Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Is This Normal?

Creator: Joshayy July 4, 2015 12:33pm
15 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
Joshayy
<Member>
Joshayy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 4, 2015 12:33pm | Report
Okay I just finished my 10th ranked game on my account, I thought I was gonna get placed in Bronze (like my friends) but instead I ended up skipping bronze entirely and ended up at Silver IV... Is this normal or did I just get lucky?
Scythe-Er
<Member>
Scythe-Er's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 4, 2015 12:44pm | Report
It's normal, not everybody gets put in Bronze after their placements.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 4, 2015 4:19pm | Report
I dare say it's very normal to get placed around silver IV.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Savlonic
<Member>
Savlonic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 12, 2015 12:09am | Report
I believe post season 3 it was made "easier" to place silver than it is to place bronze, assuming you don't lose every one of your placement matches. I might be totally wrong but I thought I recalled this being the case.
Sig by TheNameless ^ Check out my Nasus guide ^
bobbyjoeson
<Member>
bobbyjoeson's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2015 8:43am | Report
Yeah its normal.
Get Up To 25% Off Games at http://ubergamingzone.com
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2015 9:02am | Report
Silver is far closer to an average player's skill than Bronze is. Therefore getting placed in Silver is normal.

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2015 9:12am | Report
Janitsu wrote:
Silver is far closer to an average player's skill than Bronze is. Therefore getting placed in Silver is normal.

You do realize you're implying that a new player jumping into ranked on average has a silver skill level (which, I may add, makes no sense at all)?
Sirnikolai
<Member>
Sirnikolai's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2015 4:55pm | Report
I know I'm an above average player:) My placements matches were just with unlucky teammates. I gotta work on playing against Teemo& others like him because of his passive, which the wards did not reveal him:( only show the traps (shrooms)
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2015 8:14pm | Report
Sirnikolai wrote:
I know I'm an above average player:) My placements matches were just with unlucky teammates. I gotta work on playing against Teemo& others like him because of his passive, which the wards did not reveal him:( only show the traps (shrooms)

I assume you meant your trinket. If you upgrade to oracles, that will show teemo.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2015 10:22pm | Report
It depends on how many games you won. If you lose more than 5 out of the 10 games, you'll probably end up in Bronze. While if you win 5 or more, you'll probably end up in Silver. This is assuming you never ranked before.

Apart from the win/lose proportion, there's two other things you must have in account:
1. Previous placements. If you were bronze 5 last season, you'll need more wins to climb. New ranked players start as if they were around bronze 1/silver 5 in a previous season iirc.
2. Your opponents/allies. Some people might win the same amount of games but they'll still end up in different divisions. This is specially variable in placement matches, since you may win your first 6 games in a row, then be placed against gold players, so you end up in silver 2 with 6 wins/4 loses. In contrast, someone who started losing 4 games, then won 6 games against bronze/silver players may end up in silver 4 with the same 6 wins/4 loses score. I used the most extreme examples, but you'll regularly see that there is some small variance in starting players with the same win/lose ratio. Even if they happen in the same order, sometimes the matchmaking just puts low tier players in your side and high ones in the other, and winning those game gives you more "points" (ELO), while losing rests less.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide