Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Spell Vamp?

Creator: Hamtronix March 25, 2013 11:00am
22 posts - page 1 of 3
1 2 3
Hamtronix
<Member>
Hamtronix's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2013 11:00am | Report
I feel most at home with AP champs/mid lane and I've been browsing a lot of builds for various champs and don't see any vamp items taken often, if at all. Why is it that life steal on AD is so desirable but vamp on AP isn't? I've been playing with Nidalee a bit recently and find that vamp off of a stacked spear can be rather beneficial for sustain.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2013 11:22am | Report
Vamp gives you the same percentage value as lifesteal in most cases, but ADs can attack several times per second and will be critting while APs are generally restricted to casting spells at a much slower rate thanks to cooldowns and mana. You basically get a large amount of constant healing from lifesteal while spellvamp is a lot more unreliable and mostly only does anything worthwhile on DPS mages.

Spellvamp was actually considered really good for the first half of season 2 but then they nerfed hextech/wota repeatedly.
Hamtronix
<Member>
Hamtronix's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2013 12:04pm | Report
I understand the "on hit" aspect of it and why vamp isn't as effective as LS... But what about in the case of Nid (or even Lux) with a fully stacked Deathcap, MP, and other AP items.... that spear (and ult beam) takes a HUGE chunk out of the enemy. So that plus something like Spectral Wraith with 20% vamp would, as far as I can reason, be something worth getting?
Hamtronix
<Member>
Hamtronix's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2013 12:05pm | Report
Plus the 10 in CDR, mana regen, and some AP is really helpful.
Hamtronix
<Member>
Hamtronix's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2013 12:06pm | Report
Or Hextech?
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2013 12:19pm | Report
Here's the thing though, Nidalee and Lux are very long range and shouldn't be getting hit much. Lux is all about burst and Nidalee already has a heal. As far as I can see you'd much rather be buying a something like a Morello/Unholy Grail into Deathcap + Void combo on them both so that you can spam your spears/combo at maximum effectiveness. By the time you can afford space in your build for spellvamp, you have absolutely no need for it anymore. Additionally every ability Lux has is AoE and AoE abilities only apply 33% of the listed spellvamp.

Burst champions are especially bad with spellvamp since you tend to use all your abilities right away at the start of a fight and then do nothing for a good ten seconds, making your spellvamp useless. Some champs spellvamp is actually okay on would be Vladimir, Ryze or Karthus.
Shuru
<Member>
Shuru's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2013 12:38pm | Report
just going to throw it out there, would cassiopea work? I know most of her moves are AoE but she does have that single target burst spell that is easily spammable, would IT work well with spell vamp?

I don't play cass but I'm looking to try her some time.
Ban out GoodPlays GG
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2013 12:41pm | Report
I think it's not bad on Cass, Revolver used to be a very common item on her pre-nerf. Not an expert though.
Arcana3
<Altruistic Artist>
Arcana3's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2013 1:24pm | Report
Cass with revolver is bad, even though you can spam the Twin Bite, her close range, and lack of escape make spell vamp almost stupidly bad on her, because she will die before she even gets any heal out of it, for example twin bites deals about 300 without ap bonus at level 9 (i think), you would get 12% of that, so i think thats about 30 life? you would die before that would matter honestly. Spell vamp is only really good on champions that can take that damage and heal themselves over a period of time so for example, Rumble is good with it. Swain is good with it. Vlad is good with it. These champions that can do burst but can also heal themselves exceptional well/tank exceptional well do good with it. I use spell vamp on assassins too but it depends on the assassin. For example Ahri does ok with it because of her passive, as does akali. Both are burst Assassin type mage characters. Keep in mind though that both have a passive that GIVES them spell vamp too.
Thanks to everyone that has made me a sig!

Lacorpse JhoiJhoi Missmaw Xiron Xiao Kat CM Nameless Tinystar Me

Feel Free to +rep if I helped you out
pentakill penny
<Member>
pentakill penny's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2013 1:25pm | Report
spectral wraith > wota/gunblade
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide