Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Free Online Games

Creator: Shrillex September 15, 2010 6:39pm
27 posts - page 1 of 3
1 2 3
Shrillex
<Veteran>
Shrillex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2010 6:39pm | Report
Since LoL is free (even though I bought it) and I know everyone loves free games I was hoping that maybe we can make a list of free games people might like and try out.

http://www.quakelive.com/ - Great old school fashion frag fest for your browser.

http://www.nplay.com/ - Graphics look amazing for a web based game.
Gigaffect
<Member>
Gigaffect's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2010 2:45pm | Report
Alien Swarm

Free game available on Steam. Top-down alien shooter with awesome graphics and full online play as well as unlockable gear. VERY win.

Click on them. You know you want to. Except Jax. He's just there for color.
Yo, I'm Urgot. See that plane? BOOM.
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2010 6:04pm | Report
Alien Swarm had a lot of potential but, when I tried it it was nearly impossible get into an online match because there was so few people. Has that gotten better? I'd love to see Valve take that game a step further and turn it into something people would pay for and really play.

On the topic of Valve and awesome multi-player co-op, it's not free but, Left 4 Dead 1/2 are super cheap now and for the amount of awesome in those games, the price is negligible. I won't tell you how many hours I've put into those games, it's embarrassing :D I played so much that I have developed zombie-fighting muscle memory.

More on topic though, this is one of the few free MMOs that I've put more than a few hours into... Sword of the New World (now called Sword 2). It stands out for a few reasons... It has a very unique setting, everything is Victorian/Spanish influenced. The music is a mix of electronic (including a few tracks from DJ Tiesto I believe) to more traditional fare. The main difference about the game though is that you don't control one character. You pick a family name, and then you can create a bunch of family members. When you go into the game, you pick three to take with you, and you control all 3 at once. So if you're in a party of 5 players, that is 15 characters fighting. They also automatically attack (and heal each other), so you can actually find a safe spot and go afk for a while and they'll keep leveling. It's balanced so you level much faster and can go into much harder areas while playing, but still have the option of going afk in weaker areas if you like. Also as you finish quest lines, some NPCs will give you their character cards, and then you can add them to your family and play as them. It has PVP but I don't know too much about it as I didn't get too far into it.

Anyways it's a pretty weird game, as most free to play MMOs tend to be, but I like it :)
Gigaffect
<Member>
Gigaffect's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2010 6:57pm | Report
To be honest, I didn't play Alien Swarm too much (especially since my computer got FUBAR), but in the time that I did play, I had no trouble finding online matches. If you played it when it just came out, you might want to give it another shot. There isn't a whole lot of gameplay, but it IS free! I wouldn't be surprised if they made it just to test the idea and Alien Swarm 2 will come out as a game you have to purchase.

Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2010 7:40pm | Report
Yeah they're totally testing the waters. Same thing they did with Portal, CS, TF, now DotA. Valve rocks. Other companies would have charged money for Alien Swarm, Valve looked at it and said "no, we can do better, make it free and see what happens" :) I hope they do more with it.

Anyone play Minecraft? I tried it and I can't figure out what the point is. Apparently the non-free version is a lot different from the free one, but I was bored after 5 mins lol... Ended up digging a hole down through the ground and found a weird cave, then got to the bottom of the map and didn't feel like getting out and closed it :D

Oh another one to try is Global Agenda. The free portion is restricted so if you really want to play the game you have to buy it, but then there is no monthly fee and I believe they've knocked the price down quite a lot. It's a class-based, sort of mmo, third-person shooter built on the Unreal engine. Worth a shot, I dumped quite a lot of hours into it.
Shrillex
<Veteran>
Shrillex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2010 7:52pm | Report
Allods by gpatatoe is an incredible good free mmo. If you like wow you'll like allods because it is another wow clone but in my opinon is the best one. Great graphics, story art, space ship battle! and pretty good game for free. Space opera wow style game. Play like wow and eventually you get your own ship is what I'm trying to say.
Gigaffect
<Member>
Gigaffect's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2010 8:49pm | Report
Oh man, Minecraft is such a chill game. I got so mellowed out listening to that music and looking out across the vast expanse of the largest level size...

I've seen Allods and it's BASICALLY a cooler version of WoW.

Spelunky is an Indiana Jones style side scrolling platformer that's free to download and AMAZINGLY FUN. It's randomly-generated, so you'll never play the same level twice! They're currently working on an Xbox LIVE Arcade version with massively improved graphics, so be on the lookout for it.

Also, if you ever get the urge to try Combat Arms, please, for the love of God, IGNORE IT. You will play for ten minutes, get killed by a hacker and regret downloading it.

B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2010 9:11pm | Report
Oh my god Minecraft.. I watch playthroughs and I don't know why but I'm so interested in buying it but... I probably won't commit to building a house for 8 hours and stuff haha. Listen to Gigaffect. Save a child, don't play Combat Arms. PLEASE.

As for me, there's 2 Shooters I'd reccommend:

A fairly low-graphic but really fun if you ask me (kill badge image mods make the game that much more fun for some reason) and it'd be Crossfire. Find it at http://www.crossfire.z8games.com/ I don't play it as much as I used to but for a free FPS the quality of this game is hard to beat (especially cause it's pretty good graphics but you don't need a higher-end comp to run it).

For a big more powerful computers, there's S4 League. Go find it yourself but the game itself is (IMO) a pretty stylish, fun freeruning 3rd person shooter. It's a bit overwhelming at first but after playing a good 3 games you should know what's going on.

Shrillex
<Veteran>
Shrillex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2010 9:31pm | Report
Anyone play LOCO? It's suppose to be like Dota but instead of controlling your champion you actually play them. I'm interested but I don't know if its worth downloading.

Edit: Just go to mmohut.com for all free online games. They have reviews for a lot of games.

Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2010 5:11am | Report
Hey guys, Minecraft is having a "free weekend" if you wanted to try it. His servers got overloaded because the game got so popular and he has had to temporarily disable the registration and authentication stuff, but the game still works. So until he has that all fixed it's free to play. More details on his temporary homepage;

http://minecraft.net/
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide