Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Official Mobafire PC thread

Creator: Vynertje August 3, 2015 11:59am
541 posts - page 17 of 55
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2015 11:14am | Report
Agreed with Searz, just to add a few things regarding your questions

@Motherboard:

I just linked the Asus one because it was reviewed as one of the best Z170 motherboards at the 130-200$ price-range. You get things like improved audio chip, extra m.2 support, network chips, extra usb 3.1 etc

@PSU:

The Corsair one linked is one of the best available power supplies on the market right now. For a setup with a R9 390 650W is more than sufficient. If you decide to switch to a GTX 970, 550W will do 100% fine too.

@ GPU:

I agree that Nvidia is better for streaming, but if you're only going to stream League it doesn't really matter imo. I've never had any issues streaming on an i5 + R9 290.

If you're looking at the 970, I'd recommend the MSI one - though none of them is bad by any means.
Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2015 11:27am | Report
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gJVfTW

Here's my build so far, any recommendations for a good cheap monitor and should I get a wireless network adapter too?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=897886&Q=&is=REG&A=details
(thoughts?)

Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2015 11:32am | Report
Bryun wrote:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gJVfTW

Here's my build so far, any recommendations for a good cheap monitor and should I get a wireless network adapter too?

What games are you planning to play? If you're just looking to play on a cheap 60hz 1080p monitor your 390x is overkill.

A monitor I'd consider well suited for the rest of your build is the Dell Ultrasharp U2515H (1440p IPS), should be around 300$ so I don't know if you consider that cheap, but it feels like a waste to go with anything lesser than that with this build.

Also yes you should get a wireless network card if you're going to play on wireless internet. ATX motherboards for socket 1151 with integrated wifi are super expensive right now.
Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2015 11:50am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

What games are you planning to play? If you're just looking to play on a cheap 60hz 1080p monitor your 390x is overkill.

A monitor I'd consider well suited for the rest of your build is the Dell Ultrasharp U2515H (1440p IPS), should be around 300$ so I don't know if you consider that cheap, but it feels like a waste to go with anything lesser than that with this build.

So far league, and a few steam games, I just want a good PC that can handle gaming and photoshop/rendering etc. tbh
Is there any other cheaper monitor I could buy that has 1440p IPS and a 144Hz refresh rate? for around $200 or less. I was looking at korean monitors and they are pretty cheap but I'm just worried they won't work with the rig? Korean Monitors. Should I change the graphics card then, will I just be wasting it if I don't buy a good monitor?

EDIT: Can you tell me a good Wireless Network Adapter as well?

EDIT2: Just saw your other post

@Motherboard: Is the one I chose better/worse? I'm really anal about getting my money's worth and I saw the ASUS motherboard had barley any reviews on pcpartpicker and looked online at the one I have now compared to network/audio chips.

@GPU I'm probably only going to be streaming league so I guess I'll just keep the same GPU unless you think the 970 are still better overall. (What about the 980?)

Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2015 12:28pm | Report
@Monitor: Don't think there are any 1440p IPS 144hz monitors out there for <300$. The one I just linked is only 60hz too. I don't know anything about Korean monitors but in general you get what you pay for.

@Networking: I don't know much about network adapters too (read: nothing at all), try look for some reviews online (preferably professional ones).

@Motherboard: The Gigabyte one looks really good. Most of the review's I've seen on the latest Gigabyte motherboards have been quite positive so I think you're good with that one.

@GPU:

In general (looking at games only, not streaming), the hierarchy is:

1080p: 970 = 390 < 390x < 980
1440p: 970 < 390 < 390x ~ 980
4k: 970 < 390 < 980 < 390x

I'd consider 970/390 the ultimate cards for 1080p, being able to run the most intensive games (GTA V, Witcher 3) maxed out bar the AA. Everything above that like the 390x is just going to be overkill unless you run 144hz.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2015 3:23pm | Report
Vynertje wrote:
I agree that Nvidia is better for streaming, but if you're only going to stream League it doesn't really matter imo. I've never had any issues streaming on an i5 + R9 290.

Well yeah, but it's incredibly inefficient. Using hardware encoding takes a huge load off the CPU, making the PC cooler, quieter and draw less power, alongside with potentially increasing the FPS.
Bryun wrote:
@GPU I'm probably only going to be streaming league so I guess I'll just keep the same GPU unless you think the 970 are still better overall. (What about the 980?)

No, I'm quite adamant that you should be getting a GTX970 if you're gonna be streaming. You're not only gonna get a much more efficient way to stream, but also a great way of recording video. You can set up OBS to be record the last 5minutes of play and then just press a button to save it, with little to no performance loss.
"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends." - Albert Bandura

"Ultimately, if people lose their willingness to recognize that there are times in our history when legality becomes distinct from morality, we aren't just ceding control of our rights to government, but our futures." - Edward Snowden
Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2015 4:04pm | Report
Vynertje wrote:
@Monitor: Don't think there are any 1440p IPS 144hz monitors out there for <300$. The one I just linked is only 60hz too. I don't know anything about Korean monitors but in general you get what you pay for.

@Networking: I don't know much about network adapters too (read: nothing at all), try look for some reviews online (preferably professional ones).

@Motherboard: The Gigabyte one looks really good. Most of the review's I've seen on the latest Gigabyte motherboards have been quite positive so I think you're good with that one.

@GPU:

In general (looking at games only, not streaming), the hierarchy is:

1080p: 970 = 390 < 390x < 980
1440p: 970 < 390 < 390x ~ 980
4k: 970 < 390 < 980 < 390x

I'd consider 970/390 the ultimate cards for 1080p, being able to run the most intensive games (GTA V, Witcher 3) maxed out bar the AA. Everything above that like the 390x is just going to be overkill unless you run 144hz.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rZm2sY

I changed the parts a bit, I'm just going to buy the 390x since there's not much of a difference in price and if I ever feel like it I can just switch to 1440p.

I downgraded my CPU, I don't understand the difference between an i7 vs. i5 if you could tell me what I would be missing if I didn't buy the i7. (and is that the best i5 to date that I chose?)

mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2015 4:17pm | Report
Bryun wrote:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rZm2sY

I changed the parts a bit, I'm just going to buy the 390x since there's not much of a difference in price and if I ever feel like it I can just switch to 1440p.

I downgraded my CPU, I don't understand the difference between an i7 vs. i5 if you could tell me what I would be missing if I didn't buy the i7. (and is that the best i5 to date that I chose?)

The i7 has hyperthreading and the i5 doesn't. Think of hyperthreading as doubling the number of cores a processor has. The number of cores isn't really that important for gaming though, so the i5 is prohably the better call. The i7 has 4 instead of 3,5 ghz, but that isn't worth over 100$(especially since you can overclock the i5 if you really want the extra speed).
I AM NOT AFFECTED BY ELOHELL. NOOBS AND TROLLS NEVER RUIN MY RANKED GAMES.
I DON'T GET STUCK AND I NEVER GET ONLY 2LP FOR A WIN.

I AM UNRANKED.

also check out my Ryze guide
Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2015 4:47pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Well yeah, but it's incredibly inefficient. Using hardware encoding takes a huge load off the CPU, making the PC cooler, quieter and draw less power, alongside with potentially increasing the FPS.

No, I'm quite adamant that you should be getting a GTX970 if you're gonna be streaming. You're not only gonna get a much more efficient way to stream, but also a great way of recording video. You can set up OBS to be record the last 5minutes of play and then just press a button to save it, with little to no performance loss.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7dRnRB

Ok I made further changes.
Is that the best GTX970 brand I could get? I heard GIGABYTE is really good.
A friend also told me I should upgrade my RAM to 16Gbs, is that really necessary to do in fear of "bottle-necking my performance from my graphics card"

mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2015 4:56pm | Report
Bryun wrote:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7dRnRB

Ok I made further changes.
Is that the best GTX970 brand I could get? I heard GIGABYTE is really good.
A friend also told me I should upgrade my RAM to 16Gbs, is that really necessary to do in fear of "bottle-necking my performance from my graphics card"

unless you regularly have like 20-30+ browser tabs open or something like that, you won't need more than 8 right now IMO. If you have no idea what to do with your money, you can still go 16, it isn't that expensive and 8 prohably won't be enough forever, but right now 8 is perfectly fine.
As a rule of thumb, I'd say go 8 unless you know why you need the additional memory.
I AM NOT AFFECTED BY ELOHELL. NOOBS AND TROLLS NEVER RUIN MY RANKED GAMES.
I DON'T GET STUCK AND I NEVER GET ONLY 2LP FOR A WIN.

I AM UNRANKED.

also check out my Ryze guide

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide