This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
You Can't Milk Those In Depth Alistar Guide
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
(Myth & Legend / Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth a monster with the head of a bull and the body of a man. It was kept in the Labyrinth in Crete, feeding on human flesh, until destroyed by Theseus
Clairvoyance: It is mandatory that at least one person on your team have this spell, as it helps in level 1 jungle fights and can also spot the other jungler, setting them up for counter-jungling.
Other Potential Spells
Ghost: Another good spell with multiple uses: chasing, escaping, ganking, and positioning that Headbutt.
Teleport: Can help you get between lanes quickly; another plausible spell.
Cleanse: Helps you take CC better, but is generally unnecessary.
Clarity: If you really have no restraint and spam your moves constantly, this will help you out early in the game.
Remember to get the improvement mastery for any summoner spell you take if possible.
Greater Seal of Clarity: These help keep your mana up early to late, as Alistar doesn't get too much base mana and I don't really build any (besides Chalice of Harmony). You can also use Greater Seal of Evasion for more durability and Nimbleness procs. Greater Seal of Resilience helps reduce minion damage and are especially good for counterjungling.
Greater Glyph of Celerity: CDR is pretty good on Alistar, as he doesn't scale well with much else. Other options for glyphs are Greater Glyph of Shielding or Greater Glyph of Clarity for more durability or mana respectively.
Greater Quintessence of Swiftness: In general, moving faster is going to help out Alistar the most. You can also take Greater Quintessence of Fortitude if you are concerned that you might die early, though Alistar is naturally tanky.
Ionian Boots of Lucidity: You need the CDR
Shurelya's Reverie: At this point you run out of slots so you start finishing your gold items. This is a great support item, especially good on Alistar.
Randuin's Omen: A formerly great, now decent, tank item that builds from your Heart of Gold. Combined with Shurelya's, you can give your team a large positional advantage.
Force of Nature: Take this as your last item if you are getting killed by magic damage or especially percentage health
Frozen Heart: A great item on Alistar with a good aura and CDR. Sometimes this is an alternative to finishing Randuin's Omen.
Banshees: You can get this earlier but other items are more important
1. Baron/Dragon: These are the two most important neutral monsters in the game. Baron gives a game changing buff, and both give a lot of money. Keep this warded whenever the enemy might be capable of killing them.
NOTE: You don't necessarily have to place the ward where it has vision of Baron or Dragon. You just need to ward so that you know if they are trying to do it.
2. Small Bushes Near Mid: These bushes reveal many different enemy paths, and make mid almost 100% gank proof. These are best for keeping track of inter-lane movement.
3. Small Bushes Near Sides: These bushes tend to be where the jungler ganks side lanes from. These are important wards, but not necessarily as important as the previous ones.
4. Red/Blue Buffs: If your jungler is getting his jungle stolen, help him out! Also, if your jungler is capable of stealing their buffs, help him out! These are generally the lowest priority wards but may be more important depending on the situation.
Knowing when to gank is just as important as knowing how to. Here are some things to consider:
1. Is the person you are trying to gank overextended?
2. Does the person you are trying to gank have an escape mechanism?
3. Does the enemy know you are going to gank?
4. Is the enemy team in position to save their teammate or kill you?
To finish many ganks, you must dive their tower to finish off the enemy. Alistar is a great tower diver as Unbreakable Will makes towers hit you for very little. Here are some things to consider when wondering if you should dive their tower:
1. Is your ultimate off cooldown?
2. Does the enemy have an escape mechanic that they haven't used yet?
3. Can the enemy kill me at the tower?
4. Is the enemy team converging to save their teammate or kill you?
1. Heal your teammate with Triumphant Roar.
2. Deter and interrupt enemies with your Pulverize.
3. Keep enemies off of your teammate with Headbutt.
4. Draw damage away from your teammate. In general, if you get up in people's faces, they start to attack you. Use your tankiness to your advantage and keep them from attacking your teammate.
1. Come in from the back. This helps you land your Headbutt and also tends to make the enemies focus you. Also, regarding to Headbutt, remember that it can be used defensively as well, keeping an enemy from getting a kill.
2. Once enemies are focusing you, use Unbreakable Will to keep yourself alive.
3. Try to hit as many people as you can with Pulverize, and make sure to get important or squishy people with it such as carries.
4. Keep using your heal; it can make a difference.