Build Guide by Shujin
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Use With Caution:
This is a detailed guide on how I play MID with kennen, I do not recommend you lane with this build unless you have extensive kennen experience.
9x Greater Mark of Focus. 1.44% Cooldown Reduction
9x Greater Glyph of Sapience. +23.76 Maximum Energy @ level 18
9x Greater Seal of Ludicity. 9.5 Energy Regeneration/5 second @ level 18
3x Greater Quintessence of Meditation. 4.5 Energy Regeneration/5 second
Totals @ level 18:
1.44% Cooldown Reduction, 14 Energy Regeneration/5 second, +23.76 Maximum Energy
First 3 points go to Thundering Shuriken, Electrical Surge and Lightning Rush respectfully.
Your following skill set priority is as follow..
1) Slicing Maelstrom
- Always prioritize. Level your ult up at 6, 11 and 16.
2) Electrical Surge
- Your main damage ability. The cooldown starts at 14 seconds and finishes at 6 seconds. This is your key for your stuns and damage output.
3) Thundering Shuriken
- The energy cost is reduced per level with this ability, which is why its vital to level this second. Starting cost is 65 energy and ends at 45. The cooldown is also at 3 seconds at max level which allows you to constantly harass.
3) Lightning Rush
- This is the least important skill. Due to the insanely high energy cost (100) you will not be using this ability much hence the reason to level it up last. I use it for creep farming, initiating in a 1v1 (explained later), escaping or finishing a stun.
Item Build Order:
1) Begin the game with Boots of Speed + 3 Health Potions.
2) At around level 6 or 7, blue pill and obtain your Majai's Soulstealer and finish your magic pen boots if you had a successful gank or 2.
3) The next choice is personal preferance: Guinsoo's Rageblade or Rylai's Crystal Scepter.
- Rageblade is an overall damage boost. Rylais helps with ganks and survivability.
4) Pickup the item you didn't choose. (Rageblade/Scepter)
5) By this time, your energy regen should be very decent and the only thing holding back your damage is your cooldowns. Perfect time to pick up Nashor's tooth. Not only is this increasing your damage from the 50% attack speed and 55 ability power but the 25% reduced cooldown is just raising the cap on the amount of damage you can do since energy isn't a problem in the slightest.
6) The final item of your build: Zhonya's Ring. This ring actually allows you to initiate team battles to great effect. (explained below)
Teleport - to return to my mid tower immediately after a gank
Ignite - improved ganking
Legendary Kennen Guide:
First off, let me start by saying this is a solo lane (MID) guide primarily, and unless you have Kennen experience I wouldn't recommend laneing with it.
The most important thing when your in mid, is to analyze your opponent.
- Which champions can/cant you take
- Know your opponents abilitys and capability to counter your own
- Are they an playing aggresively or passively
All of this data can be collected within the first 3 levels.
If your opponent is trying to harass, you learn to stay aware and dodge everything. (Karthus/Ezreal). You need to be near full hp by the time you reach level 6, so don't waste your potions and pay attention. Use lightning rush if you really need to get out of there and then wait by the turret untill your energy regens or your hp is decent again from the health potion.
If you play passively while they are playing aggressively, you will lose your tower fairly swiftly. Kennen is the master of harassment if you can land your shurikens. Every shuriken that hits a champion should be followed by a lightning surge unless your planning something and conserving your energy resources. Its also important to note that by the time surge is level 5, you will beable to surge twice before the marks begin falling of your opponent.
Level 6, you should have 1 level in each ability, and 3 in surge. Now you need to gank your mid opponent before you recall. My method of choise is to continue to harass as if I'm not planning anything, just like ive been doing the whole game so far. I'm aiming to get my opponent down to 50-70% health by the time im level 6. If things looks positive, I throw 1 more shuriken and surge them to put up 2 marks. Now I sit back at the turret and wait for my energy to regen and and my surge cooldown should almost be up again.
You need to charge in when there is still 2 marks on your opponent, health pot before you charge in, it could be the difference between his death, or your own. Your still an extremely squishy hero don't forget so your stun is extremely important to prevent them bursting you, or retreating to the turret. The first attempt at this gank is always going to be easier than the second due to how powerful kennen is in early game, on top of that if you fail once you will be suprised how defensively your opponent plays against you from there on out.
Alright, your pro - gank successful. My score is 1-0-0 and its about time i recall for some health and gear. My next objective is to go for another gank, I stay close to the middle tower im defending but out of enemy minions range so i am undetected. Depending on how smart your mid opponent is, he will probably start pushing your tower when he gets back and noticed your MIA. This is the easiest gank of the game if they fall for it. Wait in the bushes in the river, wait untill he approaches tower and then lightning rush in to him from behind and unleash chaos. If everything hits, hes not getting away. Bonus points if you stun him within turret range and make it change targets to him.
Now you have 2 options with a 2-0-0 score, go assist your laners or go for the tower push. A tower push at this level is risky, since this is an ability power build and not attack speed the rate in which you bring down a tower is very small which is why i leave it for now and go for another gank in one of the lanes. If you do go for a tower push and you notice that either lane only has 1 opponent, your gonna want to back immediately. Don't forget, your squishy and your going for Majais. You don't wanna die, survivaiblity means everything to you. If i do notice someone leave a lane to come gank me. If your ults up, you can hide and wait for yet another gank. Around level 9-10 is when you should push for the middle tower and from then on, you will not want to be found alone.. they know your good and will hunt you down if you try to solo push a lane.
How to Initiate with Zhonya's ring:
To start with timing needs to be perfect, if your a noob.. your just gonna die.
Shuriken the enemy your team has marked for focus fire, follow by an immediate surge then back up. You need your surge cooldown to come back up now or atleast ALMOST ready. This is where your timing is crucial. Shuriken a second squishy enemy and run in (WITHOUT LIGHTNING RUSH). Get off the second surge to do both a) stun your primary target, and b) give your second target 2 marks in preperation for a stun. Immediately after surge, use your ult (if you use lightning rush you may not have enough energy, nor will you even have an escape mechanism because it will be on cooldown). Immediately after your ult, you gotta pop zhonya's. This will continue through your invulnability effect, now they may or may not still be attacking you. Whatever the case, it shouldnt be a problem. The very split second your ring expires, lightning rush in to nearby enemies and get out of there before you get focused. The goal of this is to get 1 final last run of stuns off before you gotta get out of the battle, and its highly likely you will stun the people who are focussing you ready for when your ring expires. Don't forget, you can cast your spells while your lightning rushing. So throw a shruiken behind you followed by a surge for an extra boost of damage or to stun someone persuing you. This also work very well for "baiting" opponents.
<to be continued>