Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

I'm curious

Creator: Devampi August 2, 2015 12:01pm
27 posts - page 2 of 3
Which MOBA will have the biggest community after several years.
Jack Rubino
<Member>
Jack Rubino's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2015 12:27pm | Report
If i'm not wrong lol's community counts over 36kk of players, while dota 2 do not reach the 10kk mark or something like that, do not remember the exact numbers, but i've seen it on the LoL vs Dota 2 on Game theroists channel.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
BigBoxGamer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2015 12:33pm | Report
As of January, 2014 the community counts over 67 million players per month.
Short Term Goals: Silver/Gold/Platinum || Long Term Goals: Diamond/Master/Challenger
Devampi
<Member>
Devampi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2015 4:00pm | Report
From what I've seen from DotA player arguments, as soon as you learn to chase like a boss. You got it made in DotA 2, that and I would say DotA is actually the easiest one to play because it's all chasing.

I'm not so sure if I agree with this statement. it all depends on your team comp which tactic is going to be used.

And if you are new to the game and you master the farming like a pro (like the minimum is 50 creeps in 1st 10 mins for a carry with 65-70 being really nice. and on 20 min you go to ~150 and 40 you want to be up in the 300+ at least as safe lane carry mid and other lanes are a lot trickier). really having a good gpm can really boost your early days (oh and LH is a bit harder then in LoL as the life bar is different and attack animations of course. to top that of denying). also fun fact the highest GPM is around 1750 GPM (it's possible but only for someone using alchemist)

really from the chasing statement I don't see it that well as normally when you see pro's chasing it looks a bit the same as LoL only with a higher chance of tower dives (as towers are less scary). the game feels more like farming for me as with the "stacking" mechanic you can easily get a ton of gold (triple stacked ancient camp is already a good ~750 gold and ~1000 xp)
you also see people farming if they have some free time. or you even see carries not joining a teamfight if they are behind.

If i'm not wrong lol's community counts over 36kk of players, while dota 2 do not reach the 10kk mark or something like that, do not remember the exact numbers, but i've seen it on the LoL vs Dota 2 on Game theroists channel.

yeah well that was like 3 months ago according to the unique player a month counter dota has had 11,250 mil unique players in the last 30 days.
even smite passed 10 mil smite accounts (not unique players but total made amount of accounts).
The LoL numbers are already mentioned.

EDIT: probably posting the results from the other fires friday
Just some random guy from smitefire that visits sometimes.
Jack Rubino
<Member>
Jack Rubino's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2015 4:58pm | Report
Devampi wrote:

I'm not so sure if I agree with this statement. it all depends on your team comp which tactic is going to be used.

And if you are new to the game and you master the farming like a pro (like the minimum is 50 creeps in 1st 10 mins for a carry with 65-70 being really nice. and on 20 min you go to ~150 and 40 you want to be up in the 300+ at least as safe lane carry mid and other lanes are a lot trickier). really having a good gpm can really boost your early days (oh and LH is a bit harder then in LoL as the life bar is different and attack animations of course. to top that of denying). also fun fact the highest GPM is around 1750 GPM (it's possible but only for someone using alchemist)

really from the chasing statement I don't see it that well as normally when you see pro's chasing it looks a bit the same as LoL only with a higher chance of tower dives (as towers are less scary). the game feels more like farming for me as with the "stacking" mechanic you can easily get a ton of gold (triple stacked ancient camp is already a good ~750 gold and ~1000 xp)
you also see people farming if they have some free time. or you even see carries not joining a teamfight if they are behind.

yeah well that was like 3 months ago according to the unique player a month counter dota has had 11,250 mil unique players in the last 30 days.
even smite passed 10 mil smite accounts (not unique players but total made amount of accounts).
The LoL numbers are already mentioned.

EDIT: probably posting the results from the other fires friday

well ye, like i said, i didn't remember the exact numbers, and it was quite some time ago that said video was released.
"Cross over."
Devampi
<Member>
Devampi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2015 2:56pm | Report
And, that team ended up placing 36th on the pro leader boards as where the teams filling up with League of Legends players fill the top 10.

small question that I forgot. which team was it? and also about which teams of LoL are you talking that are in the top 10 in HotS (because I think you are picking some of the big names like C9 or fnatic. only part is the names may be the same but the team/roster is different in most cases)
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
BigBoxGamer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2015 3:44pm | Report
They just happen to be among the best Heroes team, I'm not picking them because I know them best I'm also picking at the best Heroes of the Storm player, former LCS player Zuna of which he plays on Tempo Storm and they're the number one team in HotS. Now, another fact about TS is that their team captain only ranked Platinum in League of Legends. This is at it goes as based on statistical fact, League of Legends is harder than Heroes of the Storm which is harder than DotA 2. The DotA 2 being the hardest argument was relevant until now, because we have statistical evidence that it's not.
Short Term Goals: Silver/Gold/Platinum || Long Term Goals: Diamond/Master/Challenger
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2015 3:54pm | Report
They just happen to be among the best Heroes team, I'm not picking them because I know them best I'm also picking at the best Heroes of the Storm player, former LCS player Zuna of which he plays on Tempo Storm and they're the number one team in HotS. Now, another fact about TS is that their team captain only ranked Platinum in League of Legends. This is at it goes as based on statistical fact, League of Legends is harder than Heroes of the Storm which is harder than DotA 2. The DotA 2 being the hardest argument was relevant until now, because we have statistical evidence that it's not.

I think you're only turning the bias on your favor. DotA is just sufficiently different to both HotS and LoL to have players having difficulties going in between them. The same doesn't happen to HotS-LoL because they're similar in some way...

EDIT: I say this from personal experience, hence the "in some way". Playing HotS felt similar to LoL, with the burden of farming changed to a heavier team-game focus. On the other hand, DotA has a bigger burden on farming+denying while also having to participate with your team.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2015 4:35pm | Report
Ekki wrote:

I think you're only turning the bias on your favor. DotA is just sufficiently different to both HotS and LoL to have players having difficulties going in between them. The same doesn't happen to HotS-LoL because they're similar in some way...

Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2015 6:03pm | Report
FalseoGod wrote:

Huh, k.

On-topic. I think we all like to compare this to previous cases, but I think this is a game-changer (heh, because it's a game), maybe along tf2. The whole true free to play scheme on a worldwide scale is just... too accesible.

Anyone that gets a new pc can just download it and start playing, and if you're good enough, you have a built-in system that opens the door to pro-play (the ranked ladder). This is valid for all MoBAs, but LoL is just the one with the best head start. Maybe DotA2/Smite will make a great marketing move that turns around the landscape, or maybe Riot will f*ck up and go down by themselves, but as things stand now, LoL seems like a solid long-term online game. Think of it as WoW, but free.

I voted that Smite may surpass DotA2 only because it has something unique to it. Or maybe it will go down as many other MoBAs that didn't find a big enough playerbase to sustain themselves. I'm just guessing it won't.
Devampi
<Member>
Devampi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2015 12:58pm | Report
The DotA 2 being the hardest argument was relevant until now, because we have statistical evidence that it's not.

1st of you didn't awnser one of my questions in my last post.

2nd I never stated something about the difficulty of the game only about the learning curve. Dota has IMO the most things you need to learn (steepest). and if we talk about hots and a learning curve then IMO we are talking about the lowest learning curve (of the 4 firesites moba as infinite crisis stops). A game being difficult has multiple different reasons.

Ekki your right one of the reasons LoL has such a big community is because they were the first moba to be f2p and Dota 2 came around ~2 years later I believe (and I believe even dota 1 is still prefered for some players).
Also about switching between Dota HotS smite LoL only to dota (and if I hadn't started out with understanding moba's in smite probably smite too because cam view) gave me problems as it did with friends the other way around (from dota to LoL as some of my friends did) it was less dificult only certain things like if we take me after playing a lot of dota: being used to portal scrolls or being used to not spammng skills early game to help farm. or for one of my friends LoL jungling (he hasn't tried it yet but he did notice it) and champs that don't use mana (he was suprised he didnt have a mana bar when he tried Garen for the first time XD)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide