Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Xiao extensive SIG gallery, tutorials etc.

Creator: Xiaowiriamu March 24, 2011 8:47am
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Xiaowiriamu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 16, 2011 6:45pm | Report
Sure, I'll do these requests (like I said) if I got time, I'm really busy, as of short.

Thanks
Spaceycoww
<Member>
Spaceycoww's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 16, 2011 6:57pm | Report

Sure, I'll do these requests (like I said) if I got time, I'm really busy, as of short.

Thanks

Thank you so much!!
+Rep me Plz!!/Thanks to the GrandMasterD, Xiaowiriamu, Missmaw, LaCorpse, The_Nameless_Bard, Spooon and Myself for the Sigs!!
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 17, 2011 11:24am | Report
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 17, 2011 11:28am | Report
Lighting OP ^_^
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 17, 2011 12:32pm | Report
@JEFFY lol :D

JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 17, 2011 1:03pm | Report
I need to get topaz back but I'm not sure if it'll work with my...winrar'ed copy of PS.

Xiao your sigs are always so gorgeous. I'm trying to get more consistent but ***** ROUGH..@_@

You keep up the good work and I'll keep playing "catch-up" ^_^
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 17, 2011 1:49pm | Report
Thanks ^_^

Topaz should work. And what is rough - maybe I can help? :o

No need to play catch up! We all are 'graphics artists' here.
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 17, 2011 2:02pm | Report
Mainly my ability to approach an image and come up with something visually appealing. Sometimes I fall short, I like the piece but want it to be better in some way.

Often times I attribute this situation to the lack of aquiring or making a good render. I use planetrenders a lot, but at times people give me an image that isn't up there, so I either work with the image un rendered (which isn't terrible). OR I make a render.

If you look at my shop you'll see my more current works. I've started attempting to apply lighting to an image, it's hit or miss, I've also been using clipping masks and screwing around with the "Liquify" filter to work with the fractals from the pack you gave out.

But, overall I lack consistency. It's primarily my own fault because I often attack each signature with a different battery of effects. I've gotten down a few steps which I use for each piece, but then I over complicate things.

Overall every one of your sigs has what I can only describe as a "movie like" finish. It's subtle, and I'm not even sure you're actually treating the image all that much beyond applying the occassional gradient layer and or sharpness filter.

As well I still have trouble with text, but that's mainly due to my own impatience and short time experience with graphic editing in general.

I just really like your work, and want to achieve the level of quality you seem to pull off almost effortlessly. ^_^
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 17, 2011 2:45pm | Report
I know the feeling of falling short within a piece, numerous times the visual image i have of the finished product is always better than the finished product itself. But to answer your first problem in approaching an image and coming up with something is fairly an easy problem to solve. The main thing you want to do when given an image, or render is to actually digest what is happening. By this I mean:
a) Flow of the image
b) Theme (Annie for example has a sort of fire theme going)
This much more criteria to digest but these are the main two. Once you can understand these two important factors; its all up hill from then on.

For me, I rarely use renders - why? Well, its because i have to then create or find a nice fitting background, as already stated the theme plays a large part here. However, I honestly believe using renders requires slightly more imagination as usually for my pieces i keep the background, so most of what i should be doing is already done. Furthermore, if you re-check (or check if you havn't already) my resources there are numerous render sites so if the image isn't on planetrenders you have other sources to find it. If you still can't find it either contact the requestee or render yourself, or simply keep the background ^_^.

Looking at your recent works, I can see you've successfully learnt the clipping mask technique, however, the lighting (as you're trying to attempt) is lacking, and it is a hit and miss in some areas. The text also needs a bit of an adjustment, but don't work about text at the moment (I hate doing text, takes me ages!! I mean an average signature takes me 10minutes, and i'm definitely spending 5~6minutes doing the text). In addition, i wouldn't recommend screwing around with most of the filters, they're messy, unpredictable and sometimes doesn't give on any desired effect. Clipping masks also only work on certain degree on images, as I've expressed when planning the final product, visually, you'll be also planning on the approach to take whether: splatter, sprite, clipping mask etc.

Consistency is also something i don't lack, there's numerous works i'm not happy with, or have looked over and thought "wow, that's not very good"... the best thing to do to help in consistency is to post here, grab some cnc, or cnc yourself. numerous times I've uploaded an image and looked at it for 2~3minutes and noticed many mishaps and things I don't like. Also, with practice comes consistency, i've been on and off graphics for ages and I've always been praised for my imagination and creativity in my Art classes (nothing to do with graphics, i'm actually [/insert brag] better at painting and drawing than graphics)

I wouldn't worry about attacking each signature with different effects, look at my signatures for example, I started off repeating the same technique - why? to perfect it. Then after a while i try new effects, new styles... I've always said: experiment.

Ha, I'm thankful you think my signatures have a movie like finish, but truthfully, this movie like finish doesn't take a lot of effort. I've tried my best to describe how I accomplish such a feat within my tutorials but it usually doesn't digest well because (yes you guessed it) I suck at tutorial making. Also some of my signatures do require the occasional gradient layer / sharpness filter but that's not what i "just" do. Let me briefly describe the steps i take with my recent signature:

Step 1: Visualizing final image
As you can see i have Annie, and as expressed the two important criteria to helping visualize final image is the flow and theme. So with this particular render, i'm thinking of a fire theme, something orange~yellow, with hints of red and pink. Secondly the flow - as you can identify Annie is 'pointing' towards our top left of the canvas and is in a position of that the flow nicely grants a North-west approach as seen below:

Step 2: Adjustments
Some renders, or images need adjustments, whether it'll be the color, sharpness etc. Now for my Annie, i thought (after putting a little background on) that her outfit was just a little too 'red' so i highlighting the areas i wanted to change, by this i got the lasso tool and picked parts of her outfit out and then went on to hue and saturation and adjusted the color. As you can see below, the difference is minimal but small things make, in some cases big impacts.

Step 3: Effects
I then started adding the effects in, this can be brushes, fractals, c4d's etc. For my Annie signature i already have ready some fire themed' fractals and c4d's so i placed them in, altered the layer properties such as setting it to 'light' or 'linear dodge' and then maneuvered it in a place that it looked 'right'. now this time of maneuver can take some artistic, and creative visualization. however it's not that hard, really.

Step 4: The Finish
After all the effects, tiny adjustments i then start to think off how i'm going to make it stand out just a bit more, i usually do the same 'finish' on all my signatures. This is a few gradient overlays at soft light/Hue at about 25% opacity and 50% fill. I then highlight on the parts i want the focal point of my audience to be drawn to (mainly the render) and sharpen it, only by a bit. To do this start a new layer, apply the image and then highlight, filter>sharpen and then tune the opacity of the layer down to what looks best, usually i do around 25~60%. Finally after all the little adjustments i add the text and border and zing! finished :D
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 17, 2011 3:03pm | Report
Very simple indeed.

I've used your resource thread a lot recently in composing a few signatures using different styles. I also had to create several tutorials for my web design class final project (a 5 page website) so I can NOW relate to the complications and difficulties in writing a tutorial.

I'll look through your resource thread again and find more stuff to use. I'll whip something up for you to CnC. I understand if you're busy so whenevr you get to it.

The liquify filter is a lot of fun depending on the signature. But it can get a bit messy. I appreciate you taking time to respond.

I recently just finished finals so I'm free XD.

(I'm not much of a traditional artist. I wish I was but graphic design is what I'm really interested in...even if I'm not amazing at it XD)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide