Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

I have a friend new to league.

Creator: TheReallityOfJax October 27, 2015 5:56am
Also what roles should he be playing in high mmr i dont think adc but?
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 27, 2015 10:14am | Report
If it's really high MMR your friend won't be doing too much learning and just be getting stomped. I would recommend he plays support, so that at least he's not by himself nor has to focus on farming. Going to any solo lane would mean he's on a 1v1 with someone who might stomp him, going jungle shouldn't even be on the poll and the adc draws significantly more focus than the support, plus he may lose a lot of farm or die trying to focus on farming. Then again, he would have to play other roles regularly, to avoid being "locked as support", and he could probably need some personal coaching in those games (someone reminding him that he should farm, position well, look at the map, etc.).
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 27, 2015 10:14am | Report
MungoGeri wrote:

The situation that we are talking about is a new player playing with and against higher mmr players. A brand new player playing ADC is likely to get frustrated by all the likely deaths that come from having a big target on his or her back. As a frequent support player, I know as well as you that playing support involves a lot of subtle decision making. However, it's likely to be more forgiving and less frustrating for a new player as the OP gradually coaches his or her friend on the more subtle aspects of the game. I suggested Nami since she can stand back more and can give a new player the feeling that they are helping the team even if they end up dying too much. Leona is also good, because her tankiness helps a new player survive and her basic attack pattern is to mash her keyboard.

Similarly, a caster with a decent cast range can make it easier for a new player to hide behind the more experienced players and feel like they're contributing. You just have to tell the person to stay back and lob spells into the fray. As the person becomes more experienced, he or she can learn how to better position themselves and make even better plays.

What you're describing is a difficulty in winning games for a new player.

What vyn is talking about is learning to play a role.

If you were thrown into a match with higher mmr players, of course some roles are easier and some are harder to win with.

However, learning to play a role requires similar amounts of effort. Some require more mechanical prowess, some require more thoughtfulness - at the end of the day you're learning how to impact a game of 5v5 with your specific role.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 27, 2015 10:20am | Report
Embracing wrote:

What vyn is talking about is learning to play a role.

If you were thrown into a match with higher mmr players, of course some roles are easier and some are harder to win with.

However, learning to play a role requires similar amounts of effort. Some require more mechanical prowess, some require more thoughtfulness - at the end of the day you're learning how to impact a game of 5v5 with your specific role.
This. If you want him to learn, prepare to lose a lot of games.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 27, 2015 10:42am | Report
League is about fun, just let the guy play what he enjoys most, even if he's not good at it. In the long term it'll help him more than to babysit his *** on a support. Besides that, it's more likely that the player will also do better on something he enjoys playing.

Aside from that, what Mundogeri recommends are a number of high-skillcap champions. If you really want a low-leveled player to do well, you need to give him a one-dimensional champion (like Soraka, but also other simple champions like Garen/Maokai/etc) so he/her can focus on one thing and that only.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 27, 2015 10:59am | Report
MungoGeri wrote:

Wow, man. Try getting up on the other side of the bed from now on. You might end up having a better disposition.

The situation that we are talking about is a new player playing with and against higher mmr players. A brand new player playing ADC is likely to get frustrated by all the likely deaths that come from having a big target on his or her back. As a frequent support player, I know as well as you that playing support involves a lot of subtle decision making. However, it's likely to be more forgiving and less frustrating for a new player as the OP gradually coaches his or her friend on the more subtle aspects of the game. I suggested Nami since she can stand back more and can give a new player the feeling that they are helping the team even if they end up dying too much. Leona is also good, because her tankiness helps a new player survive and her basic attack pattern is to mash her keyboard.

Similarly, a caster with a decent cast range can make it easier for a new player to hide behind the more experienced players and feel like they're contributing. You just have to tell the person to stay back and lob spells into the fray. As the person becomes more experienced, he or she can learn how to better position themselves and make even better plays.

Supports are more challenging during the laning part imo. You need to know when to use your abilities to have them up when you need, ward properly, manage mana, see when you have time to ward etc.

ADC is pretty straightforward. People without any positioning skill might end up in Plat V or something, since people don't really know how to punish for that stuff before that.

I'd say that play whatever you like and try out different things.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 27, 2015 11:13am | Report
Yeah, to be honest, I'd agree with just letting them pick whatever and letting them find out what works for them. Once they find something they like, you can teach them how to play more effectively afterwards.
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 27, 2015 3:06pm | Report
Embracing wrote:

Eh... sort of, but not really. It's more like I'm trying to help the new player avoid frustration that sours them from continuing to play the game.

The way the OP described the situation, I'm picturing that this new player is mostly interested in the social aspect of the game and being a part of the group. Perhaps the player is a relative or significant other, who wants to play with this group of people but isn't likely to play the game much on their own. (That is, unless the person ends up enjoying LOL much more than they originally expected).

With this kind of a player, you wouldn't want to, say, place them at ADC cold turkey only to get killed 10 times in a row by a Shaco appearing out of nowhere and one-shotting them, because they don't know how to deal with the situation. Yes, that moment could be a good lesson where you could teach them something about the game and the character they're playing, but if the person is really just there to be social and isn't interested in becoming an expert in the game, then all those deaths and the attempt to teach him or her will likely lead to frustration.

That's why I suggested, since the OP is asking us for advice on role/champions, that characters like Nami, Leona, Ziggs, or Lux would be good. ( Soraka as others have mentioned is also an excellent choice). I remember playing all of these characters when I was new and remember that I was able to quickly understand their kits and have fun with them. I know Vynertje thinks that Nami is a "high skillcap" character, but he's thinking in terms of high ELO ranked games where coordination is key. She's a perfectly fine fun newbie character who can heal her teammates, fire a big tidal wave at the enemy team, and maybe once in a while hit a bubble stun. And the nice thing is that if the player does decide to put more time into playing LoL, Nami is a good character to have in one's back pocket when playing in higher ELO games.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 27, 2015 3:35pm | Report
Seriously, I don't want to have to call you out for talking **** constantly but you really have to quit this **** lmao. You're making conflicted statements and some others just don't make sense at all. I'm totally fine with everyone having different opinions, but do present them as such instead of claiming them as facts and unnecessary remarks towards others.

I really shouldn't even bother putting in the effort to try and disprove you, but just to use your Nami example:

Quoted:

you wouldn't want to, say, place them at ADC cold turkey only to get killed 10 times in a row

So you're saying it's better to put them on a champion that is even more vulnerable to ganks, cc etc. and has very distinct strengths and weaknesses rather than for example a very safe and one-dimensional ADC like Tristana?

Quoted:

I know Vynertje thinks that Nami is a "high skillcap" character, but he's thinking in terms of high ELO ranked games where coordination is key

I find it hilarious at the very least that you think you know what I'm basing my statements on, because this makes no sense at all. Communication and coordination is as much of a non-factor in high level solo queue than it is in silver, perhaps until you get challenger - and it certainly isn't a factor I'm taking into account.
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 27, 2015 3:59pm | Report
You know that you can play Warwick jungle with tank masteries and not die at low levels?
It's not hard I tried it on my lvl 13 summoner and lived until I ran oom.
Every other jungler sucks tho.

Also can I point out that if you think tanks are hard to play in this season you're really kidding yourself and the extent of your abilities because Garen, Malphite Leona are easy to play like honestly. I'd honestly suggest Sivir or Graves or Caitlyn rather than Ashe
Also if you think Nami is easy to play against people with more skill than you, just try fighting a losing lane without landing Aqua Prison because it's not going to happen.

Basically MOBAFire.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 27, 2015 4:59pm | Report
I mean, the point is that while you're able to survive as Warwick jungle, you aren't really going to be able to learn how to jungle effectively. You won't fully understand when to gank, how to set up counterganks, etc. A player new to the game, may also be spending an incorrect amount of time in the jungle. It's like trying to teach someone how to drive a stick shift car. You let them learn it right the first time. You don't teach them how to do it the wrong way, and then correct them later on.

Nami, Garen, Malphite, and Leona are all pretty hard to play well. Garens can take ****ty trades early, and fail to have any presence late game if they position poorly.
Malphite and Leona involve some knowledge about your own team, and your opponents positioning. Seeing Malphites and Leonas just R (or E) into the opponents team without their teammates expecting it, or being in a position to follow up still happens in plat.

If a role was actually easy to play, then there'd be no reason why vynnie or vapora wouldn't be in the LCS. ****, there'd be no reason why i'd not be on TSM.

Learning exactly when to Teleport is something that pros still **** up.

Basically, I think that right before your friend finally learns how to play a certain role, he's going to have to lose a lot of games.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks for the sig, MissMaw!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide