Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Possible new way of assessing contributions

Creator: AlephZer0 November 12, 2015 7:14pm
AlephZer0
<Member>
AlephZer0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2015 7:14pm | Report
Disclaimer: I am not an expert at league, I'm just good at math
I was thinking about the whole KDA ratio thing, and one thing that stuck out to me was that the level of contribution to each kill/assist can vary. I can jump in to steal a last hit, for example, and I will get a kill regardless of my level of contribution. But what if I were to measure the number of kills over many matches? It will probably be a better approximation of contribution. Essentially, this is what I have in mind:
(Complex math nerd-out warning)
Say my team in match 1 has K kills. That is always equal to my kills, plus teammate 1's kills, plus teammate 2's kills, etc I.e. K=k1(me)+k2+...+kn. (n is the number of team members)
If I were to do an equation like that for every team in every match, I would have a solvable system of equations that will yield the average kill contribution for every player on a server. With computer algebra getting very advanced, I would say it's possible to implement this system but it would be rather slow at first till some fine-tuning got done. Also, the numbers won't work out immediately; since the number of equations has to equal the number of unknowns, there would have to be a lot of matches played before there will be any outputs.
Note: this can also be used for deaths, then the 2 numbers can be divided to get a number similar to KDA
Thoughts anyone?
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2015 11:50pm | Report
So you're trying to calculate everyone's Kill Participation%? I'm not sure if it would help anyone though. I play a lot of support, so naturally my amount of average kills is going to be lower than say my mid laner or my marksman.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
Vengenator
<Fabulous>
Vengenator's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2015 7:03pm | Report
If you watch worlds you can see that teams try to funnel the kills to their carries whenever possible. Does that mean the support or the tank has any less contribution than the adc or midlaner?

Of course this is quite and exclusive example but it does dispute this "contribution" system. Janna can turn the tide of battle with a Howling Gale that cancels a Lee Sin q, or a Monsoon that saves the adc long enough to ace their team.
Spare a few Rep+ for the poor ( つ◕◡◕)つ

Check out my Brand guide linked in my signature
Also check out my Malzahar Guide,Consumed by the Void
AlephZer0
<Member>
AlephZer0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 11:46am | Report
That's true.
Well, what if I were to add objectives like Barons and Towers to this number?
In that case, we get something that's harder to measure, which is the player's average contribution to objectives.
Also, the whole point of doing it this way rather than adding up a player's own KDA is just that: if I play a game as support and my team gets a lot of kills, my contribution average will still go up, which makes sense as it requires a good support to stay alive in teamfights and get kills.
Of course this means that the players' averages could be skewed if they played only a couple matches with strong players (or weak ones for that matter); this is why you still divide by the number of deaths to get a better number.
Vengenator
<Fabulous>
Vengenator's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 11:55am | Report

Well assuming we're trying to measure contribution to the game itself, we would have to factor in many variables to encompass the wide array of strategies available to the players.

Anything that gives a team advantage should be considered contribution

General:
-Damage dealt
-How much cc time given
-Peeling for carry
-Warding
-Sweeping
-Baiting

For junglers:
-Counterjungling
-Taking baron/dragon
-Rift Scuttler

For supports:
-Shields/Heals
-Warding
-Scouting

For assassins:
-Carries removed from teamfights

For splitpushers:
-Tower taken
-Pressure applied (taking people away from teamfights to stop splitpushing)

For tank:
-Damage taken

There's too many variables that contribute to the game, and on top of having to apply all of them, you'd have to weigh them and consider which aspects are worth more than others.

TLDR: I think the win/loss ratio is best measure of player skill
Spare a few Rep+ for the poor ( つ◕◡◕)つ

Check out my Brand guide linked in my signature
Also check out my Malzahar Guide,Consumed by the Void

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide