Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

DPS Garen?

Creator: Jvstm March 7, 2011 3:32am
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jvstm
<Member>
Jvstm's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 3:32am | Report
So I've always been a HUGE Garen fanboy (Spin2Win, right?), and have always enjoyed a rather easy time playing him early game and mid game, HOWEVER...

I found his late game to be garbage since his nerfs.

This last patch I started picking him up more often as a DPS character, foregoing tankiness for damage, and it seems to work fairly well, I'm just looking to see if YOU guys can shed light on the subject, how crit works with Judgment, and if you think he's a better tank than DPS.

Right now I'm working with Frozen Hammer, Speed 3 Boots, Black Cleaver, Infinity Edge, Atma's Impaler, and Ghostblade (sub Armor Pen bow if there's heavy armor).
ShadowReign757
<Member>
ShadowReign757's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 3:38am | Report
I tank with him, hence my new tank guide. But DPS Garen is not a bad way to play him. I actually recommend it for new Garen players.

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Jvstm
<Member>
Jvstm's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 3:45am | Report
I'm fairly competent with both, but I feel tanky Garen brings nothing to the plate end game. Yeah, he never dies. That's true. But as far as being an actual tank, he has no CC, his damage is miniscule unless you build him that way, and his cooldowns are all really too long to be a legit tank, IN MY OPINION.

That said I still grab him to tank in normal games sometimes, as he is very fun.
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 4:54am | Report
Since Garen's main damage source is his judgment, it's honestly best to just get pure AD, with a bunch of health/Ar/Mr. A build that I think would work would be:

Health Crystal
Phage
Mercury's Treads
Sunfire Cape
Frozen Mallet
Atma's Impaler
Banshee's Veil
The Bloodthirster

You'd have to experiment in terms of skilling order, but I think it's imperative to get sunfire cape early on. It increases your damage so much it's incredible.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Jvstm
<Member>
Jvstm's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 12:14pm | Report
I get where you're coming from, Trojan. Maybe I'll drop Ghostblade for Sunfire, but seeing as how Judgment can crit, I like to have at least IE.
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 1:24pm | Report
I believe that Garen should not be played as a main tank. He has nothing to force the team to focus him except simply running into them and seeming out of position.

I feel like he's best played as a tanky dps. Being able to deal significant damage but stay in the fight long enough to keep disrupting people with his silence and being able to use his execute.

Then again I'm not exactly a big garen player... but from a theoretical standpoint I think this way should be most effective.
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
Fragamacrunch
<Member>
Fragamacrunch's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 1:29pm | Report
It seems like if you play tank Garen, you will be ignored while you do minimal damage and they destroy the rest of your team, since you have no way to make them focus you...
Jvstm
<Member>
Jvstm's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 1:50pm | Report
I dominated a game as Garen last night building the exact build I posted above. I had more kills than their team and the rest of my team combined >.>

Also, does ArPen work with Judgment, or would I be fine not buying ArPen runes for him alone?
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 2:18pm | Report
Since it applied physical damage, it uses ArPen.

....Judgment can crit? 0.o

If so, then I'd drop the bloodthirster for infinity edge (in my build).

Sunfire cape is essential on garen, and there's no reason to buy the black cleaver since judgment doesn't apply on-hit effects. 90% of your damage should be judgment, so build around that.

Our builds are pretty much the same, except for BC/YG (at least when I recant my statement that bloodthirster>infinity edge).
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 2:38pm | Report
Trojan995 wrote:

....Judgment can crit? 0.o

Yes, it can.
Quoted:
If so, then I'd drop the bloodthirster for infinity edge (in my build).

You should because BT is **** on garen. With capital letters! ;S
Sittin' on chimneys, putting fire up my ***.

"I biked 12km in a blizzard today and mice are chewing on my chocolate bars. Life's good."
1 2 3 4 5 6

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide