Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Low cost PC

Creator: Searz May 25, 2012 9:41am
15 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2012 9:41am | Report
So I'm planning on making this PC for a relative.
I want to cut down on costs wherever it's possible, but I still don't want it to be worse than his old pentium 4 3.0GHz 2GB RAM PC. And it's a bonus if it can play LoL at a good framerate.

I'm thinking about scrapping the HDD completely and just run the OS from a 32 or 64GB USB stick since he doesn't really need any more space than that. There's a ton of money to save there. I'm pretty sure the USB will provide a better speed than a normal HDD too. The problem though would be whether I can get windows to run on a USB or if I'm forced to use Linux.
Anyone here knowledgeable about running an OS from USB?
I'm not 100% sure that the motherboards supports USB booting, but all motherboards nowadays should support that, right?

I've set my sights on 2 motherboards with integrated CPUs. Intel D2700DC and Asus E45M1-I Deluxe. Both CPUs are roughly equal in speed(comparable to a single core P4 at ~2.7GHz).
Pros with Intel: half the price (100$ less)
Pros with AMD: USB3.0 (things load faster; since windows will run from USB)
300% stronger graphics (might handle LoL at a decent framerate at lowest settings)
Runs RAM in 1300MHz (vs 1066 intel)
Has built in Wi-Fi.

Which one seems best? I'm leaning towards the expensive one.

Please suggest any other options in that price-range that you think might be good.

The things I'm looking at cost roughly:
Motherboard+CPU: intel 100$ vs AMD 200$
DVD reader: 40$
RAM: 50$
32GB USB stick: 40$
Case: 50$
So a total of ~280 or 380$.

Electronics are more expensive in Sweden than in the US(just btw).
"You can't have your privacy violated if you don't know your privacy is violated." - Mike Rogers, U.S. Representative for Michigan's 8th congressional district, 2013
I.e: Mike Rogers doesn't think it's rape unless the victim knows (s)he has been raped. Sounds legit.
Knukles141
<Member>
Knukles141's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2012 11:08am | Report
Well, mine was bought last year and it was 170$ (I'm from portugal btw, so the price range there won't be much diferent)
I went with a last generation Intel Pentium 4 of 3.4GHZ with 2 CPUs, 3GB of RAM, ATI Radeom 2600 HD PRO and with just this i can still run almost every game, even Crysis 2 all maxed out. So if you want quality/price hardware i recommend these.
Oh forgot to mention, LoL runs at least at 40 FPS constantly.
Hope This helped in any way :P
I hate ELO HELL v.v
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2012 11:34am | Report
Well, um, that PC was used, right?
I'm looking for a new computer, not a used one.
Thanks anyways.
"He cooked cake." - MrCuddowls

"Oh forget it, I have nothing to hid, I admit it, 12 hours of every single day of my life ever since I was eleven years old have been anal sex with canoes" - MrCuddowls
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2012 2:44pm | Report
omg this is painful

why do you need a computer for that cheap D:

it would only be like $30 more to get an actual 500gb hdd lol

and yea you won't be able to run league on the intel I'm pretty sure, the AMD one seems much better

but still

D:

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2012 3:46pm | Report
It's gonna be used primarily for web browsing. So there's no real need for any power. That bonus graphic performance just in case some kid would like to play some time.

And 500GB doesn't go that cheap in sweden. Besides, the USB stick I'm looking at will be as fast as a first gen(old) SSD.
I also might be able to get an old HDD and just skip that purchase altogether.

Knukles141
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2012 7:23pm | Report
It was fresh new out of the box . That's why i mentioned or i wouldn't have told you that in case it was used cuz buying used comps is just bad o.x
I hate ELO HELL v.v
Warlemming
<Member>
Warlemming's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2012 7:36pm | Report
I don't believe Microsoft allows you to install Windows onto USB drives of any sort, since they don't want people loading it up on any PC you want and being able to modify internal HDDs by booting up your OS instead of the onboard OS.
Knukles141
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2012 7:41pm | Report
It is possible, i tried it. It's really hard to do, you have to directly connect it to the motherboard and only then you can install windows in it. If you plug it into a regular USB Slot it won't allow you to install because windows detects it as a USB Stick, if you plug it directly it will detect it as a HDD.
I hate ELO HELL v.v
Warlemming
<Member>
Warlemming's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2012 7:43pm | Report
So you basically are going to use it as a tiny HDD.

I still think it's silly lol, you're better off paying the little extra to get some actual space.
Knukles141
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2012 7:48pm | Report
Not me, Searz is. I just tried that when my old lappy had it's HDD burnt and i had no other way .
I hate ELO HELL v.v
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide