Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Decisions after getting invaded at your 2nd...

Creator: VexRoth July 17, 2017 7:16am
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 17, 2017 7:16am | Report
Question for all you jungling pros:

This is happened to me twice that I can recall, once last night. First time was an enemy Rengar. Last night is was by an enemy Kha'Zix.

I was playing as Maokai who can get a little low starting Red or Blue depending on how good of a leash you get from your laners.

I finished Blue Buff and then headed over to my wolves and started that camp, which is a little slow before you get Bami's Cinder/ Enchantment: Cinderhulk. I did use a charge on Refillable Potion on my way to the wolves though I believe it was finished ticking by the time I started the camp.

A wild Kha'Zix shows up and auto Q's me for a good chunk of health and he smites the big wolf out from under me so I can't get health from it. I didn't think my laners were going to be able to help me in time so I Flashed toward Mid lane and figured I would just go get my Red buff and I would simply concede Gromp . But damn if that Kha'zix didn't show up at my Red Buff and their Mid laner rotated on me too so I ended up dying.

So my question is how should I have played this? Should I have simply gone back to base and healed up? I didn't have enough money to buy anything, but I'd rather have not donated the kill gold, so what to do?
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 18, 2017 6:58am | Report
Thinking about this out loud. I still had my Smite and a strong suspicion that Kha'Zix was looking to harass me even more especially with my Flash down.

Maokai clears things reasonably quickly as long as there are bushes nearby that allow him to empower his saplings. I was only at level 2 and didn't get all the experience from the wolf camp. So only have two abilities.

Options:

1) Back and heal up.
2) Clear the raptor camp which is pretty quick for Maokai
3) Invade and take Kha'Zix's Blue Buff*

*since he was probably looking for me on my Red side jungle. Probably the riskiest choice with potentially the highest reward under the circumstances. Kha'zix could simply go to the Blue side of his jungle and find you there or catch you on the way out if you didn't B to base from there.

Option 2 would let you heal up especially if you used Smite on the big raptor, though that would mean Smite would be down for contesting for red buff. On the other hand you could load the bush beside Red Buff up with saplings to try and deter Kha'Zix from bothering you.

Of course some junglers don't have the saplings as options and I'm really looking for a more general approach to the situation.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 18, 2017 11:49pm | Report
From a strictly Maokai perspective, you could've gone Buff->Buff. Just sayin. :P

Anyway, safe strats are probably your best bet. As any jungler, you probably have Stealth Ward for your first levels, so you can place that out to avoid getting surprised. Use the blast cone over by blue if you go Red->Blue.

Other options are go to scuttle, since that's a fair amount of healing from talisman or machette. But if you're feeling real spooked, just base. The gold, especially if it's first blood gold, is not worth it on top of being out of your jungle for your death timer+walking back to wherever you think a camp is up.
True love is found only in yourself.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2017 7:17am | Report
Lugignaf wrote:
From a strictly Maokai perspective, you could've gone Buff->Buff. Just sayin. :P

Anyway, safe strats are probably your best bet. As any jungler, you probably have Stealth Ward for your first levels, so you can place that out to avoid getting surprised. Use the blast cone over by blue if you go Red->Blue.

Other options are go to scuttle, since that's a fair amount of healing from talisman or machette. But if you're feeling real spooked, just base. The gold, especially if it's first blood gold, is not worth it on top of being out of your jungle for your death timer+walking back to wherever you think a camp is up.

Thank you for taking the time to put forth some consideration to my question. :-)

Eh, I don't get invaded very often at my 2nd camp. But since I've had that play happen to me twice now, I figured I should think through/get advice on how to deal with it.

I almost always go Red > Wolves > Blue or Blue > Wolves > Red. The standard gank clear/the clear that lets me be in position to ward for my laners and counter gank if necessary.

But yeah, buff to buff is an option if I'm worried about an invade. Point. Thank you. That is definitely worthwhile to consider verses Lee Sin who I have already had problems with as Maokai or really any tank jungler that isn't as mobile or as good of a duelest.

Sometimes I have my Stealth Ward by that point and sometimes I don't. If none of my laners covers the opposite side of my jungle I will often walk over and drop my warding totem at my buff so I can have a chance of noticing it being cheesed.

Hadn't considered going to Rift Scuttler . As in Blue > Scuttle? Or Blue > Wolves (Oh, **** I need some health because of nasty nasty Kha'Zix) > Blue side scuttle?
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 21, 2017 2:24am | Report
Usually, I do scuttle right after the buff. It's a quick decision sometimes, but it allows you to get info about what the enemy is doing, since it allows you to pace the river, and ward in specific spots. It also doesn't do damage, so using it as sustain is very important.

As an aside, it's safer to do against skillshot reliant champions. Doing it against a Kha is a lot riskier than doing it against Lee, just because of Sonic Wave vs Taste Their Fear.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 21, 2017 6:19am | Report
Lugignaf wrote:
Usually, I do scuttle right after the buff. It's a quick decision sometimes, but it allows you to get info about what the enemy is doing, since it allows you to pace the river, and ward in specific spots. It also doesn't do damage, so using it as sustain is very important.

As an aside, it's safer to do against skillshot reliant champions. Doing it against a Kha is a lot riskier than doing it against Lee, just because of Sonic Wave vs Taste Their Fear.

So if against an invasive jungler you might go Blue Buff > Scuttle to heal up before taking on the rest of your jungle clear?
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2017 2:03am | Report
VexRoth wrote:

So if against an invasive jungler you might go Blue Buff > Scuttle to heal up before taking on the rest of your jungle clear?

Sort of, yes. The heal is great, as is the vision. But if you get caught doing it, you could easily be hosed unless mid/sidelane comes to help.

Since most junglers have sustain skills, doing scuttle lets them happen more, in addition to whatever they're getting form machete or talisman.

And in the end, it all comes down to preference. There's plenty of times where I could have/should have gone to wolves/raptors instead of scuttle, so I can gank at level 3 faster. But I didn't, so I lost out. It's really up to you.
True love is found only in yourself.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide