Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

[WIP] John Doe - The 'Every Item is Viable'...

Creator: Mrs Warboys August 19, 2011 2:57am
Mrs Warboys
<Member>
Mrs Warboys's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2011 2:57am | Report
Intro
OK, so I've had an idea for a bunch of skills to have on a champion but instead of coming up with a bunch of specific numbers and such, I'd like to put the idea out there and see what other people think of the concept.

This is like a big idea/brainstorming mess of a post, so apologies if it's tough to read! It will be updated as I work through the suggestion.

Goals
Concept:
Before Skarner, I was wondering how I could design a champion for which every item is viable. From a theorycrafting point of view, Skarner is very well designed for item viability. His AS helps his cooldowns, which help his damage. It's these sort of linked attributes which I find fascinating.

For my champion, I want his abilities and playstyle to scale off ANYTHING, allowing him to have a massive variety of builds and strategy in his item choices. Too many champions have cookie-cutter builds... I hate that. I want to break the ArP/MagicP rune builds. I want 21/0/9 to be just as viable as 9/21/0 or even a hybrid.

This is the basic concept of John Doe (JD): A champion that can viably use almost every item in the game

Theme: I want to make a crazy motherf*cker. The main theme is blood (similar to Warwick and Vlad). This guy gets crazy powers from bathing in blood, his own and that of his enemies. Visually I'm imagining a mix of Kratos from God of War, combined with some crazy shamanistic cultist. There aren't enough completely messed up champions in LoL (Nocturne and Fiddle being the only sadistic f*cks I can think of right now).

So... with these thoughts in mind...
I came up with a bunch of skills. I used the goals as a sort of inspiration, but I'm not sure if I've really hit them all 100%. Still, I think my champion's tools are interesting and am wondering what you all think!

Passive:
JD's attacks wound enemy champions, marking them with a debuff. When JD attacks another enemy champion, the debuff is consumed, suppressing the target for 0.3 seconds per stack. Stacks up to 5 times.

Quoted:
Thoughts
Since JD is meant to be pretty crazy, he's all about suicidal attacks. JD's strength is in 1v2 scenarios. His passive enables him to juggle between multiple enemies and cause massive disruption. He can attack Target A 5 times, then switch to stun them for 1.5 seconds while he builds stacks on Target B. Against a single target, the passive is useless.

Q:
At the cost of XXX health, JD deals magic damage (+AP) and marks a single target for 5 seconds. JD gains XX movement speed when running towards that target. If the target causes less than XXX (+AP) damage to JD, the health cost is refunded and the cooldown is reduced.

Quoted:
Thoughts:
This is JD's gap closer, his nuke ability and his threat. If JD decides to build AP, this will be his main source of damage. Although the numbers are not in there, assume that this causes some pretty heavy damage. It means that if JD targets a squishy, they're going to want to retaliate or he'll stay on them and make them pay. It's a tank style skill (acting like a taunt) which JD can use to protect allies.

W: Blood Barrier
Passive - Every 5 attacks, JD gains a spell shield, blocking 1 (+X% AP) spell cast in the next 3 seconds.
Active - JD can consume the spell shield to grant XXX bonus health regeneration for 15 seconds. Stacks up to 3 times.

Quoted:
Thoughts:
Helping with his risky play style, and scaling with attack speed and AP, JD can passively spell block. Unlike other spell shields, Blood Barrier is not reliable and therefore not designed to be reactive to specific threats (you're not going to be able to block Caitlyn's Ult with this). It's meant to provide him with protection while he's in the thick of a fight (with 3 dudes targeting him). It also provides him with sustainability in lane and the ability to cast his spells (which cost health). The bonus health regeneration also powers up his ultimate. Players have to make a choice whenever Blood Barrier is activated. Do they take the protection of the spell block, or do they improve their medium-term survivability and consume it?

E: Blood Dance
At the cost of XXX health, JD's attacks are doubled for 5 seconds.

Quoted:
Thoughts:
OK, I know this is his weakest and most unimaginative skill. Let's just say it's a placeholder for now and will likely be changed. Blood Dance is very useful, despite the lack of creativity. It adds extra Spell Shields/Health Regen and greatly improves JD's passive. Boring but something similar is necessary.

R:
Adds all of JD's AP + 10% of his maximum health and +20% of his armor and magic resistance into bonus attack damage. His attacks also cause damage over time equal to his health regeneration. Lasts 10 seconds.

Quoted:
Thoughts:
The ultimate scaling ability. This is the skill that enables almost any build to be viable on JD. It's a bit like the opposite of Alistar's ultimate. Alistar's ultimate allows him to be a mega tank for a short period, despite building non-tanky (AP Alistar, for example). JD's ultimate allows him to be a mega DPS murderer, despite building AP or Tanky. Imagine Annie suddenly turning into Master Yi. JD's R either boosts his ability to cause physical damage, or it GIVES him the ability to cause physical damage (when he has built tanky or burst damage with AP).

Why build AD?
He's a melee fighter with strong survivability (through his spell shields, health regen and passive) and a steroid skill which doubles his attacks. Building AD will help JD murder people quicker.

Why build AP?
AP grants JD burst damage (through Q) and survivability by increasing his Spell Shield strength (high AP will result in a double strength spell shield) and improving his chances to not pay health for Q. AP is also rather cheap (compared to AD) and when using his ultimate, all that tasty AP is added onto his melee attacks.

Why build AS?
Attack speed results in maximum frustration for enemies. Passive stacks are built rapidly, resulting in maximum disruption, and his spell shield procs much quicker. This makes him annoying in lane (bonus health regen improves his harass) as well as annoying in team fights (when there's a chance he'll block half the spells you cast on him). Building pure AS on JD wouldn't be too advisable (his ult doesn't add AS to his damage), but many hybrid AS items will be very powerful when he ults.

Why build tanky?
Tanky JD is also a massive pain in the ***. Firstly, his Q is basically free, since no-one will be able to reach the damage quota required for the health refund (also resulting in Q spam due to the CDR). Secondly, with his bonus health regeneration and spell shields, he will be pretty much unkillable. The bonus health from consuming his spell shields is akin to Mundo's regeneration... so tanky = crazy survivability. But won't JD be useless without any damage? His ultimate takes care of that, but also his passive is very disruptive, so he can be stunning lots of enemies in team fights... interrupting channeling abilities, protecting squishies and preventing escape.

Why build CDR?
OK... you probably wouldn't want to build pure CDR on JD. 40% CDR would be helpful but his abilities don't scale off of CDR as much as any other stats. Some CDR is great though, particular for AP and tanky JD... who rely on his ultimate for damage.

Why build Health Regen?
Haha, so no-one would build health regen as a primary stat but I do want to highlight the power of health regen on JD. Two of his skills cost health, so regen is going to be helpful if his Q gets popped or he wants to use his E regularly. However, his ultimate adds his health regeneration as a DoT on his auto attacks. With 3 stacks of his W and some health regen items, the DoT on JD's attacks will be very damaging. This encourages him to attack multiple targets (which is always great for his passive).
Dzeno
<Member>
Dzeno's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2011 7:03am | Report
Preety cool champion :)

He does seem a bit OP to me, can't say to much because the numbers aren't there yet.
The fact you let him use Hp for his attacks means mana items will be pretty much useless or les usefull, like sheen by example, which I would still buy, because ability and then double damage.

Most viable build to me seems Hybrid AS and AP with a bit of AD (items like tri-force are great on him).

AD and Tanky seem to my somewhat less viable, because AD is mostly only usesull for E and for a tanky build you on't have enough CC or zone controll.

Still it seems like a hell of a champion ;).

you did a pretty decent job :D.

(also pls heck out my champion: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/forum/champion-and-item-ideas/ebrithil-adurna-the-ninja-penguin-master-of-adaptation-7517 )
gwadzila
<Member>
gwadzila's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2011 10:51am | Report
Rofl, looks like the biggest troll. I'd rage against him but also love him on my team
Credit to jhoijhoi for this intense battle.
Whenever you +Rep me, a puppy finds a home.
My builds: Gragas Veigar Soraka
My Blog is f*cking important.
HuntrKilr
<Member>
HuntrKilr's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2011 9:10pm | Report
FoN+warmogs+rageblade.

2gud.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide