Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

So people used to stack heart of gold. Now I'm...

Creator: Considereth April 29, 2011 8:43pm
1 2
Considereth
<Member>
Considereth's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2011 8:43pm | Report
So people used to stack heart of gold. Now I'm beginning to see people stack philosopher's stones o.O!

I must admit the survivability you get in lane from one or two of them is quite good. I stack them on Poppy almost everyday because I roam and she is a horrible farmer. However, I've been considering stacking them on a lot more champion seeing how strong it is. For example, one of the top Irelia guides on solomid has health regen quits + philosopher stone as starting item. I watched the video of him playing and he was incredibly hard to harass even for Renekton and Alistar ganks because he would be back to full in less than 30 secs or so. xD

Anyways, thoughts?

Special thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the banner!

The higher your structure is to be, the deeper must be its foundation. - Augustine
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2011 8:55pm | Report
Works well for roamers.

caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2011 9:15pm | Report
i've seen philo stacking before though. same as avarice blade stacking.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2011 9:18pm | Report
So, why is nobody stacking Kage's Pick?

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2011 9:26pm | Report
soraka does.

4 picks and the greed mastery is a minion every 10 seconds.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2011 1:29am | Report
a couple of people still do stack HoG :P
AnIh
<Member>
AnIh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2011 1:44am | Report
i use philosopher for laning for so long , its just totaly OP you can lane forever fight back and still have enought mana and regenerate life so easy , yesterday game with irelia they get me to 15% life at lvl 1 im full life at lvl 2 :) i use it on all mana tanks too because they are awful in lane and support use it for a while for both i build it into shurelya but on carry i just sell it when i dont need it anymore .
its really really underated item it make you a god in lane for so cheap but its not worth stacking when i roam i just get 1 + 1 HoG and if you really need gold make a kage's pick (almost all roamer are AP) the regen is more than enought with only 1 stone .

ps : some guys have a guide or tips for roaming poppy ? never tried i already did it with alistar taric and maokai but i dont see how can poppy do it well .
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2011 4:43am | Report
I think only roamers stack philo stones. Personally, I think 1 or 2 philo stones is more than enough (depending on the champion) to start, maybe a 3rd if you buy a survivability item.

While watching livestreams, I've seen multiple incidents where people stack philo stones too much and they become virtually useless. One was a game with Wickd, where he stacked 4 philo stones, boots, and a stack of wards on zilean. Virtually all he could do was bomb poke the overextenders because he didn't have enough survivability to get near enough to help the team sufficiently. He really should have bought 2, bought a Giant's belt or Catalyst maybe, and then bought a third stone, stopping there. Because after the laning phase you should just upgrade 1 stone to a shurelya's reverie and sell the rest when you need the slots.

Another was a game where Elementz was playing roam lux, but decided instead to shut downr oam alistar by pushing bottom like mad. He bought a bunch of philo stones, but they didn't help him because renekton and jarvan would jump on him in seconds and kill him, and he'd ***** and moan to Rain Man (cho'gath laning with him) about how he needed to keep them back. He should have nutted up and bought a bit of survivability himself, instead of stacking regen that's useless against a lane that doesn't harass.

Lastly, I saw a game where TreeEskimo played Poppy. He mostly just solo bot'd, buying a bunch of philo stones. It wasn't a horrible idea, mostly because he was just trying to tower hug and shrug off harass from the 2 strong bottom laners. However, I think 2 philo stones was enough, because by the time it came to fight and he had 3, he didn't have any damage whatsoever. When he'd ult to take out Ashe, he couldn't kill her and he'd just die because he dove their whole team.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
AnIh
<Member>
AnIh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2011 4:47am | Report
its because ppl are too much used to stack HoG like ******s and become unkillable , they think philo is the same and fail .
For almost all situation 1 is enought
For extreme situation , like 1vs2 on a bad solo laner like poppy its worth getting 2 or maybe even 3 but you must build some item at the same time , for example recently i played a game i was 1vs2 with poppy i made 2 stones sheen boots and then a 3 rd stone and when TF came i had my trinity ready to pwn , anyway you should let this role to champions made for it and they dont need any stone .
for roaming tank philo + HoG is nice because you can build shurelya / Randuin so its not wasted at all .
Considereth
<Member>
Considereth's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2011 9:16am | Report
Well it isn't like HoG where you can build 3 of them and still be cost effective because HoG used to give so much survivability it wasn't even funny. However, just having one stone gives you amazing staying power in the lane in exchange for an item that will pay for itself later on easily and you can sell or build into something else. I'm probably going to stack it on every champion to be honest especially if I'm being denied.

Kage's Pick doesn't give survability but I will get one early if I know I'm building Deathfire. Same with Avarice blade, good to get early if rushing Ghostblade.

Special thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the banner!

The higher your structure is to be, the deeper must be its foundation. - Augustine
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide