Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Climbing 2017

Creator: Ixtellor February 3, 2017 1:20pm
10 posts - page 1 of 1
Ixtellor
<Member>
Ixtellor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2017 1:20pm | Report
Is anyone else finding it harder to climb this season?
I easily got two accounts into gold (failed plat promo) and now I can't get out of silver 2.

It seems to me like its way harder to come back now. It also seems like champs are inflicting way more damage once they get ahead. I have had at least 5 games this season that ended before the 20 min mark which NEVER happened last season.
I have gone full tank and been insta killed in multiple games at the 15 min mark.

I kind of feel like I have way less impact over games now, that the team with the most winning lanes is going to win due to a massive snowbally feel. Win lane but others lose = lose, etc.

Very frustrated this season, now dominating in Silver like I used to. (I used to get away with trash troll builds and still win, now I'm playing my strongest champs with smart builds and losing).
I used to care about KDA, now I care about CS and Objectives.
White Cr0w
<Backstabber>
White Cr0w's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 4, 2017 7:39am | Report
Aloha :)

This is caused by two points:

1- The average skill has increased. As the seasons go by and the players remain the same, bronzes become better, silver players become better and diamond players become better.

On last season I went back to diamond in less than a week without much trouble. Now I'm on platinum and I'm having troubles (sometimes I died while thinking "wow, did he REALLY do that?"). Also my fault for underestimating my oponents, lol.

2- Early season. LoL's ladder is like a bottle filled with both oil and water. At the beginning of the season the bottle is just shaken, so everything is mixed. I'm finding master-skilled players on low platinum, and they are probably high elo players that got placed on Plat and are raising.

Wait for several weeks/months, and everything should go to normal when people reach their respective leagues, yet with an slight increase in people's average skill.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 4, 2017 10:42am | Report
White Cr0w wrote:
2- Early season. LoL's ladder is like a bottle filled with both oil and water. At the beginning of the season the bottle is just shaken, so everything is mixed. I'm finding master-skilled players on low platinum, and they are probably high elo players that got placed on Plat and are raising.

Wait for several weeks/months, and everything should go to normal when people reach their respective leagues, yet with an slight increase in people's average skill.
^This is probably the case.

I would add a couple more of factors, though:
3- The meta has changed and your favourite champions that were strong last season may not be so strong today. You might want to revise your build and playstyle with them, and you might have to drop one or two from your champion pool if you don't want their new playstyle and the old one is weak.

4- You might have been underestimating Silver because you used to dominate it. I doubt it's this factor alone but it could add up to the others. It happens to me all the time, I see I go against a silver/bronze player in lane so I goof around a bit more than normal. I guess I could say I'm not compelled to play my best against them, so it's kinda hard to go around it.

Also, you should answer a couple of important questions before asking yours:
Do you feel Silver players are playing better than last season? Do you feel YOU are playing better/on the same skill level than last season? Can you outsmart every move they make (or at least take a good deal when you can't possibly win a trade)? Can you see them having the same mechanical skill level overall? It's not trivial to answer these, since it's easy to focus on an enemy's/ally's mistakes and your own good plays while dismissing the rest as "exceptions".
Lasoor
<Member>
Lasoor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2017 10:34am | Report
The game changed a lot. Games last less time now, tanks are no longer as over powered. Seems to me like mid lane has been controlling most games with their insane burst damage, although Riot is nerfing jungle left and right thinking jungle determines who wins and loses.
Ixtellor
<Member>
Ixtellor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2017 12:19pm | Report
So,

1) There was a super 100+ post thread about this on the official league forums. Some 3 season platinum dude can't get out of silver. The thread seemed to mirror what was I was saying.

2) I played a lot of games over the past few days, and I feel like the players are worse.
The only thing that occurs in my silver games is chasing kills. People make no effort at objectives, every move seems to be going for kills. I have had a lot off 50 min games, down 30 kills and the winning team still can't win because the whole team chases one guy across the map.

3) It makes me wonder if the winning meta is just go for kills and ignore objectives. Because thats how all my games go. Kill, get super fed, kill a lot more eventually take an objective or jsut tower dive for kills and end up getting the objective on accident.

4) I think I'm going to just start ignoring my team and taking objectives and picking champs that can solo objectives. They can run around the map while I get towers.

5) Just wanted to add, what should you do when the enemy team rotates to bottom lane, so its 4 or 5 enemies and your team doesnt follow, should you join in and fight at tower 3v5, or let it go? I noticed I have a few high death games, and in all those games its because I was the only one who actually was present for teams taking objectives. I think the better strat would be to leave and take a different objective.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2017 3:55pm | Report
Ixtellor wrote:
1) There was a super 100+ post thread about this on the official league forums. Some 3 season platinum dude can't get out of silver. The thread seemed to mirror what was I was saying.

2) I played a lot of games over the past few days, and I feel like the players are worse.
The only thing that occurs in my silver games is chasing kills. People make no effort at objectives, every move seems to be going for kills. I have had a lot off 50 min games, down 30 kills and the winning team still can't win because the whole team chases one guy across the map.
These two are hard to believe together. I mean, either both you and that platinum guy got worse this season or you're misjudging your silver opponents. Maybe you're focusing on the bad ones while ignoring the ones that actually play better? IDK, but something has to explain it. You can't just say that everyone around you is getting worse and you can't climb up without admitting that you're playing worse.

Also the 100+ posts don't change much. If 10% of the people in the forums got worse they'll tend to feel the same way and will obviously post on a thread that represents them. The other 90% will mostly avoid the thread because they've seen the same argument a million times.

Ixtellor wrote:
3) It makes me wonder if the winning meta is just go for kills and ignore objectives. Because thats how all my games go. Kill, get super fed, kill a lot more eventually take an objective or jsut tower dive for kills and end up getting the objective on accident.

4) I think I'm going to just start ignoring my team and taking objectives and picking champs that can solo objectives. They can run around the map while I get towers.
Go for 4. You're just losing your patience. I know I've been playing worse because of it. It's annoying to keep playing passively against that lower elo player that keeps making mistakes but is super fed because of early random variance. You have to find the strength to keep tryharding games and going to whatever objective you can take on your own while trying to convince your teammates to help.

Ixtellor wrote:
5) Just wanted to add, what should you do when the enemy team rotates to bottom lane, so its 4 or 5 enemies and your team doesnt follow, should you join in and fight at tower 3v5, or let it go? I noticed I have a few high death games, and in all those games its because I was the only one who actually was present for teams taking objectives. I think the better strat would be to leave and take a different objective.
Kinda common mistake on Gold and lower elos (and sometimes plat and higher too). You shouldn't go "help" in a lost battle. If there are 4 enemies vs your 2 bot laners there's no point in you going after your adc died without dealing significant damage. You should go for a different objective like top/mid turret or the rift herald (probably not RH tho, he sucks).

I mean, there are cases where it's worth the risk of going to help, but remember them for what they are: risks. It's better to take a secured tower or even two if your top laner and jungler noticed what you're doing.
Ixtellor
<Member>
Ixtellor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 9, 2017 10:40am | Report
Ekki,

I don't think its about playing better or worse. I think its about damage creep and falling behind.
It seems, I may be wrong, but that players can now one shot you with just a small gold lead. Its probably due to masteries, things like lethality, new items (dusk blade) or other changes in general.

I used to die to mids at level 4 because I was dumb and got stunned and took tower shots. Now I die to level 4 mids because they backed and have two dorians rings and their full combo kills me.

Meaning, when someone gets ahead, they get WAY ahead. (400 gold first tower blood).

I may be wrong and one can always play better, but slightly ahead champs feel utterly deadly now. Add that to the fact towers don't punish them anymore and its level 5 champs diving under tower, getting a one shot kill on full tanks, and running away safely. (I actually do this all the time when I play xin, dive tower level 4, get the one shot kill then run away --- assuming they didn't already back and buy with a lead)

Its very possible its all in my head, but it really feels like carrying is just way harder this season than the past few. (I dont' mean Faker can't carry, I mean a gold can't dominate a silver like he used to)

P.S. The crazy beginning of season scramble is part of this. I had an ADC on my team yesterday in their first ranked game ever. (46cs at 22 min mark 0-6)

P.P.S My biggest pet peeve now is when you the jungler are resetting someones lane for them (after their death) AKA doing them a massive favor and punishing the enemy by denying CS and they rage ping you followed by rage int feed. Thats the joy of silver league! (By joy I mean heart attacking inducing salt rage)
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 9, 2017 12:26pm | Report
Ixtellor,

I'm struggling a bit at the moment too. Some of my observations.

I went 9-1 in my placements and ended up in Silver 4. Doing a retrospective, in pretty much every one of those games I had someone on my team either pop off and get a huge lead/use it snowball the rest of the team, or I had teammates that were willing to duke it out to the bitter end without complaining about it even when they got the **** camped out of them in laning phase.

There is some obvious damage creep, which is why Riot has nerfs incoming for the Ferocity Tree.

4-5 man dives Bot lane. Really you have to ward for it and your Bot laners have to be willing to give up their turret before the laner or jungler gets behind them (totally guilty of not doing this). It isn't anything new, last season especially when TP was on a lower time to completion and got reduced if you TPd to a tower, crash diving Bot lane was all the rage for a while and even harder to defend because of the lower time to channel TP.

Teams are better at rotating to Mid after they take the first tower. The thing they don't do very often at Silver is rotate to Top lane to get that tower after they've taken the first tower and Dragon.

On average players at Silver seem to be better at successfully turret diving when the minion wave crashes. I don't see much of that last season. Now I'm seeing it more.

Teems are pulling off 1-3-1 strategies

There are more snowbally champs in the game and they are getting played more often: Fiora, GP, Yasuo, Camille, Pantheon to name a few. If one of those gets out of control it can literally take your whole team doing well to offset that.

Builds are consistently better, probably because of op - probuilds - champion sites. I don't often see really wacky builds anymore. Lower ELO players might pick up an armor + health item before an mr + health item in the wrong order, but they will get them eventually and they always get the health which helps against both damage types.

There is also less vision now. The team that manages what you can get better usually has a big leg up.

So Riot did some things to speed the game up and that generally means whoever can get the ball rolling faster has a leg up in winning the game and there is less chance to recover. And people have gotten better at the game.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 10, 2017 12:27pm | Report
Well, I meant the thing about playing worse in the sense of normal single player variance. Maybe last year you were more fired up knowing you could get to Gold and now you don't have that same momentum.

On the topic of the meta shifting (or power creep, or whatever you want to call it), in the end the only factor you have control over is your playstyle, so maybe you were used to exploiting a single playstyle and now that playstyle is weaker. Also, tanks are really strong now (probably as an answer to power creep and penetration changes over the past months), so it's not like champions that are ahead are "utterly" deadly. Maybe it's just that tank/damage hybrid builds are on their weakest right now.

On snowballing, I guess it might be true? I'm not sure, I haven't played many serious games lately. If it were true, you should be able to better carry your games though. I'm getting a couple of mixed messages from your comments.

I think this sounds like I'm blaming you, but my point is that you probably should tweak your playstyle according to this new meta. It's not particularly worse than any of the previous ones, so you can't just expect it to change soon enough to be worth waiting it out. I wish I could help you with that but I left my tryhard somewhere around the end of season 6 :P
Ixtellor
<Member>
Ixtellor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2017 12:19pm | Report
Played 20 games this weekend. Went 6-14. (2 DC's, 2 rage int feeders)

I lost a game where I went 9-2-9 and personally took out 5 inhibs, 7 towers, and secured 3 dragons and 1 baron.

The good news is I can personally stomp and out play all the players at my current ELO. I 1v1'ed a super fed zed with ease, can solo kill bottom lane.... its not turning into wins, but its real easy to insta destroy enemies.
The only thing I can't solo is the 2 nexus towers, still working on that.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide