Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

AP/AD/Hybrid lists advice/tips/help?

Creator: RinaNichole October 16, 2014 9:56am
1 2
RinaNichole
<Member>
RinaNichole's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2014 9:56am | Report
I'm trying to compile a list of all AD, AP, and Hybrid damage champs. However, having only played about a month, it's not going easy for me, and I wanted to ask a few things of more experienced players.

I was looking on the League wiki, which has the stat numbers from the official Riot champ pages, but I noticed something that threw me off. You'd think that a rating over 5 as an average would mean they were good in that specific set of damage. However, I've done a lot of playing as Shyvana, and I know she does hybrid damage, but her AP is under 5. It's a 4. Granted, that's close, but I don't know where the boundary is to consider them "mastered" in a certain (or both) type of damage.

I've looked elsewhere for lists, and none seem to be reliable. I want to make my own, and maybe eventually post it in a build guide somewhere to help with new players and their item building according to opponent - which is why I'm making the list for myself anyway. If I do make a guide, any genuine help here will be credited.

Basically, the short of it is: (TL;DR section)
As far as their rating number goes for AD and AP, what makes them either AD, AP, or Hybrid damage?
Vorcia
<Member>
Vorcia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2014 3:25pm | Report
It's listed like that because of playstyle. No one builds any AP on Shyvana and no one plays here like a conventional AP champion, so she's listed as primarily AD. A full list of Hybrid champs would be

Alistar (TF build)
Akali
Cho (Zephyr build)
Corki
Eve
Gangplank
Jax
Kog'maw
Poppy
Nidalee (Not really hybrid but can go either way)
Rammus
Mundo (Both are mainly tanks with magic damage but have huge AD steroids)
Shen
Shyvana
Teemo (Really depends)
Tristana (Not really hybrid but can go either way)
Udyr (Depends on what he's maxing)
Warwick
Yorick (Depends on what he does)
Volibear
RinaNichole
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2014 5:34pm | Report
Yeah, that makes much more sense. I guess all I really needed were the hybrid champs, then I can figure out the rest based on stats. Thanks!
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2014 3:28am | Report
Not to rain on your parade, but that list hardly contains any "hybrid" champs.

Half can only be built with either AD or AP since the other way would be totally inefficient and only a fun build for Solo, and 3-4 can build one way or another but not hybrid (you forgot Ezreal).

Only Akali/Poppy might be called hybrid since they can make use of Hextech Gunblade for example, both mainly deal magic dmg though

Hybrid isn't common in LoL since it got huge balancing issues. The only really functioning hybrid champs were those who were op and got reworked/nerfed because of that.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2014 4:09am | Report
How is Kayle not on that list, specially now that most people just goes AS Kayle
Thank you Byron for 2014's loudest laugh up till today
FantasySniper
<Member>
FantasySniper's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2014 1:12pm | Report
Darcurse wrote:
Not to rain on your parade, but that list hardly contains any "hybrid" champs.

Half can only be built with either AD or AP since the other way would be totally inefficient and only a fun build for Solo, and 3-4 can build one way or another but not hybrid (you forgot Ezreal).

Only Akali/Poppy might be called hybrid since they can make use of Hextech Gunblade for example, both mainly deal magic dmg though

Hybrid isn't common in LoL since it got huge balancing issues. The only really functioning hybrid champs were those who were op and got reworked/nerfed because of that.

"Hybrid" in this game isn't really defined as "both", it's more "either". Building both AD and AP isn't really facilitated very well except on a few champions like Twisted Fate and Kayle. But we still have champions that can go either way and are pretty flexible with their builds because of it.
If you want to help me, teach me.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2014 3:58pm | Report
Yeah, AS+AP is better off called Hybrid in LoL since AD+AP hybrids don't really exist anymore and while Riot damns the latter for balancing reasons they kinda tried/try to support AS+AP playstyles whyever.

But calling a champ hybrid because he can build either AD or AP is missing the whole point of calling it hybrid. Hybrid is by definition mixing two things into another inseparable form.

Call them reversible or sth.
Vorcia
<Member>
Vorcia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2014 6:56pm | Report
Darcurse wrote:
Yeah, AS+AP is better off called Hybrid in LoL since AD+AP hybrids don't really exist anymore and while Riot damns the latter for balancing reasons they kinda tried/try to support AS+AP playstyles whyever.

But calling a champ hybrid because he can build either AD or AP is missing the whole point of calling it hybrid. Hybrid is by definition mixing two things into another inseparable form.

Call them reversible or sth.

I based my list off what the person needed, a list of champions by their Hybrid Damage, not necessarily building hybrid items. For that purpose, I chose to leave out Kayle because while she does play like a hybrid, she pretty much only does Magic Damage. Likewise, I included champs that commonly build to focus on either Physical or Magic Damage.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 19, 2014 5:32am | Report
Well, if you lable them that way it's alright i guess.

But why did you add champs like Rammus, Shen in there? Seeing that both are tanks with a full set of magic dmg spells, they posses as much AD potential as ans AP Caster. (Rammus got some passive AD, but that doesn't mean that he AAs like crazy to make it remarkable)

Akali for exmple has a nice low CD aoe burst in there that's why she's alrigth, but Poppy on the other hand even while Bruiser, deals a big part of her dmg (except for AA and TF) in magic?

Most of the other champs (Excluding someone like WW, Volibear for example) you mentioned are mainly AD/Bruiser and got 1 spell with magic dmg, which normally is there for balancing purpose.
It's ok, I guess, to say they have some early potential for magic dmg, but to call them "Hybrid" or "dealing hybrid dmg" for that sole reason is kinda over the top.
RinaNichole
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 19, 2014 7:44am | Report
Vorcia wrote:

I based my list off what the person needed, a list of champions by their Hybrid Damage, not necessarily building hybrid items. For that purpose, I chose to leave out Kayle because while she does play like a hybrid, she pretty much only does Magic Damage. Likewise, I included champs that commonly build to focus on either Physical or Magic Damage.

If you read all of what I said though, I mentioned wanting to make a list of AD/AP/Hybrid champs so I could know what items to build for myself based on opponent. I didn't want the numbers if they weren't reliable, that's just where I thought to look.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide