Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Ubuntu 12.10 is out

Creator: Searz October 19, 2012 9:18am
17 posts - page 2 of 2
1 2
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 20, 2012 8:29am | Report
I have a question because I loved ubunto when I had it, but I suck when it come to other operating systems that aren't windows. If I were to install ubunto as a second operating system, would my files be accessible on ubunto? Like my music and other documents from windows?

I'm a noob with this stuff :/
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 20, 2012 9:23am | Report

I have a question because I loved ubunto when I had it, but I suck when it come to other operating systems that aren't windows. If I were to install ubunto as a second operating system, would my files be accessible on ubunto? Like my music and other documents from windows?

I'm a noob with this stuff :/

Ubuntu can read everything on your HDD, regardless of what you have installed there (like Windows) or what file system (like NTFS) it uses.
Ubuntu can read and use(be installed on) crazy amounts of file systems ext1 through 4(ext4 being the latest and best(I think)), NTFS, FAT and a few others.
Windows can only read and use NTFS. (Windows sucks, Q.Q)
So while you'll be able to reach your Windows files from Ubuntu you won't be able to reach your Ubuntu files from Windows.

You might be able to reach your Ubuntu files through Windows if you install Ubuntu with NTFS(you have to configure it for that, ext4 is standard).
But ext4 is a much more stable and secure file system, so unless you have some big reason for it, I'd go with ext4. For example: you can delete, rename and move files WHILE they are being used in ext4. Ext4 handles it without problems, while I sometimes have to use a program called Unlocker to shut down buggy Windows processes when wanting to remove/rename/delete a file.
Canoas wrote:

I just installed Jupiter and now the battery lasts AT LEAST as long as in windows = D

I'm using gnome2 right now. Imo it's much cleaner, and with guake it's just awesome

Nice.
I'd use LXDE over GNOME2 though. Both seem pretty good, but since none of them are as feature rich as Unity I'd just go with the most lightweight one of them :3

OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 20, 2012 9:24am | Report
Thanks for the answer, Searz. I want ubuntu back on my computer. and if I could get league and stuff to work through Wine too, **** windows. :p
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 20, 2012 9:52am | Report
Haha, wow. Ubuntu runs perfectly well on the Nexus 7 tablet. It's still made to use with a mouse though, so it's probably not optimal ^_^

Canonical is planning on improving battery times with Ubuntu 13.04. (should come 6 months from now, I think)
They're also planning on making Ubuntu for smartphones and tablets, along with TVs. (no set date, but TVs will be coming soon)
I think that's great. Android needs a little competition, even though Android is awesome. And Ubuntu on your TV? No need for a HTPC anymore, lol :D
"Nothing says I like you more than letting you drink my filtered urine." - deityignis

"MY WHOLE LIFE IS A WANK." - WTTNHK

"There are boobs...LOTS OF BOOBS. And then Obama comes out of no where." - JEFFY40HANDS, on Air Gear
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 20, 2012 10:00am | Report
@Canoas
The whole battery problems affair is because the laptops are built for Windows, not Linux. If you want one that works out of the box you'll have to buy a laptop with Ubuntu on it, like these:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/2-new-asus-new-windows-8-laptops-available-with-ubuntu
The "good" model being just 300€ for 1.1GHz dual core, 4GBRAM, 1366×768 resolution and 500GB HDD.
Which is pretty damn cheap for something that looks to have some build quality.
Google has a job title called "Head of Black Community Engagement"..
I don't know whether to cry or laugh.. or both.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 20, 2012 10:22am | Report
What exactly is a laptop built for windows?

ubuntu doesn't have any sort of power manager like windows does, so you need to download one yourself. for me jupiter is working fine and my battery lasts about the same in each OS.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 20, 2012 12:08pm | Report
I dunno since I've never tried it on a Laptop, but that was what I was thinking.

And I kinda just wanted to share those laptops since they seemed pretty interesting, especially for that price.
"You can't have your privacy violated if you don't know your privacy is violated." - Mike Rogers, U.S. Representative for Michigan's 8th congressional district, 2013
I.e: Mike Rogers doesn't think it's rape unless the victim knows (s)he has been raped. Sounds legit.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide