Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

AP/AD/Hybrid lists advice/tips/help?

Creator: RinaNichole October 16, 2014 9:56am
1 2
Chawoora
<Member>
Chawoora's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2014 6:20am | Report
I am curious what you see as the purpose of this list. You generally would not dramatically change your build path based on your lane opponent. You may want to change your build path based on your team composition (need more Magic damage) or lane selection (Tristana mid versus bot).

I also want to point out that there are two separate but related topics: Attack Damage/Ability Power and Physical Damage/Magic Damage (ignoring True Damage). For the most part, all champions auto attacks do Physical Damage and are based off their Attack Damage stats. Often abilities that scale off Attack Damage do Physical Damage and abilities that scale off Ability Power do Magic Damage, but...

Part of the fun of LoL is the complexity so most champions do not fit into a single list. Take Tristana for example. 3 of her abilities scale off AP and do Magic Damage. She can be built pure AP, but most people build her full AD/AS/Crit. Miss Fortune has abilities that scale off AP that do Physical Damage. Warwick’s basic attacks also so Magic Damage. Most people do not build any AP on Warwick, but often build items like Wit’s End and Sunfire Cape which both do Magic Damage. Dr. Mundo does a lot of magic damage, but most people build him heavy tank with very little AD or AP.

The vast majority of champions will do some mix of physical and magic damage. Akali is the only champion that I play where I build both AD and AP (not counting picking up a Trinity Force, and I guess I occasionally get a Manamune on Ryze if that counts..Ryze is an odd one that scales of Mana). There are a handful of champions that I play that do enough mixed damage that I use Hybrid Penetration Runes.

My advice is that understanding physical/magic/true damage, knowing how champions scale, getting a feeling for building AD/AP/Armor/Mag Resist/Armor Pen/Magic Pen/etc. items/runes/masteries on champs and understanding the types of damage that champions do are all a good things. Building a list of "hybrid" champions is not that useful.
RinaNichole
<Member>
RinaNichole's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2014 5:57am | Report
Chawoora wrote:
I am curious what you see as the purpose of this list. You generally would not dramatically change your build path based on your lane opponent.

I only got the idea, because a lot of the builds and guides, ect. that I've found (on here, no less) have sections that say for example "Against AP" or "Against AD". I figured it was something worth trying to compile a list. Especially if I shared said list with newbies and such as a starting point.

Eh, dunno. I'm weird that way. Picky and experimental. But what you're saying makes sense as well. Thanks.
Chawoora
<Member>
Chawoora's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2014 2:14pm | Report
Okay, that makes more sense...A list of champions and what type of damage they do (Physical/Magic/Mixed) so you know what defenses to prioritize. I do see people laning against Dr. Mundo or Warwick that build pure Armor without realizing they are taking a lot of Magic Damage. I often find myself switching over to the Wiki page during loading to look up info on unfamiliar champions. Having a single reference might be handy (against...Singed, Corki, Braum, Kha'Zix, Yasuo...what type of damage does that team do?)

You could expand your research into build items. For example, Sunfire Cape and Wit’s End do Magic Damage where Ravenous Hydra and Blade of the Ruined Kind do Physical Damage. How you would build against Teemo would depend a lot on what he is building.
RinaNichole
<Member>
RinaNichole's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2014 4:46pm | Report
Chawoora wrote:
I often find myself switching over to the Wiki page during loading to look up info on unfamiliar champions.

That's totally where this started. The wiki's number values for their AP and AD is confusing as anything, at least to me. Just because they have a 4 in AP and a 5 in AD, doesn't mean they do both and whatnot. That's how I got so lost in the first place.

Chawoora wrote:
You could expand your research into build items. For example, Sunfire Cape and Wit’s End do Magic Damage where Ravenous Hydra and Blade of the Ruined Kind do Physical Damage. How you would build against Teemo would depend a lot on what he is building.

I've been doing that as well. But, items are a little bit easier to tell than champions. Items clearly say "Hey, I do this" while champions and their base stats are wonky.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide