even compare the early Pokemon games to the ones now. If you got Charmander in Pokemon Red/Blue, tough luck. Brock will destroy you unless you farm. Now you can just get Metal Claw...

I too like a bit of thought and skill in games I play (challenge chambers for Portal <3) - though meh, you don't get too many nowadays.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2011 4:58pm | Report
Lol, FEAR isn't that scary :P

It's medium to easy on the scares :p

Amnesia is a little worse :)
I didn't **** my pants many times, but the dark cellars (before I figured out how the monsters behaved) made some serious brownies in my pants.
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F Roberts
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2011 5:13pm | Report
yeah searz, there are a lot of good games out there on the ps3 (cant really speak for xbox) and with the recent price drop i think its a good deal. plus demons souls is only on the ps3 and you can get that for like 10 dollars used.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide