Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Haunting Guise - a very situational item

Creator: Yagamoth May 14, 2011 5:11pm
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 16, 2011 10:22am | Report
You focus on both flat and % MrP on a support/damage caster? Just no..
"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends." - Albert Bandura

"Ultimately, if people lose their willingness to recognize that there are times in our history when legality becomes distinct from morality, we aren't just ceding control of our rights to government, but our futures." - Edward Snowden
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 16, 2011 6:11pm | Report
I only had the Void Staff because the enemies were stacking MR
Edit: I was solo queue and no one else picked a caster, so I needed to deal more magic damage.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2011 3:47am | Report
That explains it.
"I saw [Twilight: Eclipse] in theaters with a girl I was dating at the time. I spent more time staring at my toes and wiggling them than I did watching this abomination. When Edward proposed to Blank Face, I finally looked up with a revelation.
I blurted out loud, in a dead silent theater full of teenage girls on opening night "Wait a minute, Edward has no blood flow. How does he get an erection?" I heard several men laughing, and had several girls turn and stare at me.

I did not get laid that night." - Berengier817
Yagamoth
<Member>
Yagamoth's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2011 4:24am | Report
Searz wrote:

No.. It reduces the damage the enemy MR reduces by 30 percent units. If the target has over 30MR that is.

I don't quiet understand what you mean. If you HAVE -30 (minus 30), it's increased by 30%. However as someone already pointed out on the first or second page, the Reduction is applied before the Penetration, thus making the HG less worthwhile than I expected it to be against low MR opponents.

After some testing I'd say, HG is never(!) worth more than straight AP + straight health. Because, after the opponents realize, that you deal a ton of magic damage, they will get more MR (unless they are dumb, but then it doesn't matter anyways since defeating dumb people is usually a non-issue). And as soon as they get about 1 MR item more, straight AP is more worthwhile even in the theory.

I do like the idea of HG, but I really think by now, that you have to build your TEAM around this idea to make it worthwhile.
"I'd love to write a guide about 'getting out of elo hell', but I can't find a way to get in there.."
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2011 4:29am | Report
Reduction is applied before penetration. That means it's currently impossible to make a champion's MR go negative.
"I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m ****ing ******ed but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding." - Guuse

"uh, I identify as counterstrike and I find this globally offensive" - ???
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2011 8:58am | Report
However you can deal true damage, which is the usual reason I build it on champions with somewhat low AP ratios.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2011 9:15am | Report
Yes, but as I've said many times;
Ratios can't be considered low unless they're compared to the flat damage of the spell. (just a reminder)
Even spells like Absolute Zero with a 2.5 AP ratio has a low ratio in comparison. I think the border for a low ratio goes somewhere around 23-24% per 100 flat damage.
"every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning,"" - Colin Campbell
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2011 1:18pm | Report
yeah yeah we've got it.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2011 10:55am | Report
Let's say the enemy has 30 MR:
Haunting Guise innately penetrates through 20 (66.7%) of that, while a Void Staff only penetrates through 12 (30 X .4 = 12) of it.

the math: a Void Staff is NOT better than Haunting Guise unless the enemy has MORE THAN 50 MR. Because until that point the innate 20 penetrated by the Haunting Guise is actually more than or equal to 40% of their total MR.

20=100%
30=66.7%
40=50%
50=40%

HG is actually a better choice than a Void Staff unless they are stacking MR. Abyssal Scepter provides an identical effect because removing 20 of their MR is actually the same as penetrating through 20 of it.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2011 12:25pm | Report
But everyone knows that Void Staff is a lategame item. By the time you usually have it enemies will have about 80+ MR and it will be a great source of MrP.
I'm a strong independent black mage who don't need no mana.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide