Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Starting Ancient Coin in toplane 5v5

Creator: Princemild February 3, 2014 5:36am
Princemild
<Member>
Princemild's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 5:36am | Report
Hi

I'm new to this forum, but not new to reading all the guides and builds. In the "old" days it would be normal for the toplaners like Irelia/Nasus/Poppy to start with a money gen item with health/mana regen. I never see this anymore. Would it be so bad to start of toplane with Irelia with a Ancient coin? Then I get health/mana and gold. I assume Ancient coin generate gold for me when my opponent kills minions. Tell me if it's terrible.
emoriam
<Veteran>
emoriam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 6:00am | Report
The gold generation would be fine but overall it doesn't help you when it comes to trading. For top laners just go for Doran's Shield or rarely Doran's Blade.

R.I.P Heart of Gold q.q
Thanks to Natuhlee for this sig!
Jpikachu1999
<Member>
Jpikachu1999's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 9:28am | Report
Ancient Coin isn't good because it only works when your team's minions die. So basically, only if you are bad at CS'ing. Since you should be trying to kill as many minions as possible, you shouldn't intentionally build an item for playing badly.

Relic Shield is useless if you don't have a lane partner.

Spellthief's Edge is pretty bad because its passive is disabled for 10 seconds every time you kill a minion. Since you are trying to get as many minions as possible, this item is useless.

As a top laner, you don't benefit from the upgraded forms ( Face of the Mountain, Frost Queen's Claim, you could argue Talisman of Ascension), so you don't really want to upgrade the base items. Doran's Shield or Doran's Blade provide better dueling stats, and are much more cost efficient than the other items.

Basically, it doesn't work anymore. The only reason it used to work was that Philosopher's Stone and Heart of Gold actually provided decent stats on top of gold generation.

If I helped you, click that +rep!
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 9:30am | Report
Please just don't.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 9:44am | Report
Ancient Coin is probably the only one which is cost efficient on the condition you keep it and upgrade it later in the game. The only reason it isn't taken is because talisman of ascension isn't as useful as the old Shurelya's Battlesong used to be statwise. The sustain of Talisman later in the game isn't that useful later in the game, particularly for top laners. The CDR is nice, but there are better all around items to get for top laners like Spirit Visage.

I was examining Frost Queen's Claim not too long ago, but I'm not really convinced it's worth getting, because it seems to be low-cost, low-moderate return. With the money you could probably purchase something else with better stats.
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 10:19am | Report
Face of the Mountain is an okay item pick up later in the game because the shield is pretty good for a top laner, but starting with the item is bad.

Jack Rubino
<Member>
Jack Rubino's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 10:22am | Report
Gangplank says "k" about Ancient Coin :D
"Follow no false light."
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2014 10:40am | Report
Gangplank is a noob.
I AM NOT AFFECTED BY ELOHELL. NOOBS AND TROLLS NEVER RUIN MY RANKED GAMES.
I DON'T GET STUCK AND I NEVER GET ONLY 2LP FOR A WIN.

I AM UNRANKED.

also check out my Ryze guide
dragon00bicus
<Member>
dragon00bicus's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2014 7:23am | Report
I'd get Blade over Coin on solotop Gangplank, besides, he already gives his allies MS & AD boost, his passive already slows the enemy. All he lacks are shields and heals which is provided with Face of the Mountain.

I play him as support, so yeah, sue me.

Gold II, somebody's something.
MugyvrNinja
<Member>
MugyvrNinja's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2014 10:58am | Report
I like the Idea of starting with gold income items i do it as well along with my GP10 rune pages its really fun and a good challenge overall Ancient Coin isn't my thing because it don't start generating gold until you upgrade it to the Medallion. I like to start of with spellthief's edge then when i accumulate approximately 1200 gold I will go back and invest on Avarice Blade and upgrade to Frostfang, the gold income is insane especially if you are good at farming. You can then later sell your gp10 items later in the game and get even more gold.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide