Diana Build Guide by Death_possum
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hey everyone, welcome to my Diana guide; Diana, Chosen of the moon - A jungle guide.
In my opinion, Diana is an amazing champion, I couldn't wait until she came out, and when she did, she was a lot more than what I expected, so i'm extremely happy to bring this guide to you, and hopefully it will help you in being a better Diana player. Please, read it all and enjoy!
Some things I need to address
There are some quick things I need to address for this guide and Diana.
- This is how I build and play Diana, i'm not saying this is definitely how Diana should be played, just what I have found is best.
- This guide is for AP jungle Diana, I intend to extend into lane, but that's for another time.
- Diana is a new champion, she is said to be overpowered (but yet all new champions are due to people not knowing how to counter), in my opinion she is not, but I suspect she will be nerfed.
- I did some testing and I came to the conclusion that Diana is a better jungle than lane, this may just be my experience and others may have different opinions.
- If there is anything wrong with the guide, please! tell me in the comments, I want to know so I can fix these problems! (Or if you have any suggestions)
- In the builds/cheat sheets if you are confused, read the whole guide!
The lore for Diana is amazing in my opinion, so I included it.
An unyielding avatar of the moon's power, Diana wages a dark crusade against the sun-worshiping Solari. Though she once sought the acceptance of her people, years of futile struggle shaped her into a bitter, resentful warrior. She now presents her foes with a terrible ultimatum: revere the moon's light, or die by her crescent blade.
Though she was born to the Solari, Diana's inquisitive nature set her apart from her brethren. She had always found solace and guidance in the night sky, and questioned the dominance of the sun in her society. The Solari elders responded to her challenges with only derision and punishment. Diana remained convinced, however, that if she could find evidence of the moon's power, the elders would listen to reason. For years, she studied Solari archives in solitude until she discovered an encoded message hidden in an old tome. This clue led her to a secluded valley on Mount Targon where she unearthed the hidden entrance to an ancient, sealed temple. Inside, among aging relics and faded murals, she found an ornate suit of armor and a beautiful crescent blade, both inscribed with sigils of the moon. Diana donned the armaments and returned to the Solari elders that night. She declared that the artifacts proved others had once worshiped the moon as she did. Her discovery of evidence challenging Solari dominion shocked the elders. To Diana's horror, they pronounced her a heretic and condemned her to death. As the elders prepared her for execution, Diana's anger and sorrow overwhelmed her desire for acceptance. She lifted her gaze to the sky, calling upon the moon for strength. Lunar power surged within her and she shattered her bindings. Raising her relic blade, she turned and slaughtered the elders. With the temple in ruins behind her, Diana resolved to destroy all those who would deny the power of the moon.
Pros and Cons
I always take 21/9/0 masteries while jungling, as I get the damage from the offensive tree, and the armor from the defensive tree.
I take Summoner's Resolve for the smite gold, although you could not take it, and grab an extra point in Vigor . I take Hardiness and Tough Skin to neutralize damage from jungle creeps, and I take Bladed Armor for the little extra damage.
Other options could be taking 9/21/0, 21/0/9, 0/21/9 or even 14/16/0. If you do want to try these, you will need to play around yourself, as I don't think they are nearly as powerful as my current ones.
Greater Mark of Attack Speed
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Ability Power
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power - These are great more for midgame than when doing your jungle route, though they do help. They are also useful for ganking. Other options could be Greater Quintessence of Scaling Ability Power for more mid-late game power, you could also take Health or Armor, if so you pleased.
- Greater Glyph of Ability Power - The same reason as I take the Greater Quintessence of Ability Power. Some other options could be Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power, or again; you could take Magic resist or Mana related Glyphs.
- Greater Seal of Armor - Gives Diana a nice amount of armor for jungling and ganking. Other options could be Greater Seal of Health or Greater seal of Lucidity. You could also get mana regen Seals if you feel like you need the mana regen.
- Greater Mark of Attack Speed OR Greater Mark of Magic Penetration - These are both equal in usefulness in my opinion, where the Greater Mark of Attack Speed's make your jungle speed faster and the Greater Mark of Magic Penetration's make you more deadly later in the game (although, keep in mind these can help with jungling). Another option that you could roll with is the Greater Mark of Precision, these in theory could be very good, although I haven't been able to properly try them yet.
You should always take
This makes for allot faster jungling, and an ok gold source. It is also good for stealing enemy buff's and even baron or dragon. I strongly recommend taking this always.
I use this over Ghost, for the jumping over walls, you can also use this to quickly catch up to your target and follow up with a Crescent Strike or Lunar Rush.
This can be very useful when ganking, or if you are versing someone like Dr. Mundo.
If you weren't taking Flash, this would be my first choice, it is amazing for ganking, escapes or just neutralizing an enemy.
Some people take this, if you would rather have a sustained speed than a quick jump take this.
This can be very useful to gank and defend or push. For ganking you can teleport into a bush via a ward and gank. But I think other summoner spells can benefit you a lot more.
Do not take!
This is really only useful for hybrids like Jax and Kayle, as they can use the attack speed and the AP effectively, Diana doesn't auto-attack that much so it's not very good on her
This is only really useful early game in my opinion, since late game the minion is quickly killed. Your also jungling so you wont be in lane much early game to use it.
This is only plausible when your going to counter jungle A LOT, and in any case, I would leave this to your support.
You could take clarity, if you had a very mana hungry and mana dependent mid, and then give blue to them, although I just find that silly.
If you see that they have A LOT of CC on their team, and you feel you need it, take it.
I don't think is very useful at all on Diana, I would advise heavily on not taking it.
- Moonsilver Blade (Passive): This passively increases Diana's attack speed, which is great for jungling, and every third auto-attack "cleaves" in front of her (Effectively an AOE auto-attack). If you don't auto-attack for a few seconds, the counter gets reset.
- Crescent strike(Q): This is Diana's "Bread and butter" ability, in other words, Diana's main ability. It is a skillshot nuke in a crescent shape, any target hit is afflicted with Moonlight.
- Pale cascade(W): This creates a shield on Diana and creates three orbiting balls around Diana, these balls explode and deal damage on impact to enemies. If all three balls explode, Diana's shield is refreshed.
- Moonfall(E): This is Diana's only form of CC. When activated is draws in a slows all nearby enemies around her, use this when ganking, but only after the target begins to retreat.
- Lunar Rush(R): Diana's ultimate, her gap closer, this teleports (although it looks like a dash) Diana to an enemy in a moderate range, if the target is afflicted by Moonlight Lunar Rush's cooldown is refreshed. When using Lunar Rush always try to hit the target with your Crescent Strike so you can use Lunar Rush ASAP.
You will want to get points in Diana's ultimate Lunar Rush whenever possible, obviously. Then you will want to make her Q, Crescent Strike, as it is Diana's main damage ability and as it leads Diana's ultimate Lunar Rush. Next you want Diana's shield; Pale Cascade as it gives her the sustainability she needs, some more damage and her E; Moonfall doesn't scale as well as Pale Cascade.
Tips and Tricks
- You can use your Crescent Strike to check bushes, or Fog of war for enemies.
- You can use your Crescent Strike>> Lunar Rush combo to escape from your enemies in the jungle. You can also use your Lunar Rush on a enemy minion in lane for the same thing.
- Once you reach level 6 while jungling, you can quickly jump over the wall to your target using the Crescent Strike>> Lunar Rush combo.
- If you ever have some extra gold while your at base, grab some wards, you can use them for map awareness, counter jungling or jungle defense.
- You can try counter jungling if you think you can escape without dying, or preferably not encountering the opponents.
& x5 Take this option if you want to jungle with more damage reduction, also if they are an ad heavy team you can build this into your Ninja Tabi
& x3 Starting Boots of Speed and cloth armor, are roughly the same jungle speed (I haven't timed both yet but I intend to), I prefer the Boots of Speed option, as the movement speed helps with ganking.
Early game items
Kage's lucky pick I grab this, for cheap gold and AP, it also builds into my Deathfire Grasp.
OR The question is, what one do you pick? It takes some initiative on your part; When the opponents have a lot of CC, or are heavy in magic damage, choose Mercury's Treads. If the opponents are heavy in armor or auto-attackers, choose Ninja Tabi. In the case that it is even, I would choose Mercury's Treads, purely for the tenacity.
I absolutely love this item, it is incredibly under-used for some reason. It is great on Diana because it gives health and AP, as well as some much wanted magic penetration. All round; a must-have for Diana
Recommended/What I would use
If you wanted some extra speed, grab these.
I would grab these if in the rare case, the opponents have not much magic damage, armor or CC (pretty much a tank team).
Diana's cooldowns are already super-low, especially with blue buff, but if you want some more, go ahead.
Very useful for getting to places fast, that's about it.
Good for AD Diana, but guess what? This is AP jungle Diana.
This is a must have. Get it first if you don't need the magic resist.
I normally get this after my Rabadon's Deathcap, this is an amazing item, just don't forget to use it's active. I think this is also a must-have, but could be switched out.
This is a tricky item, I put it in core because I usually grab it to counter the opponents AP carry, although it's more of a situational item than a must have.
I don't usually get this, as I would prefer a resist item that gives more damage, it also it very expensive. NOTE: This is an extremely viable item, I just don't like it on Diana, just personal preference.
If I get this, I grab it in place of my Haunting Guise, as my second to last or last item
I haven't tried this yet, but it in theory is amazing on Diana.
I would get this, if you need to give your blue to your mid, if you want more mana regen or if you just can't get your blue for whatever reason.
Again, I don't usually get this, as the active is not that good on Diana, although if you need some more armor, sure get this.
If you are going to get this, get the catalyst the protector early, like in place of your Haunting Guise or just after/before.
Same as a catalyst the protector I would replace my Haunting Guise with this, I occasionally get this for the spell vamp, although I never build it into a Will of the Ancients
Grab this for some Magic resist and anti-CC if you want those, though I would get an Abyssal Scepter personally.
This is a great item, if you actually get to the point where you do end up having only 1 item space left, this is a great choice, but I would only get it if I needed the tankiness.
Diana's main goal, and your main goal as Diana in teamfights should be to focus down the AD carry and the AP carry.
You should be using your Lunar Rush to jump and focus down the AD carry primarily, AP carry as your secondary target, then you want to focus the next most dangerous target, so if the enemy jungler is doing a lot of damage, focus them next. If the support is the most dangerous because they are keeping their allies alive, focus them next. If the opponents solotop champion is the most dangerous, there's your target.
Usually, this is my basic focus-order in teamfights, do not hesitate to change it according to the information above:
AD Carry >> AP Carry >> Support >> Offtank >> Tank
In teamfights, and before teamfights, you need to keep in mind two things;
- Never focus the tank or tankiest person, if the enemies solotop is super tanky but still pumping out damage, although it may be hard, you need to focus the squishier targets.
- Do NOT initiate the fight, this is one of the worst things you can do, unless you are a tank you shouldn't initiate, you will be killed very quickly and probably not be able to take down anyone. Let your tank initiate!
Invade or no invade
This is pretty simple, Diana is not to great at invades, as she doesn't have A LOT of early damage (like Ashe) and she doesn't have any level 1 hard CC, so unless your team is good at invading (High level 1 damage or level 1 hard CC), I would advise not invading.
This is my normal jungle route, you can change this if you desire.
- (Wolves) You will want to go strait to wolves, get your team mates to guard so you don't get ganked. Start off by attacking wolves and using you Pale Cascade, getting your allies to assist (do not get your allies to leash wolves), keep in mind, most ranged champions can auto-attack wolves and not steal XP.
- (Blue Golem) Next go to Blue, get your mid to leash, or top if your mid is a melee, once the Golem starts attacking you, use your Pale Cascade and then spam it until it's health reaches your Smite damage, then Smite it. You should have leveled up, pick your Crescent Strike.
- (Wraiths) Walk to wraiths, use your Crescent Strike once in range, activate your Pale Cascade and auto-attack until they die.
- (Small golems) Walk to small golems, again use your Crescent Strike and Pale Cascade until they die.
- (Red buff) Walk to red buff, your smite should be under 10 second cooldown by now, so start by using your Crescent Strike and following up with Pale Cascade, spam until the Lizard's health reaches the point where you can Smite it.
- (Wraiths) Go to wraiths and do them again (you may have to wait a second or two for them to spawn), you do this to reach level 4 and being able to use Moonfall.
- (Ganking) After you are level four, look for a gank, generally if you are blue team you should gank bot or mid, and if you are purple team, top or mid. You will want to get behind your target, and force their flash. If you can, stay behind them so when they flash they are next to you. Use you Crescent Strike and your Pale Cascade for damage, and as they run past you use your Moonfall.
Thank you for getting to this point in the guide, I hope you learned a lot and that the guide wasn't to boring, I hope it helps you a lot to improve.
I'll say it again; if you find anything wrong please do not hesitate to let me know, if these anythings you think I could or should add, inform me!
If you do downvote, please tell me why! I want to improve!
I hope you enjoyed, and if you did find it useful, you could rate (sorry if you have to comment, don't want troll downvotes).
- Released guide.
- Added Tips and Tricks section.
- Fixed Crescent Strike in ability explanation.
- Touched up the ability sequence section.
- Overhauled the Teamfights section for improvements.
- Updated the Some things I need to address section.