Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Official Mobafire PC thread

Creator: Vynertje August 3, 2015 11:59am
541 posts - page 48 of 55
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 25, 2016 5:24am | Report
So the fan on my laptop has started deciding to suddenly be very loud at seemingly random moments. Can anyone tell me why it might be doing that and, more importantly, how to make it stop?

It could be a security threshold where the fan spins up to avoid dangerously high temperatures.
You can start by trying to clear out the dust inside. Put a paperclip in the fan so it doesn't spin and then blow compressed air through it.
You could also look through the PC and try to uninstall as many programs as you can that aren't important (programs, not games, because games almost never have background processes). Then you can open the start menu type "msconfig" and press enter. Put it on selective startup, go to startup and uncheck any boxes that aren't for something vital (post a screenshot if you're unsure).
"Gold can't buy you rape." - Mr Sark
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 25, 2016 8:13am | Report
It seems to start doing it by being tilted wrong
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 25, 2016 8:41am | Report
It seems to start doing it by being tilted wrong
To me this sounds like an example of "correlation does not imply causation". Does the laptop perhaps stand on a different surface when it's tilted? Heat (also) goes out through the bottom of the laptop, if those ways are blocked off or if the laptop stands on a rather hot or isolating surface, heat may build up faster.

There's always a chance that a software bug causes this behavior, but I find it unlikely that being tilted can be a cause (unless your laptop is physically falling apart). I think Searz is right on the money.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 25, 2016 10:23am | Report
Just picking it up and accidentally tilting it while doing so can cause this to start, even there's nothing actually touching the bottom and it's placed back where it was before. Still going to do this other stuff, but it doesn't just start happening without being moved.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 25, 2016 12:48pm | Report
Well then I'm afraid that this is more a technical issue than a computer issue ^^'

Maybe the fan isn't attached properly?
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 25, 2016 2:08pm | Report
(unless your laptop is physically falling apart).

Well if software and overheating aren't the cause of this, all that remains is physical.

If the fan motor or bearings are broken then you have to replace the fan. Have fun with that D:
"I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m ****ing ******ed but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding." - Guuse

"uh, I identify as counterstrike and I find this globally offensive" - ???
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 25, 2016 6:10pm | Report
There's no way to get anything in there to stop the fan, turns out, the openings under the fan aren't big enough to fit anything sturdy enough to actually stop the fan in there.

Honestly, unless fixing the fan myself is super easy and cheap, I'll probably just not mess with it. The insurance I paid for on this laptop isn't up yet, but I bought it online so I gotta send it to be looked over. I won't have any sort of backup computer to use while this one is away being looked at until I get my old laptop back, so I can just wait until I have my old laptop and do it then. x.x
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 25, 2016 7:22pm | Report
There's no way to get anything in there to stop the fan, turns out, the openings under the fan aren't big enough to fit anything sturdy enough to actually stop the fan in there.

Are you trying to stop it while the PC is running?
You should be doing it while it's OFF. A normal paper-clip should be plenty.

It's not easy and probably not cheap, go ahead and send it in. Do make sure you try to blow through it before you send it away though.
And make sure you back up anything important to your other PC or a cloud service before you send it away. Just in case you'll need a replacement.
"If someone is ****, you point at them and declare "****!". Because this is the internet." - Serpentiferous

"The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and little girls are the FBI." - ???
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 25, 2016 8:12pm | Report
No, I wasn't doing it while it was running, I just couldn't find anything small enough to even fit in there in my apartment. No paperclips here xD

I'm gonna figure stuff out anyways, but until I have a back-up computer I'll just deal with it.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2016 7:52pm | Report
Sorry for the double post, but I've started having an actual problem. I'm not really sure this is the place to post it, but posting on the Skype boards hasn't even gotten a response, let alone help. I've been having some issues with video calls causing my laptop to freeze. As long as my webcam is not being used by Skype, I can be in a call for extended periods of time with no issues. If I turn my video on, however, it will eventually completely freeze my laptop and I will have to force shutdown by holding the power button. I'm pretty certain this is a Skype specific problem (other things using my webcam don't cause any issues).

The only other thing I can seem to find is that Kernel-Processor-Power might be giving me event ID 37 when the crashes are happening, maybe. I didn't note the exact time of the last crashes in reference to the errors, but some of them to be close to the same time.

Not sure if this matters, but here's what realtemp says the temp is

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide