Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Winners! - MOBAFire Season 9 Guide Contest

Creator: PsiGuard January 7, 2019 5:06pm
1 2 3
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 7, 2019 5:06pm | Report

It's time to announce the winners of our Season 9 Guide Contest! There were a lot of fantastic guides that qualified for this contest, but we could only pick one to win in each category. Check out the honorable mentions in each section for more great guides!

Contest Prizes
As a quick reminder, all winners of this contest will receive equal prizing. The winners of any category will receive $100 RP, $50 of Steam money as well as their choice of $50 of merch from the Riot Merch store!

We’ll be sending out emails to all the winners shortly asking for your choice of merch. The item(s) you select must be in stock so that we can buy it for you!

In addition to the prizes above, the author of the winning guide for each category will receive a unique badge for their profile. The badge will be linked to their guide so that anyone can easily check out their awesome guide with just one click!

Winners will also receive a title that goes along with their badge! Keep in mind that the badges and titles may take a little while to show up, so be patient!

Winners
Calculated
Judge: I Am Goliath

Updated Guide

<Brawler>
Demacia's Wings: r/QuinnMains' Guide To Quinn and Valor!
Author: QuinnMains

This is a collaborative effort on the part of many different Quinn mains from the r/QuinnMains subreddit. It's clear that a ton of work went into the creation and growth of this guide. QuinnMains' guide contains everything you could possibly want to know about the champion. Goliath was especially impressed with the extensive matchups section. A lot of the champion roster is covered and each matchup is detailed enough to make it a useful resource for readers looking to improve their early game or handle a troublesome lane matchup. Props to 'Moose for taking on the task of compiling the info and advice from such a wide variety of sources into a cohesive guide.

New Guide

<Brawler>
A Mad Lad's Guide to Fiora
Author: Proxxecube

Matchups, splitpushing, combos--this guide has everything a novice Fiora player needs to step up their game and master the dance of the duelist. The nuanced matchups and mechanical tips betray the author's wealth of experience with Fiora, while the rest of the guide covers all the other important info you need to get started learning the champion. Fiora can be a challenging champion to master, but with Proxxecube's guide, you know you're in good hands.

Wild Card

<Brawler>
Teemo's Code - Teemo Top Resource (Grasp / Aery / PTA)
Author: Janitsu

Janitsu's writing is clear, organized and easy to follow. Despite covering a wide variety of information and build setups, you'll never get lost in this guide. Despite such a simple kit, Teemo is a champion with a lot of different build options and playstyles, so it can definitely be a challenge to cover all that info with a satisfying amount of depth, but Janitsu makes it look easy and keeps the guide concise and organized at the same time. This is definitely a good guide to check out for Teemo players and guide authors alike.

I Smell Fear
Judge: PsiGuard

Updated Guide

<Stalker>
Don't Mess With The Tree! Maokai Jungle & Top S9
Author: Silverman43

It's rare to find a truly in-depth multi-role guide that covers enough information to compete with the best guides in each role. Silverman43's Maokai guide isn't just a great multi-role guide, it's a great jungle guide too. Silverman cleverly combines many of the commonalities between top Maokai and jungle Maokai to streamline his guide as much as possible without sacrificing depth of information. Talking about Maokai in two different roles never gets too complicated or confusing and the amount of jungle-specific info in this guide rivals the best jungle guides. Whether you're a top lane Maokai player or you bring him into the jungle, this guide is worth a look.

New Guide

<Stalker>
Jungle Hecarim - Spreading Terror Upon The Rift
Author: Maintained

Most guides take months to evolve and mature until they reach this quality, but Maintained's Hecarim guide tramples most of the competition right out of the gate. The amount of care and polish shown in this guide is evident in not only the great visuals, but the nuanced details of every section and wide variety of gameplay info. Expect an extensive build breakdown along with every trick in the book when it comes to Hecarim mechanics, pathing tips and ganking advice. I look forward to seeing this guide grow and change in the future. As a fellow jungle author, I'll be coming back to this guide to take inspiration from the way Maintained organizes and breaks down different gameplay topics. Hopefully we'll be seeing even more guides of this caliber in the future as well!

Wild Card

<Stalker>
Fear The Void - 8.24b In-Depth Kha'Zix Guide
Author: EvilOranges

This guide seems like a decently solid Kha'Zix guide as you scroll through the build sections, then you get to the gameplay chapters and you realize you're barely halfway through! EvilOranges is clear and concise, which helps him cram a ton of information in the guide without it dragging on and on. Everything you need to know to play jungle Kha'Zix is here, whether you're looking for some early pathing tips, ganking advice, evolution breakdowns or even a section on split-pushing. For the amount of info in here, the guide is formatted quite nicely so you'll never be lost in a wall of text.

Watch Closely
Judge: Yamikaze

Updated Guide

<Sorcerer>
[Preseason 8.24: Mid] Light 'Em Up (I'm on fiyaa): Luxeøn S
Author: LuxTheGreyWarden

Luxeøn's guide returns to take the Updated mid lane category once again. Visually, this guide is as colorful as you'd expect a top Lux guide to be, plus it's organized with graphics, columns and dividers to break up the text. The solid visuals are important because this guide is a long one, covering just about everything you'd think a Lux guide could contain, and then some. Luxeøn doesn't leave much to the imagination, so you can find an answer to virtually any build question you might have in the guide already. Whether you're a Lux enthusiast or brand new to the champion, there's something for you in this guide.

New Guide

<Sorcerer>
Yeager's Master Neeko Guide [Mid + Jungle + Support builds]
Author: Mayuran95

It's a real blessing to have a top quality guide author like Yeager on duty when a new champion comes out. From day one, new Neeko players have had access to this solid resource covering multiple roles and playstyles. Yeager's information is not only thorough and well formatted, but it comes from a high level of play as well, so the vast majority of League players will learn something from reading this guide. Whether you want help with itemization, examples of proper ability combos or some advice on how to transition with Neeko into different phases of the game, this guide has everything you'll need to point you in the right direction as you learn League's newest champion.

Wild Card

<Sorcerer>
[8.24] Melyn's Zyra Guide (Support and Mid) for Preseason 9
Author: Melyn

This is one of those guides where you think the author is out of gameplay information until you look at the scroll bar and realize there's still a ton of content to go. Melyn covers a variety of build options in multiple roles as well as a number of gameplay topics like "how to lose lane gracefully" that few guides try to tackle. I especially liked the author's section on plant and seed usage, as it's a skill you can't really develop unless you actually play Zyra. Encompassing so many topics, all with an appropriate amount of depth, this guide is a great resource for any budding Zyra player.

You're Outgunned
Judge: Vicious Skittle

Updated Guide

<Sharpshooter>
[8.24] Varus ADC - Give me a target
Author: xTheUnlimited

Varus is a surprisingly flexible champion with several build options, each with their own differences in playstyle. With xTheUnlimited's guide, you'll have the opportunity to explore several different options with a satisfying level of depth. The guide also looks fantastic and the graphics help break up and organize different chunks of information so you as the reader can get to the good stuff easily. Varus is a pretty good champion to start with if you're learning to play ADC, so I'd definitely recommend this one to new ADC players, or just anyone with an interest in the champion.

New Guide

<Sharpshooter>
K/DA Player - A Kai'Sa Guide
Author: Lycra

Another ADC guide with great visuals and top quality information, covering all the options a Kai'Sa player can take advantage of. Aside from a well-rounded guide core with the necessary information you find in most ADC guides, Skittle was impressed by the detailed support matchups section, outlining the different support playstyles you'll have to adjust to as a Kai'Sa player. Lane synergy is important for success in a duo lane, and this guide is a great place to learn to work better with your lane partners.

Wild Card

<Sharpshooter>
[8.24] Fortune Doesn't Favor Fools [IN DEPTH MISS FORTUNE GUIDE]
Author: undeadsoldiers

In Skittle's words, this guide offers "an absolute onslaught of relevant information," making it truly deserving of the "in-depth" in the title. Undeadsoldiers covers a number of important details such as jungle objectives that many lane guides overlook. This guide also contains a solid support pairing section to help your draft and your laning phase in a variety of different bot lane situations. As another great starting ADC for new bot lane players, definitely check out this guide if you're new to the role or if you're interested in Miss Fortune.

A Sublime Duet
Judge: Jovy

Updated Guide

<Wingman>
[S9] Surf's Up! - Taric Support Guide
Author: L3gislacerator

L3gislacerator keeps winning with this same guide and he continues to update, tweak and improve it over the years. I've written a description for this one guide so many times that I feel I'm starting to run out of unique ways to say how great it is. Suffice it to say, this is one of the best looking, best written and most informative guides on the site and the author keeps on updating it constantly. L3gislacerator's guide is an absolute boon to Taric players as they have a fun, reliable resource to return to. Guide authors can also learn a lot from this guide in terms of organization, graphics, information and even humor. If you haven't read the author's poem about laning with Jhin, do yourself a favor and check it out in the guide. It makes me smile every time.

New Guide

<Wingman>
Wish of a shooting star [S9]
Author: Chromuro

Jovy was especially impressed with the aesthetics of this guide as well as the writing prowess on display. She describes Chromuro's writing as "professional but also humorous," which to me is the perfect writing style for a guide author. Chromuro shows how guides can dazzle and entertain as well as inform. Whether you're an aspiring Soraka player, an interested guide author or you're just looking for a fun guide to read, give Chromuro's Soraka guide a look.

Wild Card

<Wingman>
[8.24] Brand Support
Author: unk87

A lot of guides have enough info to get you started with a champion, but unk87 is the kind of author to really dig deep and get to the nitty gritty of Brand mechanics, mindset and other gameplay advice. This is the kind of guide where "detailed" doesn't mean long-winded, but rather that there are so many useful tidbits of information that by the end of it you'll have learned a lot. There are only a few popular mage supports in the game so a lot of players aren't familiar with the mindset of a champion like Brand, but with unk87's guide, you'll have the tools and direction to tackle any challenge in your games.

I'm One of a Kind
Judge: Hoppermh

Updated Guide

<Fabulous>
Revelations S8 new runes Teemo guide
Author: Dzopilant

Dzopilant makes a big impact with his Teemo guide aesthetics once again. As the previous aesthetics winner of the midseason 8 contest, Dzopilant knows how to impact a reader with well-tuned formatting and flashy graphics and his guide is still a visual knockout. In addition to the guide's aesthetics, it's also organized well to keep the reader engaged in the wealth of details about Teemo. This guide always feels fresh because the author makes an effort to create a visual impression that's a bit different from other guides on the site. I hope Dzopilant continues to show off his creativity and style in the future.

New Guide

<Fabulous>
Season 9 Singed guide by an enthusiast
Author: Joxuu

Sometimes a guide's visuals evolve over the course of months or years as the author gets more time to improve upon their initial work. That isn't the case here, as Joxuu's already created one of the more visually impressive guides on the site right out of the gate. Hopper was pleased with the clean use of space and well matched colors. Joxuu's Singed guide is a great example of how a handful of graphics alongside some fairly simple coding techniques can create a fun and engaging reader experience in the hands of an experienced author. If you're a guide author looking for some simple but effective BBCode techniques to spruce up your guide, pay close attention to how Joxuu's images, colors and spacing and you'll learn how you can do a lot to improve your guide's visuals with a few slight adjustments.

Wild Card

<Fabulous>
[Pre-S9] Ye Olde Pantheon Top
Author: Swuft

If you've been keeping up with previous guide contests, you'll likely be familiar with Swuft's Pantheon guide. This guide has grown and improved a ton since its original release and the years of effort and care show right on the surface. Like the other guides with great aesthetics, Swuft expertly peppers in images and spaces his content to be more engaging visually. Hopper also felt the guide's visual theme was especially cohesive, elevating it from a well-organized guide with nice graphics to a truly unified work.

Thanks to all the authors for writing all these awesome guides, and to the judges for spending the time to go through a ton of candidates. I hope everyone enjoyed the contest and may these guides help you with your ranked journey this season.

If you are a winner you will be contacted this week via email to coordinate prizing.

Judges
Our judges helped with going through all the guides that qualified for each category, to help us pick out the best of the best. Thanks to all our judges for helping make this contest possible!

I Am Goliath

Judged: Calculated
PsiGuard

Judged: I Smell Fear
Yamikaze

Judged: Watch Closely
Vicious Skittle

Judged: You're Outgunned
Jovy

Judged: A Sublime Duet
Hoppermh

Judged: I'm One of a Kind
All judges will receive a special badge as thanks for helping out with this year's contest. Give these dedicated folks a hand (or a +Rep or something)! :)
Thanks to Fatelblade for the sig!
Yamikaze
<Veteran>
Yamikaze's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 7, 2019 5:15pm | Report
psi is the best community manager ever
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 7, 2019 5:22pm | Report
king of honorable mentions even when im not competing, yall lucky i didnt compete
Swuft
<Fabulous>
Swuft's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 7, 2019 7:03pm | Report
! Congrats to everyone!
EvilOranges
<Stalker>
EvilOranges's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 7, 2019 7:06pm | Report
Wow! Thank you all for your support and thank you to all the judges for all your hard work over the holidays! (Especially PsiGuard for picking me)
L3gislacerator
<Fabulous>
L3gislacerator's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 7, 2019 8:19pm | Report
Congrats everyone! <3

| Support Taric Guide | Jungle Taric Guide | signature by jhoijhoi! |
I Am Goliath
<Veteran>
I Am Goliath's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 7, 2019 9:53pm | Report
Good stuff everyone, glad to be apart of it.
Maintained
<Stalker>
Maintained's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 7, 2019 10:18pm | Report
@ Janitsu did Psi and Vapora finally check their paypals :^)

Congratulations to all the contest winners! Would also like to thank the community and most importantly Psiguard, especially for his kind and inspiring comment about my guide.

Special thanks to Jovy for the signature! Check out her shop
Silverman43
<Versatility Master>
Silverman43's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 7, 2019 10:35pm | Report
Wow. I can't thank this community (especially PsiGuard) enough.
Also congratulations to all the other winners!
Thanks to @ Jovy for the signature!
Dzopilant
<Fabulous>
Dzopilant's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2019 12:32am | Report
HAPPY NEW YEAR AND THANK YOU SO MUCH ALL MOBAFIRE TEAM <3

Marvellous way to start 2019 :)

Congratulations to all winners but also everyone involved in this contest, you are all super gifted !
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide