Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Shen Item Build?

Creator: Aeacus11 April 4, 2011 5:58pm
1 2
Aeacus11
<Member>
Aeacus11's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 4, 2011 5:58pm | Report
Been posting a lot lately, sorry about all these! Just started playing Shen, read a few guides, but didn't see any consensus about what items to get for him. Could anyone post their basic item build for shen? Thanks
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 4, 2011 6:26pm | Report
Merc Treads, Aegis, and Heart of Gold into Randuin's Omen are pretty much staples on him. Then you branch out based on their team comp.

I recommend you read this.
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 5, 2011 2:03am | Report
i go with:
Tabi or Merc
Sunfire (For farming)
Warmog (for hp regen and passive)
Force of Nature or Thornmail
Guardian Angel or Force of nature or Thornmail (depends on the team)
Offensive item (Abysal/Rylai/Atma)
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
tinolas
<Member>
tinolas's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 5, 2011 8:56am | Report
The 'problem' with Shen is that he has no core build imo. It's one of his strenghts that he's quite flexible. However my first three items tend to be the same.

Doran's Shield > Mercury's Treads > Heart of Gold

The rest is entirely situational, Banshee's Veil and Randuin's Omen are the most common choices though. However I tend to grab Abyssal Scepter and Rylai's Crystal Scepter a lot if I need more damage or if I got fed. Rushing Aegis is also a fine choice but it's situational imo (actually did rush it a lot, just no must have).

Well, my complete build is in the description.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 5, 2011 9:22am | Report
His core build is Doran's Shield, Mercury's Treads, and Heart of Gold.

Randuin's Omen is a staple tank item. Health, Armor, mitigates attacks, and AoE slows enemies on demand.

The rest is situational.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Aeacus11
<Member>
Aeacus11's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 5, 2011 9:54am | Report
Hey guys, have started to play as Shen in every game, and I have some questions for those of you that play him:

1. In games I think I really dominate, my stats are typically something like 2-3/3-4/10-15-20. Does that look about right for a shen?

2. I am having two big problems: a) dying early, and b)farming.

a) Shen seems so worthless early game. Anyone with range seems to just pick him off endlessly. I typically die 3-4 times early/mid game, and still end up being useful to my team, but I would love to cut down on early deaths. Any tips?

b) I literally have like 30-50 minion kills at the end of the game. Am i missing something? I hardly ever have very much gold to buy stuff. Any tips for how to farm better as Shen? Thanks!!
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 5, 2011 10:24am | Report
Question.. why dont people build laviathan on shen?
tinolas
<Member>
tinolas's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 5, 2011 10:52am | Report
@Dante Rebellion:
Why rely on a stacking item if you are supposed to take damage? It's not like you won't ever die as Shen. Might be good for stomping though. I don't like the risk on a tank.

@Aecus11:

1. It does. Probably the same with any other tank. Btw, stats don't win the game.

2. To begin with I max Vorpal Blade first, taking one point into Feint and Shadow Dash until Lvl 5. Obviously take Stand United whenever possible. Th order wether you put more points into Shadow Dash or Feint is situational. They're both very useful, although I wouldn't get more than 3 points into it because Shadow Dash is just more useful for your team.

For the laning phase don't autoattack and don't push your lane but try to lasthit to get more gold and stay safer. You can lasthit with Vorpal Blade, Ki Strike and your auto attack.
Try to play safely, don't overextend. You can keep yourself alive with defensive runes and masteries, Doran's Shield and your playstyle. Try to dodge their skillshots and/or hide behind your minions if they have some. If you're about to take damage, consider to use Feint to block some. You can regen quite some health with Vorpal Blade as well. Don't forget that you can put pressure on them with Vorpal Blade, don't overextend though.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 5, 2011 2:02pm | Report
Aeacus11 wrote:

Hey guys, have started to play as Shen in every game, and I have some questions for those of you that play him:

1. In games I think I really dominate, my stats are typically something like 2-3/3-4/10-15-20. Does that look about right for a shen?

2. I am having two big problems: a) dying early, and b)farming.

a) Shen seems so worthless early game. Anyone with range seems to just pick him off endlessly. I typically die 3-4 times early/mid game, and still end up being useful to my team, but I would love to cut down on early deaths. Any tips?

b) I literally have like 30-50 minion kills at the end of the game. Am i missing something? I hardly ever have very much gold to buy stuff. Any tips for how to farm better as Shen? Thanks!!

Always consider Assists to be worth 0.6 of a kill. Your score will always look fine then.

Laning:
Use Vorpal blade, and avoid harass.
I lane just fine as Shen. It may seem like the life-tap is insignificant, but it's really amazing for keeping you alive. It makes Shen an amazingly balanced laner.
Q + Attack for last-hits, back off, repeat.

Harass:
Go into a brush, wait for the enemy like a Garen.
Initiate any harass on enemies with vorpal + ki strike, then run into a brush to avoid retaliation. You grab soe HP, and take minimal damage.

Farming:
I've been having this problem since playing Coop. Killing bots makes me forget about farming.
Just always make time to visit a jungle camp, or go to a lane to clean it up.

My best game, I have 2nd most creep score, and was alwasy focused on pushing and ult-rescues to always stay in fights.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Booshido
<Member>
Booshido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 5, 2011 5:47pm | Report
hog hog mercs giants belt fon sunfire randuin banshee warmog
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide