Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Has Riot lost their minds?

Creator: caucheka October 18, 2012 3:31pm
Yukimaru
<Member>
Yukimaru's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2012 9:44pm | Report
Its fine its all cosmetic and i believe in their consumer-research thingys or how u can call dat, i guess they do the right thing and as long as its cosmetic personally i cant be ****ing bothered, i dont care bout summoner icons teddy bear is best...and ward skins...they are pretty cheap...i would buy em maybe once or smthing...but rly...i wouldnt give ****s about how the ward looks like when im ingame...neither in my team nor the enemie side

E: Damn i made so much mistakes...just stood up and need to go to work in 3 minutes so gomen xD
Vol.13
<Member>
Vol.13's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2012 9:51pm | Report
Wards with skins last longer? No

Speacial summoner icon makes you win more games? No

So, who cares. It's just another opportuny for the rich ppl to waste the money.
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2012 10:45pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

1. They're skins for wards, who cares. Might even encourage people to ward more often.

This is a decent point, and i could encourage this if it is, indeed, the case. Buy a ward, save a life.

On the general topic, a few points (this is all just IMO of course, take it with a grain of salt)

1) LoL is a F2P game. You don't even have to pay to GET the game, they offer it as a free download on their website. Riot has to make money somewhere.
2) Not only that, but they have taken great strides to make this as absolutely free of any and all 'pay to win' advantages. Nothing that you could possibly spend RP on will make you a better player (on the contrary, if you buy all of your runes with RP the instant you hit 20, you will probably be much worse off for it since you don't have the actual experience to use them properly). Everything that is bought with RP (rune exception) is strictly aesthetic.
3) All of this "BUY THIS NOW GET SO MUCH GREAT ****" is pretty much aimed at people that have more money than common sense. Or any sense of self restraint to speak of. So congratulations to you, sir, for having the braincells necessary to recognize this and NOT get pulled into the ocean of idiocy. It's not illegal for corporations to take advantage of stupid people. On the contrary, ALOT of businesses survive strictly because people don't pay attention to the fine print, or actually think about what they are buying. Case in point:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670632/itypewriter-yes-its-an-ipad-typewriter

I guess what i'm trying to say is, Riot is a fair company that treats its players fairly well. They have very regular updates, patches, bug fixes, new champs, champion balancing acts, and player recognition and interaction (alot more than can be said for Blizzard, who charges 50$ to buy WoW and 50$ for every expansion AND 15$ a month besides, with features like 'access' to admins in game, who can take up to 8 hours+ to respond to your open ticket request for help). If they want to charge people money to get bling, let them. If they want to charge exorbitant amounts of money for "special" bling so that the "special" people with full wallets and empty skulls can feel super good about themselves, let them. You aren't one of those "special" people. Neither am I. Let us laugh at them together instead of rage at Riot for taking advantage of idiots.
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
BlackIceT
<Member>
BlackIceT's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 19, 2012 12:24am | Report
I like buying nice skins and champs when they are on sale with RP. I find it spices things up a bit for my most commonly played champs. Makes them look a little cooler. On the note of the ward skins, I will probably buy one pack of Haunting Wards for 800IP just for the Halloween spirit but then after that one week is up I will not buy any extra.

In regards to the icons I could care less. Icons are worthless and it doesn't help that the only one I like is the most expensive one -_-.

I personally believe that this marketing strategy will not go over too well for RIOT.

My #1 Guides:

Check out my new Cassiopeia Guide: Cassiopeia - The Venomous Monarch

Thank you Jhoijhoi for my stamps!
A Chubby Baby
<Veteran>
A Chubby Baby's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 19, 2012 1:50am | Report
yea. the ward thing sounds unreasonable. i'd say, one price, for a lifetime duration.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 19, 2012 2:02am | Report
There are a lot of things in life that we want but can't get. This is just another one.

Get over yourself.
Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 19, 2012 2:46am | Report
I'm pretty sure Riot wants to have people changing wards when the season change. They leave it there so if you want that ward for a whole year you can but when spring time rolls around and spring wards come out, I personally don't wanna see halloween theme **** still there in a different season.

Regarding summoner icons, vote with your wallet. If you don't support Riot's decisions with that, then don't buy RP and get any. I'm buying RP for beast skins and cause even though playoffs were a bit questionable, the world championship was pretty good so I'll "award" Riot with my money. Also, my $20 in RP contribution will also be a small pat on the back to Riot for "fixing TT".

Just vote with your wallet if you don't see fit.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 19, 2012 2:52am | Report
they arnt really losing their minds because its not like theyre forcing you to buy anything...ive never used a single RP point since ive played this game or bought a single one nor do i own any skins mainly because i only like a few of them but its not like i really need them

the ward skins just seem eh to me, if other people can see them then its pretty cool but if yer the only one not really worth it

but still just because they have optional ward skins to buy and optional icons to get doesnt mean theyve "lost their mind" thats like saying theyve lost their mind every time they release a new skin that YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Vitigam
<Member>
Vitigam's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 19, 2012 4:15am | Report

Well I didn't realize they were FORCING us to buy their stuff caucheka.

Oh wait..They aren't? Well then I have no idea why you're *****ing.

They run on a micro transaction system I fail to see where this delves into the realm of "complaint worthy".

Next thing you know you'll be saying this is all EA's fault. I respect your level of concern, but honestly when you have a CHOICE to do something (with little to no harm for NOT doing it)there is really no room for you (or anyone) to complain.

^ This
Thanks to [/url]Arcana3

Check Out All These Peeps Who Make Sigs <3
LaCorpse, Jhoijhoi, Miss Maw, Arcana3
Xiron
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 19, 2012 4:17am | Report
Guys.. Calm down.
Imagine Alaplaya would run LoL:

Skins last max 30 days
Skins have extra boni:
Pulsfire Ezreal: All Base Statts miltuplied by 2, Movementspeed start with 400. You gain 30 Start AD more, you have automaticly 50% dmgreduce on every damage.

That would be if alaplaya is in possesion of LoL..
so stop *****ing for Riots awesome ideas.

not to forget:
Alaplaya: You need to buy weapons for your champs that only last 30 days. these weapons can be enchanted up to +20 inc. forcepacks etc. lololol!

Edit: Ah and only buyable with RP!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide