Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

BUNGiE is doomed.

Creator: caucheka May 22, 2012 3:29am
6 posts - page 1 of 1
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2012 3:29am | Report
this might be a bit of old news right now but bungie signed a 10 year contract with activision back in 2010.

due to the current lawsuit between the original cod creators and activision, activisions plans for bungie were brought to light, and it doesnt look good at all.

bungies next game will release in 2013, a sci-fi fps mmo that a former employee likened as 'wow in space'. it will originally launch as a xbox360/nextbox exclusive, and a ps3/pc port is possible, along with the future titles being released on ps3/pc, it just depends on profitability. knowing activision its not coming to the pc in the first place, anyway..

the game is called destiny, and as mentioned its release is in 2013 as part of their contract to release 4 games, one every other year. so that means we'll be seeing destiny 2 in 2015, destiny 3 in 2017, and destiny 4 in 2019. not only that, but they are also required to do a dlc pack every other year, being 2014,16,18, and 2020.

not only that, but activision is allowed to axe the contract at no cost if the first destiny doesnt sell 5 million units in 6 months. considering 'It will be sold in shops, but will be boosted by DLC, subscriptions and micro-transactions.' i highly doubt it will sell 5mil in 6 months.

bungie is also allowed to work on a sequel to its 1994 mac project, marathon, but can only devote 5% of their total manpower towards this project.

source as usual: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-22-bungies-mmo-style-sci-fi-fps-destiny-out-2013-as-an-xbox-360-next-xbox-timed-exclusive

i fail to see why bungie would even want to sign this contract in the first place, the only benefit i'm seeing is that bungie has free reign over its new ip after the contract is expired or terminated. considering too they just left 'WE OWN YOU' microsoft a few years ago, you'd think they wouldn't instantly jump back into a heavily controlling contract.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Diesel
<Veteran>
Diesel's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2012 9:50am | Report
Well, at a business standpoint, Bungie is bound to make a ton of money off this deal, and frankly as any business looking to strive and make profit: Activision is one business that knows how to make profit. As much as gamers want to White Knight the industry by wanting developers to make the game for the gamers true intentions, these games are not cheap. Even for Bungie who could be swimming money from the Halo Franchise, those profits from those games will diminish quickly and soon developing Destiny will be out of their pockets.

Think of it this way: you could develop Destiny out of your pocket and risk finicial situations getting the game out, with the possibility of it not selling well due to lack of advertising (due to shortage on money), lack of manpower, and lack of solid time management. Or you could sign with Activision, have an ample supply of funds, manpower, and advertising campaigns to boost this original IP, also with the ability to continue making DLC and new titles for their community. You could say the same thing happened with Guitar Hero and we all saw where that went, but while Guitar Hero was a one-trick pony: Bungie has a lot to work with with this new ip, so I believe in them and Activision on this one.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2012 12:06pm | Report
even still, a subscription cost ontop of dlc and a cash shop, as an xbox360/720 exclusive for nearly a year? thats the part that i'm worried about.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2012 12:17pm | Report
^Are you sure about that?

That would be enough to kill any game..
"I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m ****ing ******ed but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding." - Guuse

"uh, I identify as counterstrike and I find this globally offensive" - ???
Diesel
<Veteran>
Diesel's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2012 12:35pm | Report
caucheka wrote:

even still, a subscription cost ontop of dlc and a cash shop, as an xbox360/720 exclusive for nearly a year? thats the part that i'm worried about.

The sub cost probably won't last long considering how well F2P games are doing nowadays, plus with the Cash Shop, one doesn't have to use it, unless they make it Pay to Win, which is a different issue. Plus, with the 360/NextBox exclusivity, Halo didn't see the light of day on any other consoles, so I'm not surprised they are only doing 360 at first, it's really all they know.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2012 2:03pm | Report
Searz wrote:

^Are you sure about that?

That would be enough to kill any game..

it says that in the source i posted.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions: