Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

You have $500 to build a PC based U.S currency...

Creator: BigBoxGamer May 13, 2015 6:27pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

1 2 3 4 5
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
BigBoxGamer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 13, 2015 6:27pm | Report
What would you build? This does not include a monitor, OS, SSD, etc. in the price. Just the tower. I'll be making my specs over time, so I have nothing to post yet. I just thought this would be fun.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z87I-Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Base Total: $577.81
Mail-in Rebates: -$75.00
Total: $502.81

Okay, a little over $500 with mail-in rebates and clearly these deals are gonna change over time. So, this is clearly what I would buy if I had the money right now. With that said, I cut a lot of corners in the price range to make sure that this build had nothing less than an i5 and I think that really shows in the overall build. It's definitely not perfect, but it will do.
Short Term Goals: Silver/Gold/Platinum || Long Term Goals: Diamond/Master/Challenger
Supernova4711
<Member>
Supernova4711's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2015 8:51am | Report
I recommend AMD if ur trying to build a cheap comp
1.)I'm a koolkat 2.)+rep me plez 3.)add me on lol 4.)Ty me for sig <3
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2015 11:12am | Report
If I wanted a chipset that overheats faster than Rumble, I think I would have went for that. Also, I only did this for fun and thought other people would find this fun. I got no money.
Short Term Goals: Silver/Gold/Platinum || Long Term Goals: Diamond/Master/Challenger
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2015 11:14am | Report
If I wanted a chipset that overheats faster than Rumble, I think I would have went for that. Also, I only did this for fun and thought other people would find this fun. I got no money.

I don't know who you are, if you have any experience with PC building or if you're just joking, but this statement is 100% ******ed.

Give me 10 minutes and I'll come up with a build that trashes your system.
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2015 11:18am | Report
Go Intel/GTX, or go home. :P
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2015 11:22am | Report
Since you didn't include a case, I didn't either. In games, this smashes your system by a landslide. That system of yours won't even run the newest games due to only having 4GB of RAM.

For the record, the difference between an i5/i3 in games is very marginal. Like, 5 fps max in pretty much every game. The difference between a R9 280 and GTX 750 Ti however is MASSIVE. If this weren't a gaming build, I'd still go for the i3 and spend the remainder on a SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($103.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($162.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $498.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-18 14:20 EDT-0400

Go Intel/GTX, or go home. :P

Clearly ******ed. I'm by no means an AMD fanboy but for budget builds they have so many appealing options - especially for GPU's in the 150-300$ price range where Nvidia only has one (GTX 960 which is bottlenecked by the 2GB VRAM).
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2015 11:34am | Report
Too bad your budget doesn't include enough money for an after market cooler, because I had no clue being a tiny plastic furnace was appealing. Your build looks pretty good aside from the GPU. Replace the GPU with a GTX and you got a solid build. I personally prefer the Hyper X RAM, but the 4GB was cutting corners for the i5 and more RAM can be purchased later.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2015 11:42am | Report
Too bad your budget doesn't include enough money for an after market cooler, because I had no clue being a tiny plastic furnace was appealing. Your build looks pretty good aside from the GPU. Replace the GPU with a GTX and you got a solid build. I personally prefer the Hyper X RAM, but the 4GB was cutting corners for the i5 and more RAM can be purchased later.

> Implying an i3 needs an aftermarket cooler.

> Implying Nvidia has better options than AMD at that specific price point

> Implying RAM brand matters (lifelong warranty on RAM ftw)

> Implying an i5 is actually necessary for a build to be deemed good

Listen, before you make any more comments on PC building, you should go do some research because you have clearly no idea what you're talking about. I'm a professional PC builder and I've spend so much time giving advice to other people and actually configuring/building systems that I know what I'm talking abut. I sincerely hope you've never built a PC for someone else because they would've spend so much money on useless ****.

In this graph you can see the price-to-performance ratio of the most recent graphics cards. It's clear to see that in the 100-300$ segment AMD dominates with higher performance cards for less money. The 280 comes out slightly ahead of the GTX 960 at a much lower price point.

BigBoxGamer
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2015 11:49am | Report
- The i3 doesn't need the aftermarket cooler, the AMD chip does though.

- I'm not implying Nvidia has better options, I'm saying Nvidia is better overall buy because they don't overheat

- I didn't imply anything there, I just commented on my personal preference which doesn't matter.

- Didn't imply that either, I just wanted an i5.

Listen, I don't know anyone that has had an AMD build that's lasted more than 3 years except for one person. And, even then he's just waiting for his AMD build PC to blow before switching over. And, in some cases I know people who bought full AMD and their set up didn't even last an hour before burning out. You can take your chances, I'll take the build quality of an Nvidia to last 7+ years with no problems over AMD's trademark overheating quantity.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2015 12:08pm | Report
No lol. Mid-end AMD CPU's up to the FX-6300 don't require an aftermarket cooler either as long as you're not overclocking.

My R9 290 (which according to your logic should burn down my house) runs at 75 C under very heavy (synthetic) load. That's only 5 degrees hotter than most 970's run and with my custom fan profile that's nearly silent as well. If your friends' AMD cards didn't last longer than 3 years that's on them (e.g. through not having proper ventilation or using them as bitcoin miners lol), not on AMD. I've built at least 6+ PC's with AMD cards and none of them has ever shown any problems (6950, 7850, R7 250, R9 270X, R9 280, R9 290).

To put this simply: AMD cards WILL NOT overheat as long as you actually know how to build your PC. They may run very slightly louder and consume a little bit more power but lifespan issues due to these 'issues' are absolutely nonsense.

Also, wanting GPU's to last 7+ years makes absolutely no sense because a 7 year old card will be outdated to the point where it may not even be able to run the newest games at all. In that regard (how long they're actually USEFUL) their lifespan will be limited to approx. 5 years.
If you look at GTA V / The Witcher 3 you'll see that the minimum system specs don't support these old cards.
1 2 3 4 5

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide