Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

All the fire themed skins....

Creator: kin333x July 13, 2012 11:42am
1 2 3
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 15, 2012 2:22pm | Report
phreak said they do spotlights when

a) new champion
b) champion gets a rework
c) theres going to be an influx of players playing said champion (pulsefire ez)
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
BluAnimal
<Member>
BluAnimal's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 15, 2012 2:25pm | Report
Did Jax ever get a spot light after the dodge rework? I think they did, too lazy to check. Yes I'm a scumbag
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 15, 2012 3:06pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

For one, a lot of Riot's development projects aren't handled by the same group of people. Delaying champion releases generally won't get anything else done faster.

Also, I think champion releases are a thousand times more important than champion spotlights. New skins and champions generate the majority of Riot's revenue. They're also what keep a lot of people interested in the game. Spotlights are comparatively unimportant.

Though of course it would be nice to see some updated spotlights.

To Add:

Riot has multiple champion development teams. It's very possible that the last 3 champs were all made by different teams. This formula allows Riot to produce champions on a regular basis without exhausting their work force.

Riot also has teams dedicated to revamping old champs/discovering new mechanics (or innovating on past ones)/developing new items/maps etc. This process is what allows Riot to keep a regular set of new content coming every 1-3 weeks (sometimes longer). Other games, like WoW/Rift etc. Have SIMILAR processes but more often they're dedicated to class balance and items. Raid content is prepped and nearly 100% ready before the expansion is even dropped, then released accordingly.

As well because WoW is currently not F2P, they have little to no incentive to produce new content on a regular basis. Their player base is already required to pay a fee each month/6 months/year for content. This means that players have less say in what they want to see. Logically you'd assume that they would have MORE because they HAVE to pay. But business wise, Blizzard is offering a product that fans will have to pay for regardless if they like it or not. If they don't like it, then they stop subscribing, but Blizzard factors in a +/- scale. More often then not, them "pooping" out content as they see fit generates positive cash flow, the buyer has no real say in the process.

OTOH Riot utilizes micro-transactions: The formula that you don't need to pay for anything if you don't want to, but can if you do. This process means they can charge their customers more for content (Up to 50 USD for RP). But at the same time, they offer smaller increments. Although you'd assume this model can work similarly to Blizzard's it doesn't. With micro-transactions the player has more say in what they want to see. No player at any one time is wholly locked into paying any amount of money, therefore it is in Riot's best interest to satisfy their player base with new exciting content as often as possible. A big chunk of Riot's money comes from the micro-transactions.

In Summary:
IDK where I was going with this anymore
Berzerk
<Member>
Berzerk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 15, 2012 3:47pm | Report
BluAnimal wrote:

Did Jax ever get a spot light after the dodge rework? I think they did, too lazy to check. Yes I'm a scumbag

He did, not since his Ult change from offense to defense though.

Check out my complete guide to top lane here.
Check out my Jayce guide here.
MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 15, 2012 6:39pm | Report
Really what is happening is RIOT is subliminally telling us of their secret plans to nuke the planet. I find that much more likely than them releasing the magma chamber map.

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide