Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Overheating laptop

Creator: IceCreamy May 28, 2013 3:28am
55 posts - page 3 of 6
Satella
<Member>
Satella's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 28, 2013 9:49am | Report
You pay a price premium for convenience, that's how it is. Gaming laptops aren't all bad; some of them are well worth the money.
Rewriting Riven Guide Useful Programs Thread Sig making
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 28, 2013 9:49am | Report
Yeah but I want to play LoL at school. So I really need a way to use my laptop for gaming ^^ Gonna lower my settings now.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 28, 2013 10:33am | Report
IceCreamy wrote:

Tuning down the LoL settings might help, but then I'm afraid I'll be more busy changing stuff back and forth, instead of playing :P

Turn on VSync. That should help since the GPU will be resting in between frames instead of churning out 100FPS or something. Turn shadows to blob or off completely btw.
Quoted:
I suppose I could try to use Game Booster, I have it installed anyways but I don't use it.

That **** is pretty useless unless you've got a RAM shortage (which you don't seem to have) or if you're really bad at managing your PC and tend to install all kinds of junk programs on it.
Satella wrote:

Gaming laptops aren't all bad; some of them are well worth the money.

Are you kidding me? That seems awful.
Dual GPUs are known to be troublesome and using that in a laptop can't be sane for a number of reasons..
And while you may think that the i7 used in portable systems isn't that far off the i7 used in a desktop system, the difference is actually pretty large.
I think it's almost to the point where the desktop CPU has double the performance of the corresponding laptop CPU.

I could buy a 700$ PC that is faster than that laptop and get a 250$ Chromebook or whatever to use on the go.
That would cost me less AND give me better performance when playing games.
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 28, 2013 11:42am | Report
I tried turning off the shadows but that makes everything look so... weird... as if everything is just flying :S

For now:

Character: Very Low
Effects: Medium
Environment: Low
Shadows: High

I've also tried lower Shadows but then you start seeing squares instead of properly shaped shadows.

Also Game Booster says there is a 42 % increase on performance.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
Satella
<Member>
Satella's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 28, 2013 11:49am | Report
Searz wrote:

Are you kidding me? That seems awful.
Dual GPUs are known to be troublesome and using that in a laptop can't be sane for a number of reasons..
And while you may think that the i7 used in portable systems isn't that far off the i7 used in a desktop system, the difference is actually pretty large.

Dual GPUs actually don't suffer that much microstuttering anymore, especially with the Kepler generation of Nvidia chips.

Searz wrote:

I think it's almost to the point where the desktop CPU has double the performance of the corresponding laptop CPU.

They are literally the same piece of silicon with the mobile CPU clocked down for thermal reasons. If you can keep the laptop adequately cooled, turbo boost kicks in and you're going to get compute performance similar to a non-overclocked desktop CPU.

The real discrepancy comes from the i5 CPUs, which are quad-core for desktops but dual-core for laptops.

Searz wrote:

I could buy a 700$ PC that is faster than that laptop and get a 250$ Chromebook or whatever to use on the go.

Oh? Please do. I'd love for you to try and fit keyboard, mouse, 1920x1080 monitor and all the tower components into a $700 budget and beat dual 650Ms in framerate. Don't forget the SSD cache either.

EDIT> I just tried it and actually you can, so disregard what I said above. I went the route of Ivy Bridge Pentium + Radeon 7850 and managed to fit everything into a $700 budget. Still, if you want portability, a laptop is the way to go. Don't be this guy.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 28, 2013 12:53pm | Report
Satella wrote:

Dual GPUs actually don't suffer that much microstuttering anymore, especially with the Kepler generation of Nvidia chips.

That's one problem. There are a few very prominent problems with dual GPUs that get even worse on laptops. Dual GPUs on a laptop is pretty ******ed, seriously.
Quoted:
They are literally the same piece of silicon with the mobile CPU clocked down for thermal reasons. If you can keep the laptop adequately cooled, turbo boost kicks in and you're going to get compute performance similar to a non-overclocked desktop CPU.

You're right, it's probably just the GPUs that are CRIPPLED compared to the desktop variants. It's more like 40% on the CPU side alone.

Quoted:
Still, if you want portability, a laptop is the way to go.

I disagree. Tablets are the way to go. At least for most people.
They're much lighter, smaller and often have double the battery life compared to a laptop.

GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 28, 2013 12:54pm | Report
Searz wrote:

That's one of the MANY problems. Dual GPUs on a laptop is pretty ******ed, seriously.

Awful to program for Dual GPUs as well.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 28, 2013 12:55pm | Report

Awful to program for Dual GPUs as well.

Scratch that. The problems aren't actually that numerous, they're just really big.

I could give more insight into why it's so damn stupid to use in a portable machine if needed.
Google has a job title called "Head of Black Community Engagement"..
I don't know whether to cry or laugh.. or both.
Satella
<Member>
Satella's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 28, 2013 1:04pm | Report
No ****ing way am I typing 120 WPM or doing any sort of compute-heavy work on a tablet. Laptops and tablets serve two different purposes.
YayaFTW
<Altruistic Artist>
YayaFTW's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 28, 2013 1:05pm | Report
IceCreamy wrote:

I already had Game Booster installed, it says I have somewhere between 45 and 65 degrees Celcius :P

The regular for me is 70°C and I'm using a cooling base. Intel Core i5 Hewlett-Packard laptop.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide