Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Maokai, Is he UP?

Creator: Dremu February 20, 2011 7:53am
1 2
Atheb
<Member>
Atheb's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 21, 2011 1:52am | Report
DEWO wrote:

i TOTALY do not agree that he is a ****py tank.

So far played enaugh games to get a feeling of this champ.

I played Tank, AP/Tank, AP.

For what i noticed atm is that he is accualy one of the best tanks ingame for full premade teams, but he is very bad tank for solo que fights.

Why i do think so... well his ultimate... at 1st you might say that it is quite bad but take a notice.
It gives FLAT 20% to ANYONE that stands in it.
This means your whole team transform into tanks. This % based reduction cannot be "penetrated" by anything like ArP/Mpen either flat or % based since it is not Armor or Magic Res. It is flat reduction!

Good positioning of this ultimate is a matter of win or loose, and for that you need to have a team that coops quite efficiently.

Ofc he doesnt have other tanking abilities but that is covered by superior CC ability. Root, stun every 3-4 sec. And that staying power thx to passive.

Totaly not UP.

so you got best results playing him full tank?
i think so too but i got best results when there was another tank and i could play supportive with ult and CC. initiating and taking all the dmg just didnt work so well but i have to say i didnt play premade.

i think his supportive role is great but he isnt so good in initiating / taking alot of dmg. maybe thats just my feeling.

atm i think lvling up his ulti is quite strange. 20%shield stays the same. dmg becomes more (not soo importent) but most of all manacost increases. so if you play tank7support its maybe best to leave ult at rank 1 and put last 2 points from lvl 17, 18 in it.

i think he needs a little survivability buff to become a full tank.
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 21, 2011 4:45am | Report
I just made my 2 ideas for this moment avaible in my ideas builds. One as an AP/offtank and one as full tank.

Cant say "best results with full tank" since best scores are made on AP build, but the games were way easier on full tank full premade.

So most satisfying games are with full tank with full premade.

Most fun and biggest scores are done with AP/off-Tank setup.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Desseus
<Member>
Desseus's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2011 12:38am | Report
Took a look at the tanking Maokai build you have recently done Dewo and it is similar to mine in some ways (which I like :P) just wanted to know your opinion on the amount of health in your build. Mine usually at end game caps out at about 3400 and I feel that that when combined with the ulti is enough for solid team fights on yours though it seems you will not be able to reach that high unless an item is changed in the sequence, Am I using too much health to get the job done? also would like to know the ideas behind leveling Arcane Smash last. Thanks.
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2011 2:10am | Report
The idea of this tank build is based on getting HP early game (via Sunfire and Banshee), from those 2 items you have a sold base and balance between HP/Mr/Ar. I noticed that ppl tend to ignore you in fights since his damage output is not that high, you are kind of CCing tank.

It might be a good idea to swap GA for Warmog if you tend to get focused too much.

You can even swap for Warmog->GA/Thorn/Force->Scepter.

I am also thinking about Nashor's Tooth. CDR+AS might be good combo for teamfights to get more procs of your passive while spells are flying all around. AP bonus to get you deal more damage is also a good thing.

Smash is the weakest spell.
Short range and via lvling you only get better slow. The thing that realy matters on that skill is stun and the stun duration does not change while lvling. While E gives more damage and W gives longer root duration. For early game harras and exp denying E is perfect for lvling. It also boosts your farming ability which isnt that good.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Desseus
<Member>
Desseus's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2011 5:15am | Report
right makes more sense now.

I personally prefer Rod of Ages over Warmog on Maokai just for the extra AP and Mana which come in handy during team fights all because of the Vengeful Maelstrom costing 40 Mana per second, not to mention less downtime out of lanes and when you add a frozen heart I usually end up on 2300 Mana. More than enough for a lengthy team fight. The downside to this is of course the extra health of Warmog and health regen. Again personal preference :P

Nashor's Tooth, its certainly worth exploring would be a fantastic item to have healing quicker with passive and lowering the CDs on abilities. Will have to try it out sometime.

At least these are my ideas/opinion not sure if they are any good, if my build is anything to go by then no lol.
Dremu
<Member>
Dremu's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2011 5:52pm | Report
I use warmogs in my build for the health, His passive needs the health because you'll heal more, but it kind of cancels itself out, 7% of max health meaning more health more health gain, but it basically means you'll be staying up the same amount of time with that health gain as in it gives the same % of health no matter what, Personally I think it should give you 1% health gain per 400 health or something ya know? :/

btw for those who were nagging me about my Maokai build having more info, It has a bunch of info in it now, I made a "Gameplay" section so no more complaints :D It's basically finished I guess, Still screwin with items.
3picPanda
<Member>
3picPanda's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2011 6:59pm | Report
He is a great tank IN combination with a great team. He's of these good tanks for ranked, still not sure if I must play him as a full tank or ap/tankish
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2011 7:42pm | Report
He's a specific sort of tank. Building around him with complimentary characters is important for his success. IMO, anyways. That being said I believe he isn't too strong at all :P

Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 25, 2011 12:37am | Report
I actually find Maokai quite OP... I have seen some really tough maok's.... Malphite + maokai is just a laugh (so op D:)
Dremu
<Member>
Dremu's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 25, 2011 4:27am | Report
I'ma work on maokai some more, get beasty with him, Was playing as malph all day yesterday, Found out my guide is pretty efficient for malph, Was going like 13/1/17 every day of course there were differences but I always was pos and we only lost 1 game and that was the last one we played (Katarina was godlike and fed :( ) But one game a rammus got fed and thought he was pro and talked **** so i just rocked his world over and over and i was like "Who's good now? I wasn't even fed foo!" :P so trololll, And yeah Maokai though I'ma work on maybe I'm just not as good with him as I am with other champs :o
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide