Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Magic Penetration question!!!?

Creator: Gogoplatza November 18, 2010 3:16pm
Gogoplatza
<Member>
Gogoplatza's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2010 3:16pm | Report
When a spell applies magic pen, does the %penetration get applied b4 or after the flat amount?
and does the %pen from masteries stack with void staff?
Gogoplatza
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2010 3:19pm | Report
and also... Does magic damage from items like Madreds Bloodrazor and Sword of the Divine use your magic penetration???
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2010 3:23pm | Report
magic penetration is for magic damage so yes.
same as with armor penetration and skills that do physical damage.

flat works before %
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Gogoplatza
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2010 3:34pm | Report
ty
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2010 4:33pm | Report
don't mention it.
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2010 11:13pm | Report
Flat magic penetration is applied directly to your magical abilities. These abilities will deal damage to your target as though he has less magic resist than he really does, but will never bring an opponent below 0 magic resist. For example, if a target has 20 magic resist and you have 5 magic penetration, you would deal damage as though the target had 15 magic resist. If you had 50 magic penetration against the same target, you would deal damage as though he had 0 magic resist.

Percent magic penetration applies its benefits after flat magic penetration. For example if you fight a target with 120 magic resist while you have 20 flat magic penetration and 40% magic penetration, you would deal damage to your target as though he had 60 magic resist.

Resist reduction and resist penetration are applied in this order:
1. Percent reduction (Bushwhack / Pounce)
2. Flat reduction (Cursed Touch, Abyssal Scepter, etc)
3. Flat penetration (Sorcerer's Shoes, Archaic Knowledge Mastery, Runes of Insight)
4. Percent penetration (Void Staff)
(note: not sure of the order of 1 and 2 since the patch notes only mention a change to the order in which penetration is applied, not reduction).

Numbers 1 and 2 will visibly affect a target's armor/resist values in their stat display. While 3 and 4 apply further reduction in much the same way, players will only see a change in damage dealt; there will be no visible change in the target's armor/resist in the stats display. Also note that armor/resist reduction is able to lower an enemy's armor/resist values below zero, but penetration can only penetrate armor/resist up to zero and no further.

Stacking Magic Percent Penetration will yield diminishing results as it stacks multiplicatively and not additively. Archaic Knowledge and Void Staff would grant 49% Penetration and not 55%.

Magic reduction is generally an aura from items, so it applies to all the enemies in a range around you and benefits teammates.

Credit to RobertMeta from LC.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 19, 2010 1:10am | Report
also, sorc shoes are usually the only mpen you need to buy, unless enemies are severely stacking magic resist.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide