Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

So I've been playing quite a bit of DOTA 2 latley.

Creator: MrCuddowls May 16, 2013 5:37am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
PotatisFarfar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2013 6:30am | Report

Yea, when I played, the green spirit always took control first, and it has the stun. Didnt care to figure out the other ones until the green one died. Since they go through rotation as they drop anyway, it didnt bother me not to micro them, especially because they are essentially free health bars to brewmaster.

Controling multiple units with multiple abilities is a scary thought i know...
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2013 6:33am | Report
I dislike micromanagement in any game. Is that a crime? :p
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2013 6:35am | Report

I dislike micromanagement in any game. Is that a crime? :p

Not really ;). Just might have choose the wrong genre to play thats all.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2013 7:05am | Report
Hence why I play League and not DOTA. ;p
Atlas
<Member>
Atlas's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2013 7:30am | Report
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2013 8:03am | Report
^heathen

Sig made by Tamy
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2013 9:35am | Report

So lets get some point clear from the beggining. League of legends is Easier and more casual. Nothing wrong with that mind you but it is a fact.

Both are still very hardcore games and the difference really isn't as big as to warrant a discussion or honestly even mention.
What is worth mentioning however is the fact that LoL (and most newer MOBAs/ARTSs) has a more transparent game mechanics. And that is definitely a good thing. That mainly makes the game easier to learn.
Quoted:
So you can't say one is better than the other (Even though Dota is better pure feature wise and on a pure technical level).

You mean features surrounding DotA 2 like ingame guides and stuff? That's kind of true, but at the same time by that definition DotA 1 is far inferior to LoL. Same goes for the 'pure technical level'.

If you're talking about things like denying or other game mechanics as features, then you're just being stupid.
Quoted:
First of... Yes the Dota 2 community is general more nice and better. Why? Well it is a multy layered answer. First we have the fact it is not open to the public yet, yes it is incredible easy to get a hold of a key but it still takes some effort from the players part. Because of this there will be less (almost only kids) just jumping into it for a quick try. Add onto that the fact there is no ingame currency or real rankings into the game, people are more interested in having a good game than winning. ANd finnaly the more complex nature of the game means that it will attract an more adult playerbase by default.

You're making many assumptions that you have no way of proving. Stop it.

There's a very high probability that DotA 2 has near identical problems with flaming and griefing. NOTE that I say high probability because I cannot prove this statement.
Quoted:
And what is this Unresponsivness i hear about? Have you all been playing against Bat rider or what? It is called Turning animations people.

And that's an archaic game mechanic that quite literally ALL other MOBAs/ARTSs have phased out.
It's a game mechanic that is unclear to newer players and is ultimately very unnecessary as it really doesn't bring anything to the table. That is why it is gotten rid of.
Trust me on that. As an aspiring game dev and general smart person.
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2013 9:49am | Report

And what is this Unresponsivness i hear about? Have you all been playing against Bat rider or what? It is called Turning animations people.

The turning animations and the RNG are both old skool game development techniques. RNG was used extensively to model certain events or to make things more versatile. For example something should stun longer based on a bazillion factors. Back then, that was actually really hard to do and required a ton of effort so RNG was a great solution to the issue. Nowadays we can do so much at the same time that we don't need RNG anymore. Turning animations is the same thing, it's a method to hide that the computer is actually running a path finding algorithm. Nowadays, we can do that so fast so there's no reason for them anymore. Nostalgia is a bad thing in game design.
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2013 12:24pm | Report
Searz hello old buddy!

Quoted:
Both are still very hardcore games and the difference really isn't as big as to warrant a discussion or honestly even mention.
What is worth mentioning however is the fact that LoL (and most newer MOBAs/ARTSs) has a more transparent game mechanics. And that is definitely a good thing. That mainly makes the game easier to learn.

Yup both is hardcore to any one new to the genre of dota style games. But you gotta be pretty naive to say there is not huge differences between league and Dota. Hence why i am saying you can not really say one is better than the other. Atleast not when it comes to gameplay.

Quoted:
You mean features surrounding DotA 2 like ingame guides and stuff? That's kind of true, but at the same time by that definition DotA 1 is far inferior to LoL. Same goes for the 'pure technical level'.

If you're talking about things like denying or other game mechanics as features, then you're just being stupid.

Denying and all that stuff goes into the thing i just talked about. you know the things you said "Was not even worthy of mention". And i am not just talking about Guides here, hell not even graphical fedelity. I am talking about basic features like a working replay, spectator and broadcasting system. And last time i checked Dota 1 had a replay system, while League does not, that and you don't have to buy every hero. So i would even go as far to say the original Dota is better in a pure tech way. Oh and not to mention: ADOBE ****ING AIR

Quoted:
You're making many assumptions that you have no way of proving. Stop it.

There's a very high probability that DotA 2 has near identical problems with flaming and griefing. NOTE that I say high probability because I cannot prove this statement.

Clearly the **** players are gonna be griefing *******s. But the funny thing with Dota 2 is. When you start reaching Mid-high+ rankings. People are actually acting like adults. Don't you trust me? Fair enough, but i would bet my life that if you check the replays of the Dota 2 Games and compared them to leagues repla... Ohh nevermind, guess it is a mystery.

Quoted:
And that's an archaic game mechanic that quite literally ALL other MOBAs/ARTSs have phased out.
It's a game mechanic that is unclear to newer players and is ultimately very unnecessary as it really doesn't bring anything to the table. That is why it is gotten rid of.
Trust me on that. As an aspiring game dev and general smart per

But it is a gamemechanic none the less, and who are you to say it is a bad game mechanic when the game is formed around it. And how it it unclear to never players? Do you expect a person to turn instantly to one side to the other in real life? Does that happen in first person shooters aswell? What you are saying is that players moving from League of legends or a simmuilar Dota style game is used to the system in use there, and find it weird that it works differently.

Quoted:
The turning animations and the RNG are both old skool game development techniques. RNG was used extensively to model certain events or to make things more versatile. For example something should stun longer based on a bazillion factors. Back then, that was actually really hard to do and required a ton of effort so RNG was a great solution to the issue. Nowadays we can do so much at the same time that we don't need RNG anymore. Turning animations is the same thing, it's a method to hide that the computer is actually running a path finding algorithm. Nowadays, we can do that so fast so there's no reason for them anymore. Nostalgia is a bad thing in game design.

Just because it is Old doesn't make it bad, it doesn't make it good either mind you. But RNG is still present alot, and considering it is not actually true random, but uses a pseudorandom system, i see no problem in it. Hell, it is not even that many heroes that uses RNG mechanics any way. Can think of like 5 on the top of my head. Way less considering every Hero In League uses it (Critt chance).
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2013 12:44pm | Report

Just because it is Old doesn't make it bad, it doesn't make it good either mind you. But RNG is still present alot, and considering it is not actually true random, but uses a pseudorandom system, i see no problem in it. Hell, it is not even that many heroes that uses RNG mechanics any way. Can think of like 5 on the top of my head. Way less considering every Hero In League uses it (Critt chance).

No but the designs are outdated and no longer necessary. They were designed to mask something (turning animations to hide the computation of a pathing algorithm). They are classic tricks that were used because computers didn't really have much processing power back then. Also, who says it uses a pseudorandom system? A lot of true random systems are actually used these days because they provide overall less predictable results, you don't know their code so don't make assumptions. Another assumption you make here is that I approve of the RNG in LoL because I play the game. However, I do not. I rather see crit chance removed completely. Randomness has no place in a game like this so I dislike it. At least LoL keeps it to the bare minimum; DotA has many systems that use RNG to determine its strength. Random duration stuns, random damage, etc. Not only is it a frustrating mechanic to work with, it is also impractical in its own universe. Implementing RNG in strategy games is in my opinion an oxymoron.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide