Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Olaf Jungle vs.Olaf Solo Top? Which one?

Creator: b3astliness April 16, 2012 9:39am
Jungle vs Solo top
markthema3
<Member>
markthema3's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2012 2:30pm | Report
I play him in both places, but I just wanted to put that out there. I've only gotten him in the past couple days, so my opinion of him as a jungler may change as I learn him better.
Cho'Gath:

OM NOM NOM!

Nocturne (muffled):

DAAAAAAAAAARKNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

samgoeslol
<Member>
samgoeslol's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2012 3:06pm | Report
olaf top is a beast, jungle olaf is way to hit or miss because he wont get the tankiness he neads to kill carries

i still think the comparision is nonsense because its not about weather olaf is better top or jungle
its about how olaf is in comparision to other junglers/other toplaners...

greez sam
<-summonername on EUW: strawhatbro
check out my blog
+rep if you like my posts^^
watch my stream
follow me on twitter and facebook
b3astliness
<Member>
b3astliness's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2012 4:36pm | Report
samgoeslol wrote:

olaf top is a beast, jungle olaf is way to hit or miss because he wont get the tankiness he neads to kill carries

i still think the comparision is nonsense because its not about weather olaf is better top or jungle
its about how olaf is in comparision to other junglers/other toplaners...

greez sam

Thats actually not the case, the jungler tiers right now are pretty set and People have a general Idea of who rules the solo top game. Right now Id say Olaf is around a tier 2 or 3 jungler and a tier 1-2 Solo top(IMHO).

Cred to Keondre for this ^
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2012 5:08pm | Report
Currently the main discussion when putting a comp together in 5v5s doesn't revolve around much more than is x champion > y champion.

Olaf currently succeeds against a good number of viable solo top champions. His combination of damage, sustain and near ungankability makes him someone you DO NOT want to face, especially in the hands of an experienced player.

Olaf's jungle is decent, he clears fast, takes little to no damage, and can normally win an engagement 1v1 in his jungle. However his ganks can be underwhelming due to the lack of a gap closer and any form of hard CC.

So YES Olaf can succeed in the jungle, but running him in the top lane is infinitely more useful at all stages of the game.
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2012 5:41pm | Report

So YES Olaf can succeed in the jungle, but running him in the top lane is infinitely more useful at all stages of the game.

I'd disagree with that statement without question.

Olaf's speeds are crazy. Olaf's ganks are surprisingly good (especially when coming from brush) and he can make sure that he cannot be out-duelled. His counter-ganks, I'd say, are the best in the game right now.

Olaf's early in top is pretty bad. He is shut down by ranged harass and needs to land his Q to get in range to E. He starts being a bit more powerful come 7 or so, and then he is a beast in lane.

Late game their usefulness is similar, excluding the argument that he will be more farmed if he goes top because the same can be said for any champion, like Shyvana. Relative scaling into late game needs to be taken into account.

I think, don't quote me on this, but I think Olaf was used more in the jungle than he was top lane at IPL4. Nintendude was to thank for that, as he jungled as Olaf the most, pretty much. Olaf's seeing competitive play in both of his roles, and Olaf in the jungle fits snugly into the whole counter jungle based meta that seems to be seeping in nowadays.

He's great in both places, just like Shyvana. He's not one of those where you should only ever do X and never Y with like the predicament Mundo is viewed to be in at the moment. He's great at both, and a strong pick in most team comps, though he's not somebody who fits everywhere.
Majamorra
<Member>
Majamorra's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2012 7:21pm | Report
It depends the team and the other top champion, because Olaf is one off the best junglers in the game because his speed to clear the jungle is awesome the fact is if you don't know how to use your Undertow your ganks will be TERRIBLE. Another PRO to Jungle Olaf is his Passive ( Berserker Rage) that gives you more Attack Speed as you have low health, Crazy rigth?.

Now lets see the Solo top Olaf:

Well this Olaf has more sustain that the jungle Olaf his true damage with Reckless Swing is annoying and the life steal that he has with his Tough It Out can make your Farm phase very difficult. Why? Because when he is near you he will use Reckless Swing for a low cost of his health and he will do the same all the laning phase.

Another pro for Solo top Olaf is when he buys the Wriggle's Lantern he will absolutly dominate the lane, because his Undertow doesn't has to be level 5 to get alot of CS, and that is a real problem with this guy.

Let's talk about the ultimate's uses in solo top Olaf

Coming back from Wriggle's Lantern and his Undertow we found another problem and another PRO to solo top Olaf... The thing is he choose Ghost + Ignite as his summomer spells it will be SO F*KING hard gank him. Why? Did you notice the ACTIVE of Wriggle's Lantern? Yes a free ward every 3 min. if the Olaf's player has a great map awarness he can actually kill the solo top champ a escape from the gank ignoring unit collisition ( Ghost) and disables ( Ragnarok).

So now we have a conclusion.. Who is the winner?

I voted Solo top's Olaf. :D

Yes, my new project start it. Feel free to PM me and give me suggestions to be the best blog on MOBAfire!

DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2012 10:58pm | Report
I'm not sure if I need to explain my stance on the matter.

Without a doubt.
Somalie
<Member>
Somalie's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 16, 2012 11:43pm | Report
Xenasis wrote:
I think, don't quote me on this, but I think Olaf was used more in the jungle than he was top lane at IPL4. Nintendude was to thank for that, as he jungled as Olaf the most, pretty much. Olaf's seeing competitive play in both of his roles, and Olaf in the jungle fits snugly into the whole counter jungle based meta that seems to be seeping in nowadays.

IPL4 was basically an urgot mundo olaf tournament, picked or banned they were there :c

The most interessant part of this tournament was the different kinds of skills order on the "present in every game" champs : maxing Q on olaf top, mundo and urgot different skill order at 1 different point, so much fun ..

AS you said Xenasis
Quoted:
Olaf's early in top is pretty bad. He is shut down by ranged harass and needs to land his Q to get in range to E. He starts being a bit more powerful come 7 or so, and then he is a beast in lane.

Olaf has some difficult lanes unless the players' skills (top and ganking jungler) are very unbalanced in favor of the Olaf's team.
But hey, could it be a invicible toplaner crushing every match up ? Olaf is a beast against melee harassers, let him have some weakness :D

His best part is about doing well against some snowball champ like Riven and easily denying the other toplaner or killing him, while bringing a good offtank in teamfight during the whole game. Not a lot of other top can do that well in the same number of match-up.

The worst thing with those IPL fanboii is the popularity of Olaf growing up, ironically he was as good as now before the Q base dmg + scaling change. Sadly I read Duff's guide too late to abuse of him as much as I would :c.
I mean, an underground champ winning almost every trades in the toplane and using him when people didn't know how he worked ? Damn I miss those people buying armor/MR to counter the E :'D.

It's like using yorick or karma against the right champ, win before playing ...
English is not my native langage, I'm sorry about how painful to read my text are :c
samgoeslol
<Member>
samgoeslol's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2012 2:53am | Report

Thats actually not the case, the jungler tiers right now are pretty set and People have a general Idea of who rules the solo top game. Right now Id say Olaf is around a tier 2 or 3 jungler and a tier 1-2 Solo top(IMHO).

so how is that not the case?
now im curious...
you state something and explain something different...

i still think comparing jungle olaf to toplane olaf is liek comparing ad and ap kennen...
<-summonername on EUW: strawhatbro
check out my blog
+rep if you like my posts^^
watch my stream
follow me on twitter and facebook
b3astliness
<Member>
b3astliness's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2012 1:44pm | Report
samgoeslol wrote:

so how is that not the case?
now im curious...
you state something and explain something different...

i still think comparing jungle olaf to toplane olaf is liek comparing ad and ap kennen...

Well You stated that he needs to be compared to other top laners/junglers, we already have an idea where hes in ranking. Its also not as different as AD and AP Kennen the main reason being they serve the same purpose late game and have the same item sets.

Cred to Keondre for this ^

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide