Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

XJ9 unbanned?

Creator: bitpik April 8, 2015 7:33pm
67 posts - page 2 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
bitpik
<Member>
bitpik's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2015 6:57am | Report
If you think that rapists and murderers should be banned even after finishing their sentence in IRL then i seriously have to question what the hell you're thinking. League of legends is a video game that anyone should be allowed to play, banning people for committing crimes is far out of riot's juridiction. Especially if it's been a few years since the crimes happened. Do you want people with a criminal record to just disappear? They are still people that can make an effort to function in society. You can't be that ignorant.
I was born nude but now i am dude
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2015 7:10am | Report
Wasn't XJ9 permabanned in the first place? If that's the case, then there's no 'finishing his sentence'.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2015 7:18am | Report
In trying to look at this from riot's perspective. What do they have to gain from having him play again? League becomes a little more prominent. There's a small chance he'll contribute to league through his entertainment.
What are the risks of having him play again? He'll relapse to his toxic behavior and demean the community.
If i was riot, I would put him on probation, since people can change and mature a lot in 2 years. I would take the risk and let him play again, knowing fully well that he could ruin games for the people he would be playing with.
The fact that riot isn't even considering doing that is a testament to how highly lyte values the enjoyment of the common player.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2015 7:26am | Report
"He was only 16 at the time"

"Only 16"

"16"

???

I'd understand if he was 12 or something but give me a break at 16 years you have to know what is and what isn't considered illegal...

Source: I'm 16. If I **** up something casual like just slightly badmouthing a teacher or something all hell will break loose. I hope I needn't speak about actually threatening people...

If he's mentally unstable keeping him away from the game will probably end up working out in his favor... I mean, I've never heard of someone curing an addiction by indulging in it.

Sure, rito had some miscommunication going on but they immediately remedied what they did which, in my opinion, was the correct move.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2015 7:36am | Report
^that

Being 16 is not an excuse for doing things that are downright illegal.

I don't think being 12 is an excuse either, my youngest brother is almost 13 and knows better than to behave that way.
bitpik wrote:
League of legends is a video game that anyone should be allowed to play, banning people for committing crimes is far out of riot's juridiction.
Riot decides what their jurisdiction is, not you. If Riot wants to ban players who have a bad habit of doing things that are illegal when they're mad about the game or things related to it, I think they are 100% justified in doing so. Riot has the right to ban whoever they want anyways, it's their game, and there's no law anywhere prohibiting them from doing so.

utopus wrote:
If i was riot, I would put him on probation, since people can change and mature a lot in 2 years. I would take the risk and let him play again, knowing fully well that he could ruin games for the people he would be playing with.
The fact that riot isn't even considering doing that is a testament to how highly lyte values the enjoyment of the common player.
I can't see any reason to give him a second chance. He was warned many times about his behavior and continued to misbehave until he was permanently banned. After which point he believed (and has continued to believe since) that he'd done nothing wrong. That pretty much suggests he won't actually change.

What bothers me the most here is that none of you would care if he wasn't a well known player. Riot is establishing a precedence of keeping notoriously toxic people out of their community regardless of who they are and I feel that's a good thing.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2015 8:16am | Report
I agree with Bitpik and I can't say I respect the personal attacks just because you don't agree with him. In fact, I think you should be banned from the game for that.

Seriously though, if I go on the internet and post pictures of what happens after the EUW inhouses in a back alley, it has nothing to do with the game League of Legends. He committed no crimes while playing League or using League. If you post nudes of someone because they drive in a certain car, that doesn't cost you your driving license.

I find it even more disturbing that some of you find it rectified to just ban convicts out of everything. You might as well just put a gun to their heads and finish it immediately. Of course it would be very apt and funny to reply saying you would like to do just that, but I'd prefer to not go that route if you don't mind.

Riot, as far as I know, has all the rights on their game though, and they can simply ban whoever they want whenever they want. So I see no problem with them banning the guy.

Though I do hope that you will refrain from making downright unsophisticated comments about simply banning convicts of any sort from everything. All people make mistakes, all people have pasts and all people have mental breakdowns. If the shoe fits, wear it.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2015 8:17am | Report
utopus wrote:
In trying to look at this from riot's perspective. What do they have to gain from having him play again? League becomes a little more prominent. There's a small chance he'll contribute to league through his entertainment.
What are the risks of having him play again? He'll relapse to his toxic behavior and demean the community.

There are a lot more people that will easily make LoL more prominent and are just as entertaining, if not more so, without the need to be toxic or demeaning to the community. There's no need to put him probation or unban him. Sure, people can change and I'm all for forgiveness, but from a company point of view, I can't see a reason why he needs to be given a second chance and run the risk of him ruining games for other players. The things he did would usually see jail time, let alone banning him from a game.

Having said that, it's just a course of convenience rather than what may actually be the correct course of action.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2015 8:24am | Report
I can't see any reason to give him a second chance. He was warned many times about his behavior and continued to misbehave until he was permanently banned. After which point he believed (and has continued to believe since) that he'd done nothing wrong. That pretty much suggests he won't actually change.

What bothers me the most here is that none of you would care if he wasn't a well known player. Riot is establishing a precedence of keeping notoriously toxic people out of their community regardless of who they are and I feel that's a good thing.

Read his recent facebook posts, and tell me again, that that's not the attitude of someone who hasn't matured and changed at all. XJ9 has been asking for a ban appeal for a while, and Riot DID give him a chance to prove himself due to a clerical error, and after demonstrating 3 months of non-toxic play, a low-down dev unbanned his account. My outrage was that riot gave him a chance to prove that he's bettered his behavior - which he did, and they still maintained their player ban on him due to his dumb actions 2 years ago.

You're right that none of us would care if he wasn't well known, because then, we wouldn't know about his story. On the league subreddit, there's around 3 prominent posts each month that go on about how someone has improved their behavior. I'm genuinely happy for the people who improve their behavior, and XJ9 is no exception. I think it's riot that's being unfair since they are ignoring his efforts to show to them that he's improved himself.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2015 8:30am | Report
I agree with Bitpik and I can't say I respect the personal attacks just because you don't agree with him. In fact, I think you should be banned from the game for that.

Seriously though, if I go on the internet and post pictures of what happens after the EUW inhouses in a back alley, it has nothing to do with the game League of Legends. He committed no crimes while playing League or using League. If you post nudes of someone because they drive in a certain car, that doesn't cost you your driving license.

I find it even more disturbing that some of you find it rectified to just ban convicts out of everything. You might as well just put a gun to their heads and finish it immediately. Of course it would be very apt and funny to reply saying you would like to do just that, but I'd prefer to not go that route if you don't mind.

Riot, as far as I know, has all the rights on their game though, and they can simply ban whoever they want whenever they want. So I see no problem with them banning the guy.

Though I do hope that you will refrain from making downright unsophisticated comments about simply banning convicts of any sort from everything. All people make mistakes, all people have pasts and all people have mental breakdowns. If the shoe fits, wear it.
I, at least, was not trying to personally attack anyone. Even if you ignore the fact that he threatened Riot employees and posted nudes of his gf on his facebook page (which was popular because he was a famous League player) because he didn't do them in game, his in game behavior was also extremely toxic and he was permanently banned for it. His illegal behavior was further exacerbated by the fact that he did it as a popular streamer/former pro player associated with League of Legends on places where he, again, was mostly popular due to League of Legends.

I don't think we should ban convicts out of everything, but given that xj9's illegal behavior was largely related to League of Legends and also made widely known because of that fact, it's fair for Riot to ban him in this situation. Riot should never have unbanned him at all and it was a mistake to do so for a short period of time, but rectifying that immediately is something I can only be happy about. Making a habit of excusing illegal/generally bad behavior because someone is basically a celebrity is a ****ty thing to do.

Also, I still maintain that if someone refuses to believe they did anything wrong, they're unlikely to change. He has yet to admit he deserved to be banned in the first place.
bitpik
<Member>
bitpik's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2015 8:45am | Report
utopus wrote:

And they DID put him on probation for three months before officially unbanning him. Seems unfair that Riot would chose to ignore that.

XeresAce: Point is that A LOT of 16 years olds do ****ed up things that they'd never do a few years later. Young Gooby made a video about this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBCYwM6s0N0 . Not every 16 year old does ****ed up things, most don't. That doesn't mean that those who do should be banned for life from league and potentially other things.

One thing i want to clear out aswell is that XJ9 was never more than averagely toxic in soloqueue, and in the past year he has almost never typed anything. Even before he was banned he wasn't really THAT toxic(there are people that were more toxic in LCS today). He was NOT banned for toxicity, 90% of his ban was from death threats and elo boosting.

He elo boosted a lot of people but do you remember that elo boosting used to be common for pro players? The context behind the death threats(all directed at Riot Jay) was that he used to elo boost an ex, and then the ex broke up with him for Riot Jay when XJ9 got banned for elo boosting. XJ9 wanted his ex to be banned only because he himself got banned. And when he made posts on the forums stating that she should be banned aswell the posts got insta removed. He related the insta removes to Riot Jay protecting her and he believes that most of the reason to her not being banned is because she's together with a rioter(which COULD be true?). The only death threats he ever sent were towards Riot Jay. After being permabanned from the forums he intentionally fed on her account and pretended to be her when contacting riot support, which is also one of his ban reasons.

Like i said i still think he deserved a ban but when you take context into account i don't think he deserves an on-sight ban for over two years. It would have been fair for everyone if he got unbanned now in my opinion. If you take away leaking the nudes(just found out that it wasn't fully nude, NSFW things were blurred out, still really bad) then he really wasn't that bad. Incarnati0n used to be much worse ingame (DDosing and flaming insanely hard), Incatnati0n actually got permabanned several times for toxicity, XJ9 has only been permabanned from the death threats etc. I think Incarnati0n deserves the unban and if Incarnati0n gets unbanned i don't see any reason to not unban XJ9 aswell.

The_nameless_bard: Yeah legally they're allowed to ban anyone they want but i think re-banning XJ9 is just morally wrong. At the moment they're not banning XJ9 as a player, but as a person. A 2 year ban and forcing XJ9 to change and then unbanning isn't excusing bad behavior. Actually i think its quite the opposite in this case, i feel like they're not rewarding his recent good behavior.
I was born nude but now i am dude
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide