Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Re-imagining Udyr: A Spirit Walker Rework Idea

Creator: OTGBionicArm January 29, 2015 2:50pm
1 2
Which version of Phoenix Stance do you prefer?
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2015 2:50pm | Report
Hey MOBAFire! OTG here with a new rework concept. This time it's for Udyr, after I had a bunch of ideas triggered by our good friend, The_Nameless_Bard.

I'll try to keep it simple; Q: why rework Udyr?
A: He's archaic, and has no gameplay value other than running at people and being kited.

Q: What does your rework plan to do about that?
A: Giving Udyr some actual decision making, as well as gameplay depth while retaining his identity and overall play style and itemization.

Anyway, let's get on with the rework, and remember that numbers can always be changed, it's the actual effects of the abilities that should be focused on. Furthermore, there is two versions of Phoenix Stance I added. One is the Purist Version that still has 5 ranks and then the Ultimate Version that is much more powerful at the cost of a longer cooldown, cost and it actually functions as an ultimate with 3 ranks:

Spiritual Harmony (Passive):
The persistant effects of Udyr's stances persist into his next stance for 3/4/5 seconds.

Tiger Stance (Q):
Udyr leaps forward into the ferocious Tiger Stance, gaining attack speed for 5 seconds. If Udyr collides with an enemy unit, he mauls them, dealing physical damage over 2 seconds.

Persistant Effect:
Udyr's basic attacks, as well as his mauling leap rend the target's armor for 2 seconds.

Leap Distance:

Attack Speed:
30/40/50/60/70%

Physical Damage:
30/80/130/180/230 (+120/130/140/150/160% of AD)

Armor Reduction:
5/10/15/20/25/30

Cooldown:
6 seconds

Cost:
47/44/41/38/35 mana

Turtle Stance (W):
Udyr crouches into the defensive Turtle Stance, gaining damage reduction as he sits motionless for 1 second. He then gains a shield for up to 5 seconds.

Persistant Effect:
Udyr will counter attack any enemy unit that strikes him with a melee basic attack, dealing physical damage and knocking them back slightly. This effect can only trigger once per enemy every 5 seconds.

Damage Reduction:
10/15/20/25/30/35%

Shield:
60/100/140/180/220 (+50% of AP)(+6/7/8/9/10% of Bonus Health)

Physical Damage:
(60/70/80/90/100% of AD)(10% of Udyr's Maximum Health)

Cooldown:
6 seconds

Cost:
47/44/41/38/35 mana

Bear Stance (E):
Udyr stands upright into the mighty Bear Stance, gaining Tenacity and ingoring unit collision for 5 seconds.

Persistant Effect:
Udyr's basic attacks deal an additional 5/7/9/11/13/15% of his attack damage. Additionally, Udyr will stun enemies with his basic attacks. The stun effect can only trigger once per enemy every 6 seconds.

Tenacity:
15/20/25/30/35%

Cooldown:
6 seconds

Cost:
47/44/41/38/35 mana

Phoenix Stance (Purist Version) (R):
Udyr surges into the fiery Phoenix Stance gaining movement speed and pulsing waves of fire around him for 5 seconds, dealing magical damage to enemies within 250 units of him each second.

Persistant Effect:
Udyr's first attack, and every third attack after will unleash a cone of flames on his enemies, dealing magical damage.

Movement Speed:
15/20/25/30/35%

Movement Speed Duration:
2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3 seconds

Pulse Damage:
15/25/35/45/55 (25% of AP)

Total Pulse Damage:
75/125/175/225/275 (+125% of AP)

Flame Damage:
40/80/120/160/200 (+45% of AP)

Flame Range:

Cooldown:
6 seconds

Cost:
47/44/41/38/35 mana

Phoenix Stance (Ultimate Version) (R):
Udyr surges into the rampaging Phoenix Stance, gaining movement speed and pulsing waves of fire around him for 5 seconds, dealing magical damage to enemies within 600 units of him each second.

Persistant Effect:
Udyr's basic attacks gain and additional 175 attack range (300 total) and he gains mana equal to 10% of the damage he deals. Additionally, his first attack and every third attack after will unleash a cone of flames on his enemies, dealing magical damage.

Movement Speed:
20/35/50%

Movement Speed Duration:
3/4/5 seconds

Pulse Damage:
70/90/110 (+40% of AP)

Total Pulse Damage:
350/450/550 (+200% of AP)

Flame Damage:
75/175/275 (+60% of AP)(+10% of enemies missing health)

Flame Range:

Cooldown:
60/45/30 seconds

Cost: 125/100/75 mana

The over all idea here was to add some readability and decision making into Udyr's kit while retaining his stance dancing nature. His abilities now have very clear effects and make both Udyr and his enemies think hard about how they will approach situations.

For instance, Udyr now has a gap closer, but his speed boost is no longer tied to Bear Stance, meaning he may still not get that Bear Slap in. He can also miss or overshoot targets with the Tiger Leap, or even get juked. Additionally, he can no longer do the silly BEARTURTLECHARGE and plow through damage. He must stop to activate his Turtle Defenses, but in turn it makes him even harder to kill.

These changes would also open up a few new builds and ways to play Udyr;

With the Purist style, he may be able to go with a more AP/Tanky build in the jungle or top lane, favoring items like Rod of Ages or Rylai's Crystal Scepter with his new health ratios on Turtle Stance. In general, health and defensive items will be much more attractive for him.

With a gap closer, and pseudo range from the Ultimate version of Phoenix Stance, he might even see play as a top laner.

So anyway, what do you guys think of this rework idea? Any ideas or suggestions? Criticisms? Feel free to argue any changes I made, or suggest your own!

What items, runes and masteries would you take on Udyr with this kit? :D
Zordagoth
<Member>
Zordagoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2015 3:12pm | Report
Persistant Effect:
Udyr's basic attacks, as well as his mauling leap rend the target's armor for 2 seconds.

Holy ****, does that means he has a 650 range jump for every click ? hell no o_o
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2015 3:13pm | Report
Zordagoth wrote:
Persistant Effect:

Holy ****, does that means he has a 650 range jump for every click ? hell no o_o

No, he leaps on activation. It just means that the leap will also apply the debuff.
Zordagoth
<Member>
Zordagoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2015 3:18pm | Report
Oh well, misunderstood that then :p
I like the new jump on Q idea, cos I just despise Phoenix Udyr.

The idea of rewarding Udyr for building tanky through Turtle is really cool too.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2015 3:21pm | Report
Zordagoth wrote:
Oh well, misunderstood that then :p
I like the new jump on Q idea, cos I just despise Phoenix Udyr.

The idea of rewarding Udyr for building tanky through Turtle is really cool too.

I don't hate Phoenix Udyr, I just wish Udyr wasn't sacrificing 2 ranks of one of his abilities all the time. And yeah, I hate that trick2g full DPS **** too.
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2015 8:46pm | Report
I'm waiting for Nickname to give his opinion, but currently the W doesn't make a lot of sense.
Like how exactly are you supposed to use it in ny sort of situation apart from one guy engaging on you?
You can't use of offensively because you have a channel, and people aren't going to attack you if they're smart

The only other thing I can think of is that conceptually his Q and E go too well together.
His passive gives him a window where he has attack damage and attack speed and armor reduction for a few seconds, all completely for free which is completely broken.

Basically MOBAFire.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2015 12:15am | Report
I'm waiting for Nickname to give his opinion, but currently the W doesn't make a lot of sense.
Like how exactly are you supposed to use it in ny sort of situation apart from one guy engaging on you?
You can't use of offensively because you have a channel, and people aren't going to attack you if they're smart

The only other thing I can think of is that conceptually his Q and E go too well together.
His passive gives him a window where he has attack damage and attack speed and armor reduction for a few seconds, all completely for free which is completely broken.

Numbers can be changed my friend.
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2015 2:04am | Report
Hmm, I don't really like the style of this Udyr, I rather like the run around forever and splitpush to win style.

His passive, well, with 40% CDR he can have 3 stances active at once, try to beat him now.

A leap, well, *sleeps cuz 24/7*.

Armor reduction in combination with the other stuff can be quite nasty.

Pls, never ever let someone root himself, it just makes the champion useless. (hi, I am Malzahar)

Why physical damage? Give him some more magic damage so it is 1/2.

Hi Irelia.

Making the strongest aspect in his kit even stronger?

Ultimate Version the biggest overkill ever.

Purist is the same as live.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2015 12:17pm | Report
NicknameMy wrote:
Hmm, I don't really like the style of this Udyr, I rather like the run around forever and splitpush to win style.

His passive, well, with 40% CDR he can have 3 stances active at once, try to beat him now.

A leap, well, *sleeps cuz 24/7*.

Armor reduction in combination with the other stuff can be quite nasty.

Pls, never ever let someone root himself, it just makes the champion useless. (hi, I am Malzahar)

Why physical damage? Give him some more magic damage so it is 1/2.

Hi Irelia.

Making the strongest aspect in his kit even stronger?

Ultimate Version the biggest overkill ever.

Purist is the same as live.

Darealone
<Member>
Darealone's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2015 6:58pm | Report

Spiritual Harmony (Passive):
The persistant effects of Udyr's stances persist into his next stance for 3/4/5 seconds.

This. This is actually really cool...
I main...the entire top lane.
I miss: Tank Rengar top, AD Nidalee, Mash Keyboard Ryze...the OPs
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide