Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Riot like a boss (Did Duff Propose or sth?).

Creator: Nighthawk February 16, 2012 4:35pm
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2012 4:49pm | Report
Well it just depends. It was a rework.

Building super tanky is no longer optimal. You get those stats for free now.

Building tanky BEFORE was optimal when factoring the flat damage reduction.

Consider champions like Swain, Teemo, and Cass, and how ****ed they were by 40 flat damage reduction on EVERY TICK of their stuff. They couldn't even hurt you.

Now they can.

So now you get free defensive stats, which should free up inventory for more damage.

I'm not sure if I like the rework or not. I think it makes him a champion who's good for 8 seconds and then sucks **** but we'll see. Maybe I'm wrong.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Luther3000 wrote:

Pretty sure the multiplicative scaling on Armour/MR makes 20/30/40 flat damage reduction better than 30/45/60 Armor and Magic Resist.

In many, and probably most cases, you are correct sir.
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
I think that's an overbuff to Olaf but hey we don't know until we see it.

Mana change to the jungle is really really interesting. It's not much, but it's something. Will give Skarner an indirect huge buff, along with many other junglers of his sort of kin.
]
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2012 4:51pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

I'm not seeing how that was a buff to his ult at all.

Pretty sure the multiplicative scaling on Armour/MR makes 20/30/40 flat damage reduction better than 30/45/60 Armour and Magic Resist.

Yeah I guess good point.

In team fights I guess it helps for stopping damage from carries but in tanky DPS vs tanky DPS fights I'd take the flat any day.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2012 4:52pm | Report
Nighthawk wrote:

@Duff

Clear even faster now, and increase his ability to dragon solo :o

Oh, and counter jungle.

Yah the buff to his axe probly made his clear time ridunkulous.

And now that he gets armor and MR for free, he actually could be a ***n legit jangler now.
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2012 4:58pm | Report
DuffTime wrote:

Yah the buff to his axe probly made his clear time ridunkulous.

And now that he gets armor and MR for free, he actually could be a ***n legit jangler now.

Even more ridiculous than it previously was - which was very.

He doesn't get it for free, anyway - he needs to ult for it, unless your argument is that he doesn't need to farm as much, in which case I guess so but a similar argument could've been used for the old ult.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2012 5:01pm | Report
It's not that he doesn't need to farm as much, it's just the way that the new stats allow him to apply the new farm.

Basically meaning Wriggle's Merc tread Fro-mal Olaf in the jungle is like a free smini-tank with the big resistances for about 8 seconds.

I think he still needs farm more than most jungle champions. Maybe even more now, and now he has a good ratio on axe, so building AD might be pretty effective and maybe even necessary.
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2012 5:33pm | Report
DuffTime wrote:

It's not that he doesn't need to farm as much, it's just the way that the new stats allow him to apply the new farm.

Basically meaning Wriggle's Merc tread Fro-mal Olaf in the jungle is like a free smini-tank with the big resistances for about 8 seconds.

I think he still needs farm more than most jungle champions. Maybe even more now, and now he has a good ratio on axe, so building AD might be pretty effective and maybe even necessary.

Yeah, I guess they do.

Same could be said for Wriggles > Merc > FroMa top lane Olaf.

I guess the fact he doesn't have any gap closer or hard CC means he's constantly taking hits and needs to be able to take hits. One of the reasons Olaf isn't all that great in the jungle right now is because he needs quite a bit more farm. He also can't gank properly (but has really good counterganks) which is really the bigger reason, but whatever.
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2012 5:57pm | Report
Well actually I like Olaf in the jungle quite a bit, free farm is never a bad thing.

He's a pretty good counter jungle too, and like Xen says, you counter gank all day long. Might as well just farm all day long anyways. I'm thinking Gunblade is pretty darn good on him again though (well not as good as it was but still pretty good).

DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2012 6:29pm | Report
Xenasis wrote:

Yeah, I guess they do.

Same could be said for Wriggles > Merc > FroMa top lane Olaf.

I guess the fact he doesn't have any gap closer or hard CC means he's constantly taking hits and needs to be able to take hits. One of the reasons Olaf isn't all that great in the jungle right now is because he needs quite a bit more farm. He also can't gank properly (but has really good counterganks) which is really the bigger reason, but whatever.

Right. That's why I've told people for ages now not to even bother jungling.

He's always been good at the FUNCTION, cleared fast, ganked well, can solo dragon easily at 6 with ulti and wriggles, etc etc. He's a very good -jungler- in every sense but one. And it's an important one.

Gear independence.

However, this rework may have given him a certain element of gear independence. We'll just have to see if it's enough gear independence to be able to build tanky enough to survive and to be able to build enough damage to be able to use his axe's ratio and his passive well.

Be it lane or jungle, I think this rework completely changes his dynamic as a champion. So we'll see how it goes. I might have to archive my guide and make a new one o:

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide