Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Maokai, Is he UP?

Creator: Dremu February 20, 2011 7:53am
1 2
Dremu
<Member>
Dremu's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 20, 2011 7:53am | Report
Alright, I have a maokai guide, And from what I've been playing he's a AP support tank right? Wrong. He cannot be a tank there is no way, The more I play the more I realize how squishy he is, If he is a tank then he's a very underpowered one, I mean really? He has like no starter stats, Maybe they just haven't fixed him yet (not finished), But I think i'm gonna fix my guide to make him no longer the "Support Tank" I called him, He is unworthy now, I've decided he's to weak for tanking. DPS is another thing, His saplings do some damage with good AP, and his Ulti is kindof annoying to get used to, But all in all, they need to BUFF him now!
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 20, 2011 9:03am | Report
yeah. sure its annoying but its better than releasing a chacter thats op and then have to nerf in less than a day.

ap maokai is a blast. those ****ing saplings eat up anything that moves. i was once playing and there was an ashe in my lane, i had 0 cdr (messed up masteries before hand and no runes) and hit her 3 times with a sapling before she moved. (which is like 30 seconds)

i continued to harass the **** out of her and her lane partner poppy.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Dremu
<Member>
Dremu's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 20, 2011 9:10am | Report
Hah nice, Yeah i'ma edit my guide here soon to make it an AP maokai, Non tanking but still some health items of course so that he can survive and heal more with his passive. + some magic resist I suppose. Hopefully it works out, If the server was up i'd test it but ya lol
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 20, 2011 9:15am | Report
i'd think it'd be better to make a new guide instead of editing. after all the scores you have now are for your tankai build. magekai is totally different :P

on that magekai i did
Sorcerer's Shoes
2 Rabadon's Deathcap
Sunfire Aegis
Morello's Evil Tome
Zhonya's Hourglass

was thinking about getting an abyssal scepter instead of the second deathcap but i changed my mind.

if you max e asap by level 4 it clears caster minions if it hits on both damage.

its also good to mention that if they get hit by both damage on e then its like the full ap ratio. (.4 initial and then .6 on the suicide)
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Dremu
<Member>
Dremu's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 20, 2011 9:25am | Report
I'm a bit lazy, I put atleast 2 hours into that maokai guide (Items is my most hated part takes longest lol) but I try, I may end up doing so later on if I don't make a trundle guide very soon. Which Trundle seems like it'd be a fun one to make :], But who knows I'll decide soon enough.

As long as I can take the names from you "Tankai and Magekai" for each build, they are just amazing combination names lol
Jet
<Member>
Jet's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 20, 2011 9:27am | Report
he's fine the way he is, honestly

you can build him with sunfire, frozen heart and zhonya's hourglass and literally rape face, solo or by harassing the team or rooting them until your team come. he's getting a little popular now in my elo, seen him for about 6 games and all 6 games they built him as a tank, outfarmed solo top and made it impossible to counter the enemy team at baron thanks to saplings + ultimate.
Jet has been banned for trolling and blatant racism.
Dremu
<Member>
Dremu's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 20, 2011 9:30am | Report

Watch this, It's got nothing to do with maokai in particular but the jungling part is quite funny, What if Maokai soloed mid and tossed his sapling the way Veigar uses his meteor? It'd be awesome! lol
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 21, 2011 12:36am | Report
i TOTALY do not agree that he is a ****py tank.

So far played enaugh games to get a feeling of this champ.

I played Tank, AP/Tank, AP.

For what i noticed atm is that he is accualy one of the best tanks ingame for full premade teams, but he is very bad tank for solo que fights.

Why i do think so... well his ultimate... at 1st you might say that it is quite bad but take a notice.
It gives FLAT 20% to ANYONE that stands in it.
This means your whole team transform into tanks. This % based reduction cannot be "penetrated" by anything like ArP/Mpen either flat or % based since it is not Armor or Magic Res. It is flat reduction!

Good positioning of this ultimate is a matter of win or loose, and for that you need to have a team that coops quite efficiently.

Ofc he doesnt have other tanking abilities but that is covered by superior CC ability. Root, stun every 3-4 sec. And that staying power thx to passive.

Totaly not UP.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Vaan99
<Member>
Vaan99's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 21, 2011 1:25am | Report
He needs skill to be played; noobs tell he's UP...
I've seen only 2-3 good Maokai's so far, he has high skill cap.
Desseus
<Member>
Desseus's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 21, 2011 1:47am | Report
I'm sorry but he is a great tank in my humble opinion with the correct items, ok sure going more of an AP/Support build will be more damaging and get a lot more kills with saplings but when you initiate a team fight and use his ultimate he can just destroy some team setups provided your team can work together and position themselves accordingly.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide