Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Board of Troll Minimization

Creator: VexRoth February 4, 2015 8:55am
1 2
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 4, 2015 8:55am | Report
After my games last night I'm kicking around ideas for ways to filter for trolls before I waste 20-45 minutes of my time.

Everyone has those games where they get 4 man ganked and die and lose their tower. That sort of thing is understandable.

Even the peeps that feed like crazy early can be forgiven if they pull it together and teamfight like beasts. Sometimes you end up in ****py match-ups and your jungler is busy elsewhere or curled up in the fetal position considering the implications of George's suicide.

But it would be lovely to have a way to differentiate those people from the the idiots that queue up as Nasus support and feed, obviously have no map awareness, or are always out of position, or are overaggressive to a fault and do not take direction to improve their play.

So my proposal would go something like this:

Ranked Team Builder Draft with Competence Metric

The buy-in for this mode is that you have to rate your teammates for competence at the end of the game.

Competent
Competent with Reservations
Incompetent

When building a team each person's competency rating in that position would be visible for all to see.

Besides the champion selected, the team leader and the random people joining the team can filter each other based on competence.

Something like this might also be applicable for soloqueue though the rating would be for general competence rather than position competence and rating after each match wouldn't be mandatory so YOLOqueue can retain some of its "charm" and simplicity, but people could blow queue without penalty if they end up with a joker with a really low competency rating.

Thoughts?
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 4, 2015 9:05am | Report
This filtering is already in process through ranked restriction, low priority queues, bans etc. Elo also just filters good players from the ones with bad map awareness, teamplay etc.

The whole idea of punishment is also allowing players to reform after their punishment is over, while your idea leaves no chance for reform. That is a very major problem with it as well.

Finally, it also means that if you're unluckily matched with some premades who for some reason decided to start hating on you, your rating suddenly drops even though you haven't done anything wrong. It also means players who cannot differentiate between an 'unlucky game' or just flat out 'bad player' will rate you terribly. It essentially enforces a meta because you'll be forced to play it or you'll get a bad rating.
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 4, 2015 11:19am | Report
If there was a system to develope I would even donate $200 just to make it happen as soon as possible.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 4, 2015 11:20am | Report
Vynertje wrote:
This filtering is already in process through ranked restriction, low priority queues, bans etc. Elo also just filters good players from the ones with bad map awareness, teamplay etc.

I know that Riot does have some systems in place to try and deal with this problem, but sometimes you wonder after a string of failures. XD

Vynertje wrote:

The whole idea of punishment is also allowing players to reform after their punishment is over, while your idea leaves no chance for reform. That is a very major problem with it as well.

Although not overtly expressed I was thinking that gaining competency points would be the method of showing reform.

E.g. I sucked at PvP when I first jumped from bots to PvP due to using XP boosts to quickly get to level 30. I started a new account and just played PvP so I would be more likely playing people at a similar skill level to myself and as I gained more skill the wins started coming to the point that I felt comfortable going back to my main account.

Vynertje wrote:

Finally, it also means that if you're unluckily matched with some premades who for some reason decided to start hating on you, your rating suddenly drops even though you haven't done anything wrong. It also means players who cannot differentiate between an 'unlucky game' or just flat out 'bad player' will rate you terribly. It essentially enforces a meta because you'll be forced to play it or you'll get a bad rating.

That would suck and I'm not sure how to minimize the unfounded gang up bashing other than perhaps some sort of appeal system, which is an additional layer of complication. Also not for cementing the meta as something that must be otherwise I would likely get flamed for my occasional Gragas support.

Appreciate your thoughts, Vynertje. Thanks!
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 4, 2015 12:03pm | Report
And actually you are absolutely right. It is more about the wasted 20-45 mins than the lost game.
Vaan99
<Member>
Vaan99's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 5, 2015 3:23am | Report
You got trolled by premade and now you want to change whole matchmaking system? I have suggestin: Improve yourself and don't let incompetence of other players affect you, only constant in your games is you.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 5, 2015 6:47am | Report
Vaan99 wrote:
You got trolled by premade and now you want to change whole matchmaking system? I have suggestin: Improve yourself and don't let incompetence of other players affect you, only constant in your games is you.

The force is not strong in this one. :/
Ixtellor
<Member>
Ixtellor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 5, 2015 1:59pm | Report
I once requested something similar, but I called it Hardcore Ranked --- where X number of reports, or false reports, would be an automatic ban. Basically people have to actually accept responsibility for their actions.

During last season at one stretch I was a ridiculous number of games with a REAL troll. Not somebody breaking Meta or playing poorly, but people whose only intention was to throw/feed/. 0-17 NuNu top at 5 min mark. There were entire youtube channels dedicated to proving you can ruin games and never get punished. Hence, the idea isn't horrible IMHO.

As to the "get better and carry self" argument.
1)Some people have limited time to play, so carrying oneself past a legion of trolls, can take a long time. (This does not apply to me, I take responsibility for my rank)
2) If someone's 'real' skill level is Silver V, telling them they have to carry them selves past the trolls in Bronze 1 isn't a useful suggestion. Assuming the skill difference is marginal, I think its expecting too much of a person who just wants to the game and play with people of equal skill level.

Riot has ways of removing trolls and letting this players achieve a true rank, they just choose not to because of profits. Hence the reputation as the worst gaming community on Earth.
I used to care about KDA, now I care about CS and Objectives.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 5, 2015 2:22pm | Report
Ixtellor wrote:

During last season at one stretch I was a ridiculous number of games with a REAL troll. Not somebody breaking Meta or playing poorly, but people whose only intention was to throw/feed/. 0-17 NuNu top at 5 min mark. There were entire youtube channels dedicated to proving you can ruin games and never get punished. Hence, the idea isn't horrible IMHO.

That magic moment when you hear Executed and you look and see your jungler's corpse lying in front of Baron Nashor and as soon as he respawns he heads right back there.
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 6, 2015 1:27am | Report
Quote from a Teemo in my previous game who doesn't even have a single rune (I'm not talking about tier 3 runes I mean any!!) and was trying to throw the game:

"What are you worrying about it is only bronze! Who cares if you lose or win?!"

When I asked him to just go afk and we will not report him he went like:

"People like you make it impossible to have fun in this game"

Same thing happened in the game before when our premade bot showed up when it was already 13mins in the game: "We had to finish our dinner but it is only bronze so what are you *****in' about?"

Actually I've never thought there would be a time when I found myself sitting in Bronze V for more than 1 day. It's been over a week now and once I managed to get series to IV but just couldn't make it through.

Time to time I get to play with people on their smurf accounts and they all agree it is almost impossible to get out from hell.

"Get better and carry self" people, I really want to see how could you climb out from the hell division.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide