Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Signature of the Week #1

Creator: Janitsu April 22, 2014 12:12pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

1 2
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2014 12:12pm | Report

Thanks to YayaFTW for doing this banner, this line divider and one of the prizes!

Hello everyone and welcome to the first Signature of the Week (The REBORN ONE) :)! I am Janitsu and I will be hosting these things at least for a while.

So what is Signature of the Week? Signature of the Week is a competition where you submit a signature. The community will then vote the one they think is the best. The winner will then receive prizes and he has the chance to decide the next SOTW's theme or renders.

So please, if you want to participate send me the work through a PM. I will try to post the new thread every Monday 22:00 +2 GMT (my time). The participating will last for a week and after that the voting will take place. There is a jury that votes too (YayaFTW, last week's winner and I) and our vote is worth 3 points. We will decide which one is the best one (OUR OWN OPINIONS) and then decide who deserves the extra points. It lasts until Saturday when I will announce the winner and give him/her the prizes and ask for the theme or renders (I will probably make a schedule about this to make it easier for you guys to understand!)

Prizes:
  • There will be a badge on your signature - it is made by YayaFTW!
  • (FUTURE) A possible news post on Mobafire.com and possibly a post on Facebook!
  • (FUTURE) Title and a badge for a week!

Rules:
  • You must either use the provided renders OR if there aren't any the theme must be recognizable from the signature
  • YOU CAN NOT USE A PREMADE SIGNATURE! You can't use a signature which you have made before the announcement of the theme or the renders
  • If you've won the last SOTW you can not participate in this one
  • If you want to write text, you can add THEME related text
  • Size restrictions are 350 x 150px - 500 x 200px

I might've forgotten some rules, please mention if you can think of any

This week's renders are:

WoW Panda Render

Alex Mercer Render

Darksiders Render

Slash Render

Enchantress Render

Templar Assassin Render

Udyr Render

You must use at least one of these in your work. Otherwise it will be disqualified. Happy signaturemakingtime!

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2014 12:33pm | Report
Those renders are super random, you should probably have them be somehow related in my opinion or at the very least have them all be renders, because there's very few people who won't pick the nebula thing and use it as a background, rather than picking a render and looking for or making a new bg. Either have 5 Nebula backgrounds, make it a space theme, or have 5 game character renders; without backgrounds.

And also there's something wrong with the first link, idk what but it's ok if you remove the full from the link.

Also why and how are you judging the signatures?

by jhoijhoi
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2014 12:40pm | Report
Quoted:

Those renders are super random, you should probably have them be somehow related in my opinion or at the very least have them all be renders, because there's very few people who won't pick the nebula thing and use it as a background, rather than picking a render and looking for or making a new bg. Either have 5 Nebula backgrounds, make it a space theme, or have 5 game character renders; without backgrounds.

And also there's something wrong with the first link, idk what but it's ok if you remove the full from the link.

Also why and how are you judging the signatures?

Well made everyone a game render :p

And as I stated in the OP I will put up a voting thread :p
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2014 12:43pm | Report
Oh, okay. Think it's kinda better if you, or you and yaya/somebody else, were judging instead.
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2014 12:50pm | Report
I think monthly signature contest would be more promising and encouraging than weekly.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
YayaFTW
<Altruistic Artist>
YayaFTW's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2014 12:53pm | Report
I think a balance between both the voting system and judging system might be viable aswell.

A judge's vote is worth 3 points. Public vote is worth 1 point.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2014 12:55pm | Report
Quoted:

Oh, okay. Think it's kinda better if you, or you and yaya/somebody else, were judging instead.

Well if the people who participate really think that is better way, I shall consider it :p But because this is the first of the new reborn SOTWs I will run it the old style :)

Joxuu wrote:

I think monthly signature contest would be more promising and encouraging than weekly.

Then it wouldn't be SOTW ;(

Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2014 12:56pm | Report
YayaFTW wrote:

I think a balance between both the voting system and judging system might be viable aswell.

A judge's vote is worth 3 points. Public vote is worth 1 point.

Well maybe if you, I and the last week's winner were the judges, it might work?

YayaFTW
<Altruistic Artist>
YayaFTW's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2014 1:28pm | Report
Janitsu wrote:

Well maybe if you, I and the last week's winner were the judges, it might work?

I don't mind :)

But will the judge system vote be a common vote (We agree on one signature that will get 3 points) or each of the judges' vote will be worth 3 points?

Also what should we base on during voting? I feel like everyone should agree on some universal scale, for example:
  • Creativity - Something new and original is worth more than something cliché for example.
  • Technique - A signature that uses fine smudging for example has more value than a badly smudged signature.
  • Quality - Focal placement, how visible/recognizable the mandatory render is, etc.

I really feel it's mandatory to be strict on the judging scale, not only so the voting is fair, but also to avoid an issue we had with Jayjay's Battle arena:

Me (I admit) and other contestants just took the mandatory render, tweaked it to the point its not even visible anymore, added it on an irrelevant spot on the signature, and then stayed in our comfort zone, which was kinda toxic to the contest :/

All in all, I also think we should limit the mandatory render number to 1, so we can actually compare people's work.

My 2 cents :P
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2014 1:38pm | Report
Yes thank you Yaya. That's exactly why I wanted a smaller group of people to be the ones who, week in and week out, are choosing the winners. What happens usually, hope this doesn't offend anyone or anything btw, is either people either vote for their friends or they vote for signatures that are super vanilla. You have Bob who worked on his sig for over an hour and took the time to learn new techniques to make it the best sig possible, and then there's Rob who slapped a render on the mandatory nebula background, faded it out to 10% and set it to screen, and added some cool text and he got more votes cuz it looked nice. Also kind of common is people voting for stuff because the render is like... britney spears or something and they love her music.

Might sound rant-y but yeah! This is just based on the past SOTWs and similar things.

And I agree with having Janitsu, or whoever is the host, Yaya (cuz he's doing the prizes and banners and he's cool and good at this) and each weeks winner be the judges, that's a great idea. I'd think that three people can agree on one opinion, and make it a mutual vote of 3, but it could also be 3 pts per judge.

thank you jhoijhoi for the signature <3
1 2

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide